The Newsroom

NBC News, MSNBC, CNBC, NBC affiliates and TODAY

NBC launches new Washington D.C. bureau and studios (February 2018)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
FT
FranceTV

And the new set is in place as of this morning. They’ve completely replaced the video wall and (not surprisingly given WFH) removed the newsroom backdrop completely.

A footnote to this is that what I assumed was just a temporary set is still in place on the other side of the studio and has continued to be used every day for Street Signs at 9am, which is a bit odd. The revamped video wall is appearing but none of the new set area.

It will be interesting to see if this hour starts to become a bit of a backwater now that it is no longer being simulcast on CNBC US. They have done quite well of late in persuading guests in the States to get up between 4:30 and 5 ET to come on.

Worth noting that the US has CNBC World, which simulcasts the Europe and Asia hours, so they're not missing anything including European Street Signs. CNBC World during US hours shows business reality shows and weekend programming produced by Asia and Europe such as The Edge and CNBC in Conversation.

Ah yes. Would be interested to learn its typical viewership.

The diverging economics between the TV operations of CNBC US and International are very interesting. Of course the US was always much more heavily-resourced and profitable, but the Europe and to a lesser extent Asian output is now a shadow of its former self, with ever lower staffing levels it seems. Meanwhile the US channel seems to sail on with ever more domestic-focused content. Apart from a 60-second report in Worldwide Exchange most days, it’s now extremely rare to see any International reporters appear on US-produced programming.
RD
rdd Founding member
A shadow of its former self indeed. CNBC Europe once broadcast 12 hours daily of live studio output, but is now reduced to a 4 hour breakfast time block on what is otherwise a direct simulcast of CNBC US for most of the day.
CH
Charles
Worth noting that the US has CNBC World, which simulcasts the Europe and Asia hours, so they're not missing anything including European Street Signs. CNBC World during US hours shows business reality shows and weekend programming produced by Asia and Europe such as The Edge and CNBC in Conversation.

Sure, though CNBC World is otherwise a pretty rare find in the US. I don't know of any major cable providers that offer it, or at least I've never come across it. I can't get it with my Comcast Xfinity subscription, and they of course own CNBC.

I'm not sure if CNBC's lack of a primetime and overnight programming is really that much of a weakness though. I can only imagine the ratings start to fade pretty fast not too long after Closing Bell. It'll be interesting to see whether Shep Smith will be much of a draw to an hour that I think most CNBC loyalists probably ignore anyway. Bringing back the simulcast of Capital Connection might be a good idea too.
IS
Inspector Sands
NBC are getting a bit of stick at the moment for scheduling Trump's 'town hall' at the same time as Biden's on ABC

https://www.thedailybeast.com/nbc-staffers-seethe-as-trump-gleefully-uses-the-network-against-biden

https://thehill.com/homenews/media/521003-boycottnbc-explodes-on-twitter-after-trump-town-hall-scheduled-against-bidens
Last edited by Inspector Sands on 15 October 2020 9:04am
MA
mark Founding member
NBC News Now launching breakfast show and new set from Rockefeller Centre later this month, after 6 months of delays due to CoronaVirus

I don't recognise the set. Are they using an existing one (like Early Today using part of the Nightly News set), or has this been built especially for Morning News Now?

It looks a bit like a New York local station - but then again so does Early Today.
TV
TVViewer256
mark posted:
NBC News Now launching breakfast show and new set from Rockefeller Centre later this month, after 6 months of delays due to CoronaVirus

I don't recognise the set. Are they using an existing one (like Early Today using part of the Nightly News set), or has this been built especially for Morning News Now?

It looks a bit like a New York local station - but then again so does Early Today.

I haven't got a clue if this is correct (and haven't really looked into it) but at first glance could it be a redesigned 3K? I don't believe it's being used for anything else.
CH
Charles
I couldn't tell either, but that desk looks like something that has been used on MSNBC before.
LL
London Lite Founding member

Sure, though CNBC World is otherwise a pretty rare find in the US. I don't know of any major cable providers that offer it, or at least I've never come across it. I can't get it with my Comcast Xfinity subscription, and they of course own CNBC.

The only mainstream provider of CNBC World is Directv.

It's otherwise on some IPTV services such as AT&T U-verse, Century Link and Verzion FIOS. It's also on YouTubeTV and on CNBC Pro.
FC
FrancesC
Watching NBC’s Trump town hall. Why is the audio quality so horrific?
IS
Inspector Sands
Watching NBC’s Trump town hall. Why is the audio quality so horrific?

Maybe the sound guy heard him insulting NBC in his rally earlier in the day! Rolling Eyes

https://theweek.com/speedreads/943961/trump-insults-nbc-claims-hes-being-set-by-town-hall-wanted
RK
Rkolsen
mark posted:

I haven't got a clue if this is correct (and haven't really looked into it) but at first glance could it be a redesigned 3K? I don't believe it's being used for anything else.

The set is using their larger insert studio, it’s the place where Wake Up With Al originated and some MSNBC shows when the studio was undergoing maintenance. They replaced a LED backlit wall that had a large monitor in the middle and some shelves with an LED video wall and kept the existing 5x5 video wall.
NY
NYTV
mark posted:

Studio 3K is used by WNBC, perhaps that could have been either studios 3B, 4E or 6E
Last edited by NYTV on 16 October 2020 9:03am

Newer posts