TV Home Forum

Integrated sponsorship in titles

Split from Challenge - June 2016 onwards (October 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
BR
Brekkie
I'm surprised they didn't have Cilla singing the phone book.
Night Thoughts and DE88 gave kudos
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
Wish You Were Here in 1993 with some Barclaycard sponsorship which isn't even obvious that its a sponorship until a few seconds in, which seems quite unusual:
BR
Brekkie
It seems to be pretty much the norm for the early days of sponsorship by the looks of it for lifestyle and entertainment shows.

Am I right in thinking the weather was the first sponsored "programme" on UK television?
SO
Soupnzi
Josh posted:
And to those who want to enjoy said masterpiece:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQkgCcRjJ3E

Haha definitely a guilty pleasure. Though I remember the BT bit being voiced-over. Did they eventually drop the VO or is this clip a mock?
IS
Isonstine Founding member
Slightly off topic I know but is there anything more iconic of 90s TV than that Wish You Were Here theme?

Given everything that's going on in the world, it only makes you yearn to jet off to somewhere new. Especially if Barclaycard are paying.
BR
Brekkie
Not integrated into the shows, but arguably into the continuity, the ITV Drama Premiere sponsorship bumpers from Midland are probably one of the first sponsor stings I remember.

Any caps anywhere of the previously mentioned Tetley/Darling Buds of May effort - everything online just has normal titles.
FA
fanoftv
Slightly off topic I know but is there anything more iconic of 90s TV than that Wish You Were Here theme?

Given everything that's going on in the world, it only makes you yearn to jet off to somewhere new. Especially if Barclaycard are paying.

It’s nostalgic but also warming, possibly because of the beautiful scenery within the titles, but such a wonderful theme tune. It brings back memories of January for some reason (I’m assuming that’s when the series used to return, to inspire people’s summer holiday choices).
VM
VMPhil
It's a beautiful theme, one of my favourites - 'The Carnival' by Gordon Giltrap, and I know that because I was sad enough to buy it on iTunes several years ago.
JA
james-2001
Am I right in thinking the weather was the first sponsored "programme" on UK television?

I think so. And it must have been the longest as well by some margin, being used into the late 00s, even after Powergen had become e-on.
WH
Whataday Founding member
Josh posted:
And to those who want to enjoy said masterpiece:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQkgCcRjJ3E

Haha definitely a guilty pleasure. Though I remember the BT bit being voiced-over. Did they eventually drop the VO or is this clip a mock?

That was how it looked at first, in 1995. In 1996 there was a voiceover saying "This Morning is sponsored by BT" over the start of the theme but the visual was more of a conventional ad rather than overlaid on the TM water background. At the end of the titles the BT logo appeared under the TM logo.

By 1997 it was sponsored by BT Talkworks, whatever that was, and they dropped the BT logo from the end of the titles.
AN
Andrew Founding member
With a ridiculous cringey link between BT and the show

These integrated sponsorship titles are in a way much more intrusive than what we have now even with all the relaxations of the sponsorship rules and product placement

Would have been interesting to see a new bit of Corrie theme added to the start of Corrie, how iconic it is is probably why it didn’t happen
AN
Andrew Founding member
Not integrated into the shows, but arguably into the continuity, the ITV Drama Premiere sponsorship bumpers from Midland are probably one of the first sponsor stings I remember.

I don’t recall those, it was a few years later that I remember with this sequence

Newer posts