TV Home Forum

TV Breakdown Appreciation Thread

We'll return as soon as possible. (April 2018)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
RE
regvariations
I was a guest on The Crunch in July 1996. It was recorded on a Wednesday, mid-afternoon. (Incidentally, it was about 7 weeks before the terrible revamp, but the renovation work hadn't yet started.) I hung around the Living Room while Zig and Zag recorded their Thursday music slot The Morning Session in the kitchen, with some band of the moment performing "live". I started off in the living room standing up, before propping myself up on the orange couch, then gradually sidling over to Keith's green presenter chair in front of the French windows.
Soupnzi and Hatton Cross gave kudos
JB
JasonB

Talking of pre-recorded shows. I often wondered when they went through a phase of pre-rec'ing editions around Christmas exactly when those were done, because I'm sure in some it was dark outside (and not obvious filters on the windows, or more obviously, having the curtains drawn) so they must have done them on a weekend a couple of weeks before, or, done them at the other end of the day as it was getting dark around 5-6pm in the afternoon.

During the JV/Denise and Liza era they would have the decorations up ready on the live shows for one week in October or November. That would be the clue they were recording the Christmas shows around then.
LL
Larry the Loafer
...we’re treated to a Curtis Schwartz/KPM take on Madonna’s ‘Vogue’...

Vogue Craze, KPM-0148 if anybody's interested Wink
BE
Ben Founding member
...we’re treated to a Curtis Schwartz/KPM take on Madonna’s ‘Vogue’...

Vogue Craze, KPM-0148 if anybody's interested Wink

And on Spotify I think.
LL
Larry the Loafer
It is indeed.

8 days later

IT
itvblocks
Some breakdowns from Channel 4 and BBC, now.

Here's one from 2010 where somebody forgot to put 25p in the meter.

Also, why do breakdowns seem more eerie without any music?

Another from the beginning of 2012, where Channel 4 has problems going into a (new at the time) gameshow.

And a much recent breakdown from the Beeb due to Storm Ciara.

paul_hadley and Curto21 gave kudos
LL
Larry the Loafer
I never understood why Channel 4 have silent captions, considering how much of a taboo dead air is, especially considering how much of a low attention span TV people assume the viewers have.
Jacq, itvblocks and Alfie Mulcahy gave kudos
JA
james-2001
It wasn't that long ago that Channel 4 were still showing several minutes of menu & music at 6AM.
TI
TIGHazard
I never understood why Channel 4 have silent captions, considering how much of a taboo dead air is, especially considering how much of a low attention span TV people assume the viewers have.

I guess it's different overnight, but on monday night, Channel 5 had two breakdowns during the NFL. During the first they had some issue getting to the studio and played some break filler (Access & Police Interceptors) for 20 minutes and so joined the game late.

But the second was shortly after the game went into overtime due to a tie, so I'm guessing in that instance it was the line booking expiring (there wasn't any test card or anything, just a black screen) before they rejoined after a minute or so.

There was no announcer during both of these. Made it a bit awkward during the second one as well - are they just going to leave it here or try and get the game back?
BE
Bennyboy1984
Some breakdowns from Channel 4 and BBC, now.

Here's one from 2010 where somebody forgot to put 25p in the meter.

Also, why do breakdowns seem more eerie without any music?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QG9ZC93Yf40

Another from the beginning of 2012, where Channel 4 has problems going into a (new at the time) gameshow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFnoQv6BwJw

And a much recent breakdown from the Beeb due to Storm Ciara.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTZzpFsCG-0

I believe that wasn’t the only episode of Nicky Campbell’s show that was plagued with technical issues?
BA
Ballyboy
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKKURKWcJ6M

Polite request: If you're going to post 28 minute long videos, it's helpful to everybody if you highlight the key portion of it you're drawing attention to. In this case, it's from 13:20 onwards to 19:55. Rarely is it the entire video unless its short.

Newer posts