TV Home Forum

Coronavirus - Impact on live/recorded shows

Several talk programmes have cancelled studio audiences

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
BR
Brekkie
I think it's reasonable to assume it's a possibility in the event of a national lockdown which would discourage travel across the country. Worth remembering most shows did stop filming during the actual lockdown and only started up again as restrictions were lightened.

I'm a Celeb is quite different as they will all be bubbled on location in North Wales (although possible I guess some production might be done in London) whilst Strictly has dancers from across the country and a significant number of additional staff (though not as high as usual) involved too.
VA
valley
This article has got to be absolute nonsense - https://tellymix.co.uk/reality-tv/strictly-come-dancing/492518-strictly-come-dancing-could-be-cancelled-if-country-goes-back-into-lockdown.html

Strictly could be cancelled - I thought television productions are exempted from certain COVID restrictions, indeed I'm A Celebrity has been given a guarantee that it can continue, even if strict restrictions are imposed in Wales, so if they can continue, I am sure Strictly can.

This has to be pure nonsense.

Sure, it could be cancelled... however far more likely is that it would continue but with no audience. If it came to it, they'd put everyone up in a hotel close to Elstree and find enough suitable spaces for the couples to rehearse. I can't see it being cancelled other than as the very last resort.
TV
iloveTV1
I think it's reasonable to assume it's a possibility in the event of a national lockdown which would discourage travel across the country. Worth remembering most shows did stop filming during the actual lockdown and only started up again as restrictions were lightened.

I'm a Celeb is quite different as they will all be bubbled on location in North Wales (although possible I guess some production might be done in London) whilst Strictly has dancers from across the country and a significant number of additional staff (though not as high as usual) involved too.

They weren’t as prepared for the first lockdown - production companies are more well equipped for more possible restrictions.
JO
Jonwo
Many shows in other countries have continued production of television and film despite lockdowns in recent months so I expect as Strictly has the necessary protocols in place, it would go ahead in a worse case scenario.
AS
AlexS
This article has got to be absolute nonsense - https://tellymix.co.uk/reality-tv/strictly-come-dancing/492518-strictly-come-dancing-could-be-cancelled-if-country-goes-back-into-lockdown.html

Strictly could be cancelled - I thought television productions are exempted from certain COVID restrictions, indeed I'm A Celebrity has been given a guarantee that it can continue, even if strict restrictions are imposed in Wales, so if they can continue, I am sure Strictly can.

This has to be pure nonsense.

Sure, it could be cancelled... however far more likely is that it would continue but with no audience. If it came to it, they'd put everyone up in a hotel close to Elstree and find enough suitable spaces for the couples to rehearse. I can't see it being cancelled other than as the very last resort.

That assumes that those taking part would be willing to live in a hotel for several weeks and that they'd have access to a sufficient number of rehearsal rooms in the Elstree area, both of which are far from certain . The problem that strictly has that other programmes can work around is the need for close contact without the use of PPE. I believe bake off was the only programme so far that has been produced in a way that has allowed for such contact (other than between people who ordinarily live together for whom social distancing doesn't apply) and that was done in a much shorter timeframe than would be necessary for strictly and at a time when cases were relatively low.
IS
Inspector Sands
Yes the big difference between Bake Off and Strictly is that the former is recorded in advance. They could record a 10 week series in 5 weeks.

Doing the same for Strictly would mean 'bubbling' everyone together from now till Christmas
BR
Brekkie
In theory they could have pre-recorded over a shorter time frame in bubble conditions just to get it in the can, but I'm not sure the format of learning a new dance every week would be practical if cut to say 2-3 days between recording each show.

I think like everything it's hope for the best, prepare for the worst. If a strict national lockdown came in it could depend on where they are with the show too - it would probably be easier to continue with 4-5 couples than it would be with 10-12.

I'm sure they have a COVID plan which covers most eventualities and on the whole is there to enable the series to continue, but of course it would be irresponsible not to have the possibility of a full cancellation amongst that plan too.

8 days later

RD
RDJ
Little Mix The Search has been cancelled this Saturday as a small number of Production have tested positive for Coronavirus.

That’s a big hole in the schedule before the first live Strictly.
NG
noggin Founding member
In theory they could have pre-recorded over a shorter time frame in bubble conditions just to get it in the can, but I'm not sure the format of learning a new dance every week would be practical if cut to say 2-3 days between recording each show.

How would pre-recording Strictly work with the 'viewers voting' format? You have to have that element otherwise it's not the same format at all? If the judges are the only arbiters (as is the case with Bake Off) - it becomes a very different show?
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
I suppose you could do old school and mail postcards in if the show is pre-recorded - was it the Central revival of New Faces that did this? I know Bob Monkhouse Opportunity Knocks did phone voting (as it was a new thing then)

We have had app/text voting before (and all the issues it causes, which is why we always drop back to a phone line for such things)
BR
Brekkie
RDJ posted:
Little Mix The Search has been cancelled this Saturday as a small number of Production have tested positive for Coronavirus.

That’s a big hole in the schedule before the first live Strictly.

Not really considering it has been rating so poorly. They'll also be happy it's this and not Strictly affected. I assume Saturdays show, which is the launch, has probably already been recorded anyway, as it usually is around a week before broadcast.

How would pre-recording Strictly work with the 'viewers voting' format? You have to have that element otherwise it's not the same format at all? If the judges are the only arbiters (as is the case with Bake Off) - it becomes a very different show?

It does but it would be a case of needs must to get something on air and using the judges scoreboard only, which I agree makes it a different show and you would get people complaining the worst act is leaving each week rather than complaining the worst act isn't. The only other way is filming every act performing every week and letting viewers vote and then not showing the ones who have been voted out, but that is probably just not practical.

Anyway obviously not the route they've gone down so it is fingers crossed and carry on. Whether it would go ahead during any "circuit breaker" lockdown remains to be seen - certainly arguments that it should but also arguments that it shouldn't too.
DA
davidhorman
I suppose you could do old school and mail postcards in if the show is pre-recorded

Is it just me, or does that not make any sense?

Newer posts