TV Home Forum

Coronavirus - Impact on live/recorded shows

Several talk programmes have cancelled studio audiences (March 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
VM
VMPhil
If people are sick and tired of the current Saturday night schedules, they simply should go back into their archive, and for one Saturday night, just air a typical Saturday night schedule from say 1972 and see if people enjoy that?

BBC One on Saturday 14th October 1972 had Bruce Forsyth and the Generation Game, Dixon of Dock Green, The Two Ronnies, Saturday Film, Panic in the Streets, Match of the Day and Parkinson - air this and see how the public react.

The public on 21st September: ‘It’s great that the BBC are doing this for World Alzheimer’s Day’.

The public on every other day of the year: ‘Why are the BBC showing this old, outdated, dry, slow, possibly sexist/racist/xenophobic programming?’
HC
Hatton Cross
Interesting that (the erstwhile JK Derry) mentions Bruce Forsyth And The Generation Game. Someone on YT has uploaded the 1972 series.

It's a facinating (and occasionally entertaining) watch to see Brucie in early 1970's mode, which little evidence of cultivating the charm and 'national treasure' status he picked up in the later stages of his career.

He's front and centre at every moment. During the contestant introductions where he hardly lets them speak. Quite cutting put downs to them during the games, and brutal edits to hide the time the props guys were setting up the next game.

And a verbal and visual gag from the Christmas Day 1972 show, that simply time, taste and equallity has thankfully washed over, and try that line and visual today (without deep deep irony or in a pariody context) and you'd never been seen on mainsteam tv again.

And Anthea Redfern was simply hopeless at even being the tall airhead blonde hostess role.

But the title sequence was way ahead of its time. Using studio footage, turning it into 16mm film, and then splitting and playing action in seperate picture boxes must have been 'cutting edge' for 1972.
JA
james-2001

He's front and centre at every moment. During the contestant introductions where he hardly lets them speak.

My grandmother used to complain that he was like that on Strictly, so some things never changed.
JK
JKDerry
Interesting that (the erstwhile JK Derry) mentions Bruce Forsyth And The Generation Game. Someone on YT has uploaded the 1972 series.

It's a facinating (and occasionally entertaining) watch to see Brucie in early 1970's mode, which little evidence of cultivating the charm and 'national treasure' status he picked up in the later stages of his career.

He's front and centre at every moment. During the contestant introductions where he hardly lets them speak. Quite cutting put downs to them during the games, and brutal edits to hide the time the props guys were setting up the next game.

And a verbal and visual gag from the Christmas Day 1972 show, that simply time, taste and equallity has thankfully washed over, and try that line and visual today (without deep deep irony or in a pariody context) and you'd never been seen on mainsteam tv again.

And Anthea Redfern was simply hopeless at even being the tall airhead blonde hostess role.

But the title sequence was way ahead of its time. Using studio footage, turning it into 16mm film, and then splitting and playing action in seperate picture boxes must have been 'cutting edge' for 1972.

"erstwhile"? I don't know if that is an insult or a compliment, I suspect it is the first.
HC
Hatton Cross
I only slag off people on here who deserve it. And you most definately do not fall into that category.

I'm really glad you mentioned Sir Brucie's 1972 series of the Gen Game, as I was looking for a good opportuinity to mention my viewing of that particular series on here and offer observations and opinion of it. So, much thanks your way for that.

I added that word, as your post and mine was split between two pages - with another post in between whilst I was typing it. so I had to namecheck you (rather than bash the quote button) so others would know which post I was refering to...
SW
Steve Williams
My grandmother used to complain that he was like that on Strictly, so some things never changed.

I remember my grandfather being round our house the other Christmas and when a trailer came on for Strictly with Brucie, my grandfather said he wondered when he was jacking it in because he was so old. My grandfather was in his eighties at the time.

Brucie always said he was able to get away with bullying the contestants and showing off "because I come on a lot grander than people know I am", and everyone knew the gag was that Brucie was trying to put on a good show and the contestants were ruining it for him. One thing you notice when you watch old gameshows is how little the contestants actually contribute, but Bob Monkhouse used to say that when they were doing The Golden Shot there was some kind of ruling by the IBA that they had to pick contestants at random, hence a lot of them were very boring.

If people are sick and tired of the current Saturday night schedules, they simply should go back into their archive, and for one Saturday night, just air a typical Saturday night schedule from say 1972 and see if people enjoy that?

BBC One on Saturday 14th October 1972 had Bruce Forsyth and the Generation Game, Dixon of Dock Green, The Two Ronnies, Saturday Film, Panic in the Streets, Match of the Day and Parkinson - air this and see how the public react.

This is the thing, even on those classic Saturday nights you usually had a repeated film right in the middle of primetime. Back in the nineties you used have Dad's Army and Are You Being Served repeats at teatime, week after week, and loads of imports as well. BBC1 this Saturday is all new and all British from 7pm til midnight, and that's despite one programme having to be cancelled at the last minute and a pandemic that has crippled pretty much all television production for six months.

Everyone's happy to slag off Saturday night telly but nobody ever seems to have any better ideas. A few years ago BBC1 ran a series of Celebrity MasterChef on Saturday nights which was a bit of a departure from what we normally get in that slot and seemingly in response to people saying they were bored of back-to-back shiny floor shows. Turns out it was a huge flop, mostly because it didn't right on Saturday nights at all. The only other thing people say is "just put a film on", but rather new and British programming, I feel.
thegeek, bilky asko and UKnews gave kudos
BR
Brekkie
I still don't think though it is unreasonable to suggest that even as filler during a pandemic that Garden Rescue isn't the most inspired choice of filler for an early October Saturday evening.
Andrew, tightrope78 and iloveTV1 gave kudos
JC
JCB
No matter what they put on people would have complained. This place is getting like the Daily Mail where the BBC is concerned.

At the suggestion of a daytime magazine show: "The BBC shouldn't be do what commercial channels are doing"

Gardening show on Saturday night: "Why aren't they doing what commercial channels are doing?"
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
One thing you notice when you watch old gameshows is how little the contestants actually contribute, but Bob Monkhouse used to say that when they were doing The Golden Shot there was some kind of ruling by the IBA that they had to pick contestants at random, hence a lot of them were very boring.

Well that's the nature of that sort of show and the risk you take when you do it live, that if you have to randomly pick people you may end up with the most boring people on the planet to fill the airtime with.

Of course even for pre-recorded gameshows then and even now, they still try to find interesting people to go on TV gameshows, and Bullseye went so far as to find contestants who actually played darts in the clubs and at county level and whatever else. Not that that it did them any good on occasion but it certainly made interesting viewing when a non-darts player was particularly jammy on the 101 in 6 and county boy kept hitting 1...

Quote:
Everyone's happy to slag off Saturday night telly but nobody ever seems to have any better ideas. A few years ago BBC1 ran a series of Celebrity MasterChef on Saturday nights which was a bit of a departure from what we normally get in that slot and seemingly in response to people saying they were bored of back-to-back shiny floor shows. Turns out it was a huge flop, mostly because it didn't right on Saturday nights at all. The only other thing people say is "just put a film on", but rather new and British programming, I feel.

I think we've had all the good ideas already. Some people won't be happy until the House Party comes back. But realistically its a case of damned if you do ("Fred Smith's new show is drivel, I'd rather watch the Dad's Army repeats"), and damned if you don't ("More Pointess? Seen it all before, lets have something new").
TV
iloveTV1
I still don't think though it is unreasonable to suggest that even as filler during a pandemic that Garden Rescue isn't the most inspired choice of filler for an early October Saturday evening.

Exactly. These same three programmes keep getting used when there’s a whole - Garden Rescue, WILTY? And Mrs Brown.

On another note, there’s repeats of The Royle Family coming from 30th October.
TI
tightrope78

That's an absolute classic line-up of stalwarts of Saturday night entertainment on BBC One. By my reckoning, they have around 140 series between them.
CA
Castries

And a verbal and visual gag from the Christmas Day 1972 show, that simply time, taste and equallity has thankfully washed over

Different (and worse) times back then... what was the gag?

Newer posts