This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
SP
Steve in Pudsey
So niche on the filing cabinet close-up. Love the gag

If only one of those filling cabinet drawers was labelled "TVS Archive"... Razz

Given who made Mr Majeika, I think that was the joke Smile
IS
Inspector Sands
That's not an incarnation of the Southern Star logo, on that mug that I recognise.

But there's also under the red button on the desk, some yellow card with 'Southern ITV' on it.

Looks like it says '<something> intellegence, Southern ITV, Southampton'

The yellow paper on the desk is an authentic looking
'Southern Television. Details of Engagements, Sound Unit'

Lots of nice details in that one photo. In the top right, in front of the fax machine is a golden loaf of bread, the prize given to the winner of The Sandwich Quiz on number 73
Last edited by Inspector Sands on 17 October 2020 9:48am - 3 times in total
SP
Steve in Pudsey
Is that the How logo before intelligence? Possibly an original caption used to show the address
HA
harshy Founding member
I didn’t realise on Amazon Prime they had old How 2s including the second series from 1991 complete with TVS endcap Very Happy

The theme tune has been jazzed up however I don’t remember it like that.
IT
IndigoTucker
Not just me who noticed the theme tune was different! Hugh Mitchell-Dawson's very 1990s sampled piece is classic. "HOOOW2" , "HOOW"
NT
Night Thoughts
I never realised the original How aired as long ago as 1966. (And according to Wikipedia, the pilot was aimed at adults!) Always associated it with the late 70s and garish colours. Without wishing to raise too many questions about the archives of television stations for the south of England, I wonder how many of those original shows remain.
WH
Whataday Founding member
I never realised the original How aired as long ago as 1966. (And according to Wikipedia, the pilot was aimed at adults!) Always associated it with the late 70s and garish colours. Without wishing to raise too many questions about the archives of television stations for the south of England, I wonder how many of those original shows remain.

If any survive the safest bet is that they'd be in the Wessex Film and Sound Archive which I understand holds thousands of tapes rescued from Television Centre, Southampton when it closed.
IS
Inspector Sands

If any survive the safest bet is that they'd be in the Wessex Film and Sound Archive which I understand holds thousands of tapes rescued from Television Centre, Southampton when it closed.

The Southern TV archive (except local programmes) was sold to a company called Southern Star Group* after it went off air. So there's not the same issue as there is with anything made by its successor. Hence repeats of Runaround appear on Talking Pictures TV. Obviously that doesn't mean that it all still exists.

I wouldn't have thought that much of Southerns programme output would have been left in the building 20 years later. The Wessex Film archive say they only have 'local TV and radio programmes'

* I think it's the same Southern Star Group that's now part of Endemol?
Last edited by Inspector Sands on 17 October 2020 6:11pm
HC
Hatton Cross
If they are, then Southern Star Group became EndemolShine Australia a couple of years ago, so by default (and takeovers) now Banijay Australia.
BE
Ben Founding member
I believe the people behind Talking Pictures, Renown, own the Southern archive thesedays.
IS
Inspector Sands
Ben posted:
I believe the people behind Talking Pictures, Renown, own the Southern archive thesedays.

Wikipedia mentions that, but I can see no evidence that they do.

The BFI used to have a webpage that had details of who owned what but I think that's gone, or not been updated
WH
Whataday Founding member
I wouldn't have thought that much of Southerns programme output would have been left in the building 20 years later. The Wessex Film archive say they only have 'local TV and radio programmes'

And in the early days it was a local programme, which is why the WFSA is the best bet.

Newer posts