The Newsroom

GB News

Andrews's Express Article - Page 38 (September 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
TJ
TedJrr
I think the trouble kind of stems from social media in a way - journalists who have been professional for years and nothing but impartial on screen are suddenly sharing their own opinions on certain individuals and policies which appear to sway one way, especially in the context of your own timeline which will likely swing one way too, suddenly brings their suitability into question. Andrew Neil for example tweeting a Nancy Pelosi comment on Boris Johnson today basically saying "What does she know?" suggests he is far from suitable to be involved in the BBC's election coverage, but I'm sure if I bothered to go looking there would be plenty of criticism of Trump too.

Somebody calling out Pelosi for saying that Boris Johnson decides what drugs the UK licenses is extremely suitable to be involved in any channels' US election coverage!

One of the factors of this year's US elections is the, in some ways quite pronounced, anti-British rhetoric coming from prominent Democrats. Arguably the current Government has become marginally aligned with Trump, but this isn't so entirely and in many ways, Trump's administration is actually harming UK interests.

We're mere nuggets in the tectonic plates of US and EU politics!
RR
RR
And they still use them - AP and Fox will be doing a joint exit poll as an alternative to the the other network news departments including CNN who will be doing their usual pooled exit poll.
BR
Brekkie
I assume just as you have "Shy Tories" here when it comes to exit polls you also have Quiet Trumpers in the US.
IS
Inspector Sands
I assume just as you have "Shy Tories" here when it comes to exit polls you also have Quiet Trumpers in the US.

A quiet trump does usually save some embarrassment Very Happy

That is a thing in the US as it is in the UK, but for opinion polls, not usually for exit polls
AndrewPSSP, what and Emily Moore gave kudos
CI
cityprod

That is a thing in the US as it is in the UK, but for opinion polls, not usually for exit polls

It was very much a thing back in 2016, maybe not so much now, especially as most of the polls at the moment put Biden too far ahead for any undecided/Quiet Trumper swing to have any meaningful impact on the overall result, though it might make some states a bit closer than they currently seem.
IS
Inspector Sands

It was very much a thing back in 2016, maybe not so much now, especially as most of the polls at the moment put Biden too far ahead for any undecided/Quiet Trumper swing to have any meaningful impact on the overall result, though it might make some states a bit closer than they currently seem.

Yeah I suspect in some parts of the US with what's going on it's a case of having quiet Democrat voters
Last edited by Inspector Sands on 13 October 2020 12:41pm
TM
TMD_24
Looks like the BBC is the not the only gig that he has for the short term. Andrew Neil is covering John Pienaar on Times Radio for 2 weeks.

https://twitter.com/TimesRadio/status/1315925240841744385

32 days later

TM
TMD_24
March 2021 is the launch of GB News according to Andrew Neil.

29 days later

TM
TMD_24
Some interesting things mentioned in this.

https://news.sky.com/story/billionaire-reubens-in-talks-to-take-stake-in-gb-news-tv-channel-12157913?dcmp=snt-sf-twitter

Quote:
Sky News has learnt that a vehicle connected to the Reuben family, which has amassed a vast fortune from shrewd investments in property, media and other industries, has expressed interest in investing more than £10m in the new operation. City sources said on Friday that the Reubens' interest was being fronted by Jamie Reuben, who plays a key role in the family's business interests.

The family, which has been involved with a long-delayed takeover bid for Newcastle United FC, is among "a large number" of prospective investors in GB News, according to one insider. A proposed £60m fundraising by GB News is understood to have been significantly oversubscribed, and final decisions about the company's shareholder base have not yet been taken.

It is being set up with the internal tagline "Rent the news, own the personalities and analysis", and is aimed at challenging Britain's most established rolling TV news services: Sky News and the BBC News channel.

The GB News venture is understood to have been brought to the attention of the Reuben family, which already has media interests through its partial ownership of the At The Races broadcast operation.

One source close to the discussions with potential shareholders said the level of demand to invest in GB News was so high that there was no guarantee that the Reubens would ultimately become a shareholder.

The Reubens are understood to have indicated that they would be willing to invest between £10m and £20m in GB News.

Jamie's father David Reuben and uncle Simon were reported by The Sunday Times Rich List earlier this year to be worth £16bn.

Among the family's vast property interests is Millbank Tower in London's Westminster - a building which has served as the campaign base for both the Labour and Conservative parties.
VA
valley
That tagline isn’t very descriptive, I have to say. “Rent the news”?
VA
valley
That makes more sense as an internal tagline than a customer-facing one - thanks.

20 days later

DE
derek500
https://news.sky.com/story/city-tycoon-marshall-tunes-into-60m-gb-news-fundraising-12176428

More funding news from Sky's Mark Kleinman.

Newer posts