The Newsroom

Spotlight presenter Justin Leigh to leave the BBC

(October 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
TR
trevormon
Part of BBC England's current cost savings plan is to look at using more of Mosart's automation capabilities at Plymouth and trial the integrated gallery system at Southampton, which in theory can run with just two people.
IS
Inspector Sands
I don't know what system it is, but a new production system for the regions is in the process of being tested/planned.

AIUI the training and familiarisation for those who'll be using it is being done remotely because of the current situation, which presumably will delay the roll out.
CW
Charlie Wells Moderator
Part of BBC England's current cost savings plan is to look at using more of Mosart's automation capabilities at Plymouth and trial the integrated gallery system at Southampton, which in theory can run with just two people.

I imagine being able to run with just two people (or fewer than present) has advantages in the current Covid climate, where social distancing is needed. Presumably also IP would allow for some people to be able to be sat in the newsroom or nearby, rather than needing to be in the gallery.
ST
South Today
It will be interesting to see if Victoria turns up to say goodbye tomorrow! Natalie just popped up at the end of the programme to say send in your messages for Justin’s farewell.
JT
JamesTV

As mentioned by others, Justin leaving is a massive loss to Spotlight. He is a real professional, and has covered some major stories across the region. Best wishes to him for the future.
BA
Ballyboy
He was Mr Spotlight in a way
DV
DVB Cornwall
Huge farewell, and he was all over the place at the end. Best wishes Justin.
ST
South Today
Wow that was emotional! Farewell Justin.
JamesTV and Ballyboy gave kudos
JV
James Vertigan Founding member
Aw bless him holding it together until the end... I was kind of hoping he would be the one to do the wave at the end of the programme instead of David’s usual wave though!
IS
Isonstine Founding member
Really enjoyed that farewell (well, as much as you can). I particularly liked the messages from viewers, perhaps even more than Justin's "best bits" as it highlighted how much he was valued and clearly took him by surprise. It was refreshing that he was honest with viewers in explaining that the regional programmes were going down to one presenter across the BBC but made no further comment.
JT
JamesTV
Spotlight spent a large portion of the programme bidding farewell to Justin, (and rightly so), with a montage of his time at the BBC, viewer messages (including some famous faces), and an emotional ending.

It's unfortunate that his time at the BBC has come to an end, as he was valued right across the region. I wish him all the very best for the future.

Last edited by JamesTV on 16 October 2020 8:34pm - 2 times in total
JT
JamesTV
Justin appeared on BBC Radio Cornwall yesterday afternoon and spoke to James Dundon about some of the key moments in his career. An interesting listen:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p08vhb4j

Newer posts