TV Home Forum

ITV HD Regions on Freeview

(September 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
EL
eladkse
https://www.sky.com/help/articles/itv-service-changes-october

Quote:
On 20 October, ITV HD launches in Yorkshire East, Central East, Anglia West, Meridian North and Meridian South.

Also on 20 October 2020, ITV SD closes in Border England, Anglia West, Meridian North and Yorkshire East.
ITV+1 closes in Anglia, West, Tyne Tees, Westcountry, Wales and Yorkshire.
These closing ITV SD and ITV+1 services will be replaced by larger regions.

ITV apparently shutting down a number of their SD services on satellite at the same time. There's going to be some significant holes... especially in Yorkshire (where only Yorks West will remain, with no timeshifts).
Markymark, London Lite and Spencer gave kudos
JF
JetixFann450
Sky still mentioning the ITV Hub as "ITV Player".

Quote:
And remember, if you miss your favourite ITV programme you can find ITV Player in the Catch-up area on your Sky+ or Sky Q box.

Couldn't be as worse as Demand 5 still existing on a few TVs.
TI
This Is Granada

Quote:
On 20 October, ITV HD launches in Yorkshire East, Central East, Anglia West, Meridian North and Meridian South.

Also on 20 October 2020, ITV SD closes in Border England, Anglia West, Meridian North and Yorkshire East.

ITV apparently shutting down a number of their SD services on satellite at the same time. There's going to be some significant holes... especially in Yorkshire (where only Yorks West will remain, with no timeshifts).

Regarding +1's, what will be left after next Tuesday?

I'm guessing everyone in Northern England will get Granada+1, and Central+1 will be in Wales, HTV West and Westcountry regions?

Freeview only has limited +1 regions, maybe trying to replicate these on satelite?
MI
TheMike

Quote:

Regarding +1's, what will be left after next Tuesday?

I'm guessing everyone in Northern England will get Granada+1, and Central+1 will be in Wales, HTV West and Westcountry regions?

Freeview only has limited +1 regions, maybe trying to replicate these on satelite?

Freeview has had the all *available* +1s (there never was the full set of +1's down to micro regional level on any platform)

This is a reversion to the macro regions

Northern Macro - Granada, Yorkshire, Tyne Tees [Carries Granada]
Midwest Macro - Central, Wales, West Country (incorporating the old 'west' region) [ Carries Central West micro.]
South East Macro - Anglia and Meridian [Carries Meridian E micro]

It'll mean the +1's will cover the same areas as the macro HD regions on Freeview.
KE
kernow

Quote:

This means that some satellite viewers who haven't got access to HD services won't be able to view their correct region, and if satellite is their main or only means of tv viewing (i.e. they either don't or can't access freeview), they may not be able to view their correct region at all.

Are ITV allowed to do this, given their PSB status and franchise/licence commitments?

It's a bit of a backwards step, like the days when ITV wasn't available on Sky at all, and had to watch it via analogue terrestrial tv.
SP
Steve in Pudsey
I think you've answered your own question. If they weren't required to be on Sky then, I doubt they are now.
MI
TheMike
With all the removals, ITV can either
(i) shuffle remaining SD services, then move the ITV HD variants currently using Sky capacity back on to one of its transponders
(ii) shuffle remaining SD services around and hand back a transponder

It would be nice if option (i) was chosen, and they could accommodate extra free-to-air STV HD regions in the same way they carry STV SD regions - but the availability of STV HD regions on Sky is linked to an earlier carriage deal they made, which bundled extra HD regions with inclusion of the STV Player - so it would depend how long that agreement had to run. Clearing one more transponder for HD would allow ITV to carry 3x ITV HD, 2x STV HD and perhaps ITVBe HD (currently not on Sky).
But given the current economics, option (ii) would simply save ITV plc money, given that subletting capacity for three ITV HD regions on Sky transponders is likely to be less than the cost of one transponder.
GO
gottago
I'd love to know how many people still have SD only Sky boxes these days. Presumably still a sizeable number given that C5 for example, which has been a non-regionalised service for years, hasn't switched off its SD stream.
MA
Markymark
I think you've answered your own question. If they weren't required to be on Sky then, I doubt they are now.

There are no PSB requirements for any PSB broadcaster to be on satellite. It's only if they are, they must receive the appropriate EPG prominence. Which is why 1998 to Nov 2001 Sky had to fill Ch103 with a holding banner
MA
Markymark
I'd love to know how many people still have SD only Sky boxes these days. Presumably still a sizeable number given that C5 for example, which has been a non-regionalised service for years, hasn't switched off its SD stream.

I suppose they take the view one stream for UK coverage of remaining SD punters is good value still. More baffling perhaps is C4 persisting with their 6 LEMNUS regions in SD on satellite (particularly as they (and C5) are exponents of Sky's 'Ad Smart'?
ST
steveboswell
Well those streams are also used for Freesat viewers, but Channel 5 took the view that 1 national HD channel was more important than sustaining several regional variations in SD.

Put simply, C4 must believe that the LEMNUS model is still profitable.
MI
TheMike

There are no PSB requirements for any PSB broadcaster to be on satellite . It's only if they are, they must receive the appropriate EPG prominence. Which is why 1998 to Nov 2001 Sky had to fill Ch103 with a holding banner

That's changed: Part 2, 1E of the regional Channel 3 and national Channel 4 and 5 licences:

Quote:
The Licensee shall ensure that the
(Channel 3/4/5 Service), is at all times offered as available (subject to the need to agree terms) to be broadcast by means of every satellite television service that is available for reception by members of the public in the whole or a part of the United Kingdom.

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/manage-your-licence/tv-broadcast-licences/current-licensees

It doesn't stipulate how this is done, SD or HD. Until now, broadcasters have fulfilled the criteria through distributing their SD versions.
Steve in Pudsey and Markymark gave kudos

Newer posts