The Newsroom

US ELECTIONS 2020 Coverage

With added Impeachment 2.0 (August 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
EX
excel99
Presumably CNBC will have NBC's coverage,

I doubt that. I expect CNBC US will do their own coverage incorporating after hours trading/market futures/global currency trading, and either that will air on CNBC EMEA, or CNBC Asia will air as normal
PS
psi123
Yes - I live in the US and CNBC and Fox Business provide their own live coverage, though CNBC usually provides the least amount of live coverage of the 3 biz channels of big political events. I wish they would simulcast CNBC World like they used to in the late 90's early 2000's in the overnight hours during major events like 9/11, Iraq war, 2008 crash etc if they aren't going to be live all night. But they rarely seem to do that anymore.
JF
JF World News
Just been announced that Katty & Christian slot on Friday will be filled with Americast with Emily Matlis in London & Jon Sopel in Washington

Indeed sounds like Americast will feature pretty prominently the next few weeks - two podcasts each week rather than one (as well as any additional ‘emergency’ editions), an airing on Radio 4 and now a TV version appearing on BBC World, BBC News and IPlayer).
I’m not sure if BBC US election coverage details have been announced but hopefully Emily is prominent on the night itself and/or additional days as we wait for final results given she’s been doing a podcast this year about US politics and that does seem to be her particular area of expertise (similar to UK politics for Huw or royal events for Sophie).

I would quite happily watch Katty Kay, Jon Sopel, Emily Maitlis and Andrew Neil on election night and for additional days afterwards. Sopel and Kay in the Washington studio with Maitlis and Neil in Studio C or B

Thought it had been confirmed Matlis and Neil are going to Washington and Jeremy Vine in the virtual studio
CM
cmthwtv
Details of the coverage for the beeb: https://bbc.in/3lOAdJv

Quote:
Katty Kay and Andrew Neil to present BBC US Election 2020 results night programme as the race to become President of the United States reaches its dramatic conclusion.
On US Election night - 3 November - BBC News will be reporting the race as it unfolds with live results and expert analysis from London and the US. Katty Kay and Andrew Neil will be leading the BBC US Election 2020 programme on BBC One, BBC News channel, BBC World News and BBC iPlayer from 11.30pm GMT/6.30pm ET.

Katty will be broadcasting from Washington, with Andrew providing interviews and analysis from London. Katty and Andrew have both played major roles in the BBC’s US election coverage in the past, co-hosting the results night coverage together in 2016.

Jon Sopel and Clive Myrie will be with the Trump and Biden campaigns on election night, with BBC reporters including Emily Maitlis and Nick Bryant in the crucial battleground states and a panel of expert political strategists assessing how the night unfolded, how the campaign was lost and the impact the US electorate’s decision will have on the years ahead.

BBC US Election 2020 will feature big-screen graphic analysis from Christian Fraser, and Tina Daheley will also be bringing audiences news bulletins throughout the night.

Katty Kay says: “The 2020 US election cycle has been endlessly surprising, which is fitting for a year that’s been anything but normal. It will be a hard-fought contest right to the end, and I’m excited to bring global BBC audiences the story on election night and in the days after. When trustworthy information is hard to come by, we at the BBC are committed to fairly and accurately reporting events, whatever happens.”

Andrew Neil says: “This has been a presidential campaign like no other in the long history of America's democracy. And not just because it’s being fought in the midst of a pandemic. In many ways it’s turned into a referendum on Donald Trump. Do you want to continue with four more years of the Trump rollercoaster? Or would you prefer a return to something approaching normal with mainstream Democrat Joe Biden? That’s the choice Americans must make on 3 November.”

BBC Head of Newsgathering, Jonathan Munro says: “The US Presidential election is one of the world’s most important political events, and always has a big impact on politics across the world. Our goal is to make sure that we provide our audiences with the complete picture over the next three weeks. On election night, Katty and Andrew will bring an incredible level of experience, knowledge and authority from both sides of the Atlantic."

Radio 4 and the BBC World Service will simulcast their election night programming hosted by Jamie Coomarasamy in Michigan, Nuala McGovern in northern California and Ros Atkins and Philippa Thomas anchoring from London. BBC Radio 5 Live’s Drive presenter, Anna Foster, will lead the station’s results night coverage and simulcast Radio 4 and BBC World Service in the early hours.

Audiences will be able to follow all the action on the BBC News website’s dedicated US Election live page for all the latest updates in the run up to the election, on results day itself and after. There will also be live maps tracking results for the presidential, Senate and House of Representatives races.

On Wednesday morning coverage will see Laura Trevelyan taking over in Washington, and Matthew Amroliwala and Reeta Chakrabarti in London from 9am GMT, running through to 1pm GMT on BBC One and continuing thereafter on the BBC News Channel, BBC World News and BBC iPlayer. Katty Kay and Christian Fraser will be providing further analysis at 8pm GMT.

In the run up to the election, other highlights across the BBC’s US coverage include live coverage of the final presidential debate on Friday 23 October on the BBC News Channel and BBC World News. Katty Kay and Christian Fraser will also be providing coverage of the campaign on the BBC News Channel and BBC World News Monday to Thursday at 9pm throughout the campaign.

There will also be special televised episodes of Americast with Emily Maitlis and Jon Sopel on the BBC News channel and BBC World News, as well as on Radio 4 every Friday evening at 11pm GMT.

Additional info:

Presidential Debate Coverage
The second presidential debate in Nashville, Tennessee will be live on the BBC News Channel and BBC World News with Katty Kay presenting in Washington. Friday 23 1.30am BST / Thursday 22 October 8.30pm ET.

Newsnight
Emily Maitlis will present Newsnight from Washington DC for the week, with a range of high profile guests and expert analysis on the major stories of the US election. BBC Two, 10.45pm GMT.
MF
Matthew_Fieldhouse
Details of the coverage for the beeb: https://bbc.in/3lOAdJv

Quote:
Katty Kay and Andrew Neil to present BBC US Election 2020 results night programme as the race to become President of the United States reaches its dramatic conclusion.
On US Election night - 3 November - BBC News will be reporting the race as it unfolds with live results and expert analysis from London and the US. Katty Kay and Andrew Neil will be leading the BBC US Election 2020 programme on BBC One, BBC News channel, BBC World News and BBC iPlayer from 11.30pm GMT/6.30pm ET.

Katty will be broadcasting from Washington, with Andrew providing interviews and analysis from London. Katty and Andrew have both played major roles in the BBC’s US election coverage in the past, co-hosting the results night coverage together in 2016.

Jon Sopel and Clive Myrie will be with the Trump and Biden campaigns on election night, with BBC reporters including Emily Maitlis and Nick Bryant in the crucial battleground states and a panel of expert political strategists assessing how the night unfolded, how the campaign was lost and the impact the US electorate’s decision will have on the years ahead.

BBC US Election 2020 will feature big-screen graphic analysis from Christian Fraser, and Tina Daheley will also be bringing audiences news bulletins throughout the night.

Katty Kay says: “The 2020 US election cycle has been endlessly surprising, which is fitting for a year that’s been anything but normal. It will be a hard-fought contest right to the end, and I’m excited to bring global BBC audiences the story on election night and in the days after. When trustworthy information is hard to come by, we at the BBC are committed to fairly and accurately reporting events, whatever happens.”

Andrew Neil says: “This has been a presidential campaign like no other in the long history of America's democracy. And not just because it’s being fought in the midst of a pandemic. In many ways it’s turned into a referendum on Donald Trump. Do you want to continue with four more years of the Trump rollercoaster? Or would you prefer a return to something approaching normal with mainstream Democrat Joe Biden? That’s the choice Americans must make on 3 November.”

BBC Head of Newsgathering, Jonathan Munro says: “The US Presidential election is one of the world’s most important political events, and always has a big impact on politics across the world. Our goal is to make sure that we provide our audiences with the complete picture over the next three weeks. On election night, Katty and Andrew will bring an incredible level of experience, knowledge and authority from both sides of the Atlantic."

Radio 4 and the BBC World Service will simulcast their election night programming hosted by Jamie Coomarasamy in Michigan, Nuala McGovern in northern California and Ros Atkins and Philippa Thomas anchoring from London. BBC Radio 5 Live’s Drive presenter, Anna Foster, will lead the station’s results night coverage and simulcast Radio 4 and BBC World Service in the early hours.

Audiences will be able to follow all the action on the BBC News website’s dedicated US Election live page for all the latest updates in the run up to the election, on results day itself and after. There will also be live maps tracking results for the presidential, Senate and House of Representatives races.

On Wednesday morning coverage will see Laura Trevelyan taking over in Washington, and Matthew Amroliwala and Reeta Chakrabarti in London from 9am GMT, running through to 1pm GMT on BBC One and continuing thereafter on the BBC News Channel, BBC World News and BBC iPlayer. Katty Kay and Christian Fraser will be providing further analysis at 8pm GMT.

In the run up to the election, other highlights across the BBC’s US coverage include live coverage of the final presidential debate on Friday 23 October on the BBC News Channel and BBC World News. Katty Kay and Christian Fraser will also be providing coverage of the campaign on the BBC News Channel and BBC World News Monday to Thursday at 9pm throughout the campaign.

There will also be special televised episodes of Americast with Emily Maitlis and Jon Sopel on the BBC News channel and BBC World News, as well as on Radio 4 every Friday evening at 11pm GMT.

Additional info:

Presidential Debate Coverage
The second presidential debate in Nashville, Tennessee will be live on the BBC News Channel and BBC World News with Katty Kay presenting in Washington. Friday 23 1.30am BST / Thursday 22 October 8.30pm ET.

Newsnight
Emily Maitlis will present Newsnight from Washington DC for the week, with a range of high profile guests and expert analysis on the major stories of the US election. BBC Two, 10.45pm GMT.

Clive Myrie, Emily Maitlis, Anna Forster, Justin Webb, Jamie Coomarasamy and Nuala McGovern are travelling to USA
BR
Brekkie
Doesn't seem the best use of Emily's profile though I guess she'll anchor Newsnight from there. I guess Clive will anchor the Six/Ten.
TR
trance
BBC using the Arthur theme on their twitter.

No Jeremy Vine and his cowboy hat this year I presume.

DT
DTV

I presume that the Graphic Design Police have finally caught up with Mr Vine and his prolific campaign of assaults on the principles of information design.
BA
Batavia
I wonder what role presenters like Jane O'Brien, Michelle Fleury, and Nada Tawfik will have, and the newer BBC staff in the US like Larry Madowo and Lebo Diseko. Michelle did some good live reporting from NYC in 2016 on the business side of the election results.

IIRC there was also live analysis from BBC reporters in major capitals like Berlin and from Singapore. Being able to get reaction from places like Brussels, Beijing, Tokyo and elsewhere is something the BBC can do better than, dare I say, most of their competitors perhaps with the exception of AJE.
JF
JF World News
Doesn't seem the best use of Emily's profile though I guess she'll anchor Newsnight from there. I guess Clive will anchor the Six/Ten.

Didn't Clive do TOTH news summaries last time
MO
Moz

Loving that opening sting. ♥️
Alfie Mulcahy and welshkid gave kudos
AM
Alfie Mulcahy

I wonder which theme ITV will use. I quite liked the one they used last time but hope they choose the one they used for Brexit Night Live and the 2019 debates.

Newer posts