TV Home Forum

Integrated sponsorship in titles

Split from Challenge - June 2016 onwards (October 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
BR
Brekkie
They were never quite as good once HSBC bought them out. Did like the ITV Drama Premiere and ITV Movie Premiere stings in the hearts era though.
RI
Richard
Always liked this:

NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
Take The High Road sponsor integration, December 1992:

And at the other end, still there in 1994:

Re: Raise The Roof, scant consolation for Bob Holness there after Blockbusters was unceremoniously dumped. Great presenter (rarely seen on TV outside of shirt and tie even when he appeared on The Big Breakfast), but realistically RTR was too overproduced and not really his style. The sponsorship I believe was tied to a home viewer game which was later scrapped, along with the sponsorship.
Last edited by Neil Jones on 16 October 2020 11:24pm - 3 times in total
WH
Whataday Founding member
They were never quite as good once HSBC bought them out. Did like the ITV Drama Premiere and ITV Movie Premiere stings in the hearts era though.

HSBC already owned them, having bought them out in 1992.
BC
Blake Connolly Founding member
One thing that still has sponsorship integrated into the opening titles is the UEFA Champions League. There's also the added complication that they have eight sponsors, cycling through two each week, so for recorded content like match highlights the titles have to be played out as separate clips to the programmes.
SO
Soupnzi
With a ridiculous cringey link between BT and the show
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylDMi63avHs

These integrated sponsorship titles are in a way much more intrusive than what we have now even with all the relaxations of the sponsorship rules and product placement

Would have been interesting to see a new bit of Corrie theme added to the start of Corrie, how iconic it is is probably why it didn’t happen

‘The programme that treats how we talk and listen to each other as a way to a better quality of life’

What absolute guff; it bears no relation to This Morning or indeed, any programme. It’s such incoherent management speak, it reminds me of that bit in Alan Partridge’s Mid Morning Matters where he wrongly reads an internal briefing note as an on-air slogan (‘sustaining and maintaining our core listenership in an increasingly fragmented marketplace’)
Night Thoughts, W1LL and rdobbie gave kudos
AN
Andrew Founding member
It’s like those away days we’ve probably all been on where you have to brainstorm around the new company goals and come up with a strap line, and it always ends up an all encompassing sentence that shoe horns in all five company aims in a totally unnatural way. And then the winning one gets printed on some mouse mats.
BR
Brekkie
I always liked how the sponsorship was done for the 1998 World Cup

And they did something similar for the 1999 Rugby World Cup

Is this the earliest example of this type of sponsorship - the 1991 Rugby World Cup:
Last edited by Brekkie on 17 October 2020 12:06am
DE88, Night Thoughts and Richard gave kudos
WH
Whataday Founding member
Apparently BT Talkworks was the sponsor of the first ever programme to be fully funded by sponsorship. A Phillip Schofield fronted show called Now We're Talking. It was a show about, well, treating "how we talk and listen to each other as a way to a better quality of life".

The rules were clear: for example, a programme about cars couldn't be sponsored by a car manufacturer. And along came Carlton with a programme about talking through your mental health, sponsored by an initiative from a commercial entity aimed at doing just that. To compound matters a BT Talkworks number was promoted throughout the show, and there was an accompanying BT Talkworks produced factsheet. Oh, and the sponsorship message at the start of the programme was 4 seconds too long.

The ITC were livid and Carlton were given an official caution.
SC
scottishtv Founding member
ITV's Better Homes was a totally forgettable programme that only sticks in my mind because of the Homebase sponsorship. I guess these integrated sponsorships were attractive to the advertiser as they get their logo at the start of the sequence, then a second hit with another logo appearance and V/O as the titles end:

WH
Whataday Founding member
S4C's Heno integrated their sponsor into their titles during the 90s/early 00s.

In the 90s it was sponsored by Leekes ("The Out of Town Department Store") with a theme tune build up that gave This Morning a run for its money:
https://tvark.org/?page=media&mediaid=122662

By 2001, HSBC had taken over, but the despite this the budget still couldn't reach to a set of widescreen titles:
https://tvark.org/?page=media&mediaid=122663
RI
Richard
I always liked how the sponsorship was done for the 1998 World Cup
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xT6lraEDizM

These were my favourite World Cup titles. But I didn’t like how the sponsorship was integrated - to me it seemed like an afterthought which had been slotted in. The original track “Rendez-vous 98” contains the clip from the French national anthem. I think it would have been better to put the sponsorship first, but I get the impression that ITV branding rules meant the ITV Sport logo had to come first.

The original track was by Jean Michel Jarre and Apollo 440 and is great, by the way!

Newer posts