The Newsroom

The Sky News Thread

(October 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
BF
BFGArmy

I think though that’s just many of us just being won over by how a channel looks.
By accounts seen on the French TV thread, Franceinfo often isn’t equipped for breaking news at certain times to a quite embarassing degree that’d make BBC with UK breaking news in the evenings/at night seem nimble.

Whereas whenever I tune into Sky News day or night I’ll get the latest news well covered.
What’s the point in a channel looking pretty if it won’t give me the news as it happens.

I suspect that's probably more down to editorial and staffing issues, rather than how the channel is presented on screen style wise.

Which is true and ideally a channel can do both - have interesting, strong presentation whilst having good content.
I think Sky News actually in 2011 was quite close to that - some outstanding journalism on the big stories that year like the riots and Arab Spring and the presentation was simple but effective and looked grand.
In my mind the news channel gold standard currently is Al Jazeera - a channel with news from all over the world from excellent journalists, strong but simple presentation and a good balance of news and interesting documentaries and weekly programs.

But Franceinfo seems to always get a fair bit of praise on here but while it may look nice if Sky aired the output Franceinfo did there’d be uproar quite rightly. Franceinfo by all accounts struggles with breaking news, hours are padded heavily with filler and joining the radio bulletins seems to disrupt the hours heavily. Bar the graphics and music I’m not sure Franceinfo is any guide on how to do a news channel in 2020.
Last edited by BFGArmy on 14 October 2020 12:15pm - 2 times in total
LondonViewer and valley gave kudos
AA
aaron_scotland

Opps..
VA
valley

Opps..

Happened a number of times over the last few days. NOC need to disable iCloud...
BR
Brekkie
Watching Sky News Tonight....presented by someone that vaguely resembles Stephen Dixon. Geeezz. His presenting style used to be amazing. This program is a complete snooze fest. Im sitting here wondering what happened?! Its all bunch of sighs and quiet talking and the repetitive theme bed. The image behind Stephen is actually warping or wobbling. Sighhh. The channel no longer has the "authoritative", sit-up and taken notice air about it. It always had a pacey slightly tabloid-esque (or populist) air about it without stepping over the line. Think BFMTV without having that flashy FOX NEWS craziness. Content aside and journalism aside. After all this is a presentation forum.

How do we go from this...to the presentation snoozefest we have now..And this was the quieter period.....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84iTgwylg7g

You are right. It feels and looks too much like BBC News now.
It doesn't keep me interested like it used to.
And can someone please finally change that awful, monotonous theme tune bed that plays every few minutes!!!!

It’s played at the TOTH, going into breaks and during the BOTH headlines. Hardly every few minutes...

Just the eight times an hour then.

Maybe moving away from the white would soften it all up a bit and make it feel less sterile, although they have been doing that to an extent anyway. It isn't always about being desk bound too - Kay Burley walking about doesn't make her slot anymore interesting than those just sat in front of the screen.
VA
valley

You are right. It feels and looks too much like BBC News now.
It doesn't keep me interested like it used to.
And can someone please finally change that awful, monotonous theme tune bed that plays every few minutes!!!!

It’s played at the TOTH, going into breaks and during the BOTH headlines. Hardly every few minutes...

Uh, no. There’s only four breaks per hour, plus the TOTH and the BOTH plays. That’s six. Where did you get eight from?
Last edited by valley on 15 October 2020 12:08am
BR
Brekkie

Uh, no. There’s only three breaks per hour, plus the TOTH and the BOTH plays. That’s five. Where did you get eight from?

A break every 15 minutes, so playing in and out of each break.
VA
valley

Uh, no. There’s only three breaks per hour, plus the TOTH and the BOTH plays. That’s five. Where did you get eight from?

A break every 15 minutes, so playing in and out of each break.

I did get my numbers wrong (forgot the final break, so it’s 6 not 5) but it’s only played into the breaks, not out of the breaks (other than the one at the BOTH).
Mouseboy33 and Brekkie gave kudos
AJ
AJ
The 2005 music package was definitely a lot nicer (and more varied) - the 2 different music beds made a difference.
SK
skyviewer
AJ posted:
The 2005 music package was definitely a lot nicer (and more varied) - the 2 different music beds made a difference.

The 2005 package was the reason I started watching this channel.
AJ
AJ
AJ posted:

Watching a news channel because of headline music is a particularly odd reason to be honest. 🤷‍♂️
SK
skyviewer
AJ posted:
AJ posted:

Watching a news channel because of headline music is a particularly odd reason to be honest. 🤷‍♂️

No. I was still a young boy at that time and I couldn't speak English at all as I am not native. So I was only able to watch this channel on holiday in Spain and it immediately attracted my attention due to the dramatic and nice theme and also the great-looking studio with the big glowing globe beside the stairs etc. The useful side effect of this splendid set up was that I stayed tuned and started to learn English... 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️
JO
Jon
AJ posted:
AJ posted:

But to be fair, it’s exactly the kind of person you’d expect to find on TV Forum.

Newer posts