Media Websites

YouTube Gold

ClassicTV gold on youtube (February 2007)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
SO
Soupnzi
Can’t remember Save A Life but I’m sure it’s no less gripping than Succession
VM
VMPhil
Description: 'As part of the BBC's Music Live weekend in 2000, a band was created, its members voted for, its wardrobe selected, and its song chosen by the British public'.

The internet doesn't seem to have any other evidence that this band existed at all, other than a forum post on Digital Spy…

BE
benriggers
Good to see this pop up. Programme to celebrate 15th anniversary of Play School.

MA
madmusician
Description: 'As part of the BBC's Music Live weekend in 2000, a band was created, its members voted for, its wardrobe selected, and its song chosen by the British public'.

The internet doesn't seem to have any other evidence that this band existed at all, other than a forum post on Digital Spy…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVrUkXWaPD4

What a dreadful arrangement of Everlasting Love, and the performance isn't much better! I guess you need to give credit to them for singing it live, but they've left the 'reinforcement' studio vocal running alongside it, which just shows how little they are hitting the guide track. And the mixing is pretty woeful too.

Does this give me an excuse to be geeky about Everlasting Love, as it has a TV library music connection? Famously, the version by the Love Affair in the 1960s (the best known UK cover of this song) doesn't feature a single member of the band playing on the track - it is the KPM Orchestra, and the arrangement by Keith Mansfield (Grandstand, Wimbledon, etc) - I believe I'm right in saying that the instrumental arrangement remains a KPM copyright.

Of course, that's not the only TV link to Everlasting Love, as it was recorded by the cast of Casualty in the late-90s when it reached number 5. It had a cover that reached the Top 40 in the UK in each decade of 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s and 00s - that Casualty being the 90s entry.

There we are, enough now!
MI
Michael
Here's another one : the 1981 cover by Rex Harris and Rachel Sweet - Rachel Sweet wrote the theme tune for Clarissa Explains it all as well as being a writer and executive producer on the television series Dharma & Greg, Commando Nanny, George Lopez, Hot in Cleveland, 2 Broke Girls, The Single Guy and The Goldbergs.
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
How to flog 204 "tommy and kate embossed leather floral diary" sets in 80 seconds flat:

For whatever faults one could find against Sit-up, you could never deny it was unique output if nothing else. Especially when Peter Simon was on, and even more so if he'd fell over something...
VM
VMPhil
An interesting junction from BBC2 this day thirty years ago, at the tail end of the pre-corporate era. First a slide for BBC Radio Kent, then a specially made joint HIGNFY/Monty Python trail of the kind you don't really see now.

It also reminds me that I've noticed in the show's early years, they seemed unsure as to whether the title of HIGNFY ended with a question mark or not. (Surely the answer is not).

Last edited by VMPhil on 18 October 2020 11:43am
SP
Steve in Pudsey
HIGNFY must hold the distinction for longest running show with the same set? (I know they change the newspaper cutouts on the back for each series but it's the same overall design)
DT
DTV
HIGNFY must hold the distinction for longest running show with the same set? (I know they change the newspaper cutouts on the back for each series but it's the same overall design)

It's definitely the same design (although in the early years it wasn't always red), but I do wonder how long the physical set for a show like that lasts. I imagine it's a bit of the 'broomstick conundrum'.

I'd say that long-lasting sets seem to be a very panel show thing - their sets (if only in design) seem to last a lot longer than shows from other genres.
IS
Inspector Sands
The set is the same basic design idea but the more recent ones are redder and have thinner pillars between the boards.

The set definately feels bigger than those early shows, possibly a bigger studio used but also of course once it was made in widescreen the spacing of guests and therefore the desk and set would have been changed.
VM
VMPhil
They change the lighting over the years too - if you look at shows from 10-15 years ago they lit the backdrop very bright and it's a bit too distracting, they've changed it now to have darker blue lighting.
DE
DE88
And it's the last game show still using seven-segment score displays. Wink

Newer posts