TV Home Forum

The Chase | Beat the Chasers

Beat the Chasers S2 launches Sun 3 Jan (April 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
TV
iloveTV1
ITV using the "close contact cohort" excuse.

Far too many loop holes in this country when it comes to covid.
ITV should be keeping it simple and sticking to the same message on all of its high profile shows/ brands.

I agree, there’s really no need for them to be touching tbh, many people will see them socially distanced at the desk and understand. Especially since they’re airing now and not in a years time.

Exactly. I could understand for Corrie or something, but even the ‘elbow’ could’ve been done instead of shaking hands.
BR
Brekkie
If they were using it to make filming the soaps easier and look more natural it would be understandable, but for contact on a quiz show where it absolutely isn't required is very frustrating - especially for the many people across the country who've been unable to have physical contact with their relatives - or even visit them in the same room - for seven months now.
JO
Jon
It doesn’t make a lot of sense I agree, but you’re being a bit overdramatic about it.
BR
Brekkie
It's personal - as it will be for many viewers. The football is annoying enough but I'm aware that for professional sport to play on there needs to be close interaction between players - that isn't required in The Chase.

Also think it isn't just a slap in the face for families of people in care homes but also for the rest of the TV industry too who have pretty much unanimously abided to the rules pretty strictly.
JO
Joe
I think I’m with Brekkie on this one. It looks rubbish. I think if you have to explain which loophole you’re using, it’s probably not worth doing on a light quiz show. Do the distancing, or don’t, but stick with it. Being inconsistent does, I think, send the wrong message and just looks silly.
Brekkie and Meridian AM gave kudos
SC
Score
If they were all tested then why bother with the long table at all?

It doesn’t particularly bother me but it is odd - either do it properly or don’t bother at all.
JO
Jonwo
It's personal - as it will be for many viewers. The football is annoying enough but I'm aware that for professional sport to play on there needs to be close interaction between players - that isn't required in The Chase.

Also think it isn't just a slap in the face for families of people in care homes but also for the rest of the TV industry too who have pretty much unanimously abided to the rules pretty strictly.

How are you going to cope with shows like Strictly and Dancing on Ice which require close contact or indeed scripted shows which have been filming in the last few months and likely require close contact.
AN
Andrew Founding member
Getting close to other people isn’t key to the format on The Chase, they could stay distanced and still make a fairly normal show, so I don’t know why they’ve decided to ride so close to the rules on this.
chevron, Meridian AM and Brekkie gave kudos
BR
Brekkie
Jonwo posted:

How are you going to cope with shows like Strictly and Dancing on Ice which require close contact or indeed scripted shows which have been filming in the last few months and likely require close contact.

I'm aware that for a show like Strictly or DoI to go ahead that is required - but you can be almost certain that Tess and Claudia won't be hugging the dancers after each performance (on screen), which is what Bradley is effectively doing here.

I think it's the fact that most shows have handled the changes so well which make the lapses here all the more noticeable. As we've discussed here over the last few months it isn't just about doing the right thing, it's about being seen to do the right thing as well - and to be honest you expect a flagship show like The Chase to be an example of good practice.
AR
Archie
Last edited by Archie on 17 October 2020 11:17pm
SC
Score
Getting close to other people isn’t key to the format on The Chase, they could stay distanced and still make a fairly normal show, so I don’t know why they’ve decided to ride so close to the rules on this.

I expect part of the reason is so that when these episodes are repeated in four years time they won’t look too abnormal. Unlike Strictly or DOI shows like The Chase get repeated a lot.
JO
jonniew
Score posted:
I expect part of the reason is so that when these episodes are repeated in four years time they won’t look too abnormal. Unlike Strictly or DOI shows like The Chase get repeated a lot.

I get that but at the same time, no one is going to forget this pandemic quickly, I think the impact on mental health will be longer lasting than the virus itself, so I'm sure if they ended up being repeated no one would be sitting going "WTF is going on?!"

At the very least, it would be an interesting bit of trivia that people might recall when watching the episodes.

Meanwhile, right now - I don't think it sends a very good message to the public, because whilst I don't count myself in their numbers, you can guarantee there will be people who watched that tonight and will go, well they're not social distancing so why should I bother.

Newer posts