TV Home Forum

Integrated sponsorship in titles

Split from Challenge - June 2016 onwards (October 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
I noticed on the 11:30am airing of Bruce's Price is Right (first year, 1995) today that for some reason I'm not entirely sure of, the animation from the studio to the end of part slide was cut, so it was just a straight fade across, an overall saving of about two seconds if that.
JA
james-2001
I think the original airings had Sun sponsorship bumpers attatched, which is also the reason why the music at the start of the titles seems to cut in abruptly.

Edit: You can see it on this video:

Last edited by james-2001 on 16 October 2020 2:07pm
LL
Larry the Loafer
Did Bruce's Price is Right have integrated sponsors? I know PYCR did as well as a handful of other gameshows at the time like Lucky Numbers and Talking Telephone Numbers, and BT wormed its way into the titles of This Morning and Surprise Surprise. To think I once thought that practice was exclusive to The Chart Show.
JA
james-2001
The Word had integrated sponsors too- and they were acutally left in when More4 repeated an episode in 2007.

So did GamesMaster, which had the McDonald's logo morphing into the M from the GamesMaster logo.
SO
Soupnzi
I think people forget how dreadful some of those integrated sponsor titles were. Even worse on drama- I remember the Tetley ones on The Darling Buds of May being really invasive.

At least the Corrie Cadbury ones felt more respectful of the programme. Though they added to a general sense of tweeness the programme had at the time. Though I did like the extra key changes they put on the start of the This Morning theme to crowbar in the BT sponsorship.
JA
james-2001
The Cadbury ones on Corrie don't really count seeing as they were separate from the titles and bumpers, rather than directly integrated into them (though they were part of the programme tapes back then, rather than being played in separately like they are now).

You can hear the abrupt cuting off of the the final note of the theme tune on most ITV3 episodes though from where they've chopped it out.
GO
gottago
Were integrated sponsored removed because of an ITC (or whoever it was at that point) rule change or did broadcasters realise they wouldn't be able to repeat it as easily after the sponsorship deal ended?
RD
rdd Founding member
Soccer Saturday famously still has integrated sponsorship, as has Sky’s Premier League coverage in general (and has always had from the outset).
JO
Johnr
The Ben Shephard Kryton Factor SAGE titles were quite neat!
MA
madmusician
I think people forget how dreadful some of those integrated sponsor titles were. Even worse on drama- I remember the Tetley ones on The Darling Buds of May being really invasive.

At least the Corrie Cadbury ones felt more respectful of the programme. Though they added to a general sense of tweeness the programme had at the time. Though I did like the extra key changes they put on the start of the This Morning theme to crowbar in the BT sponsorship.

Those BT This Morning titles are still a guilty pleasure of mine. THAT key change into the main titles is wonderful!
JO
Josh
And to those who want to enjoy said masterpiece:
WH
Whataday Founding member
The Surprise Surprise titles are probably the most integrated I'd say:

The whole sequence is in the style of the BT ad.

Newer posts