The Newsroom

Coronavirus | Television News Coverage

(February 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
AN
Andrew Founding member
Jonwo posted:
They’ve only scheduled the news special to last 35 minutes surely that’s not enough to carry the whole conference and then analysis afterwards.

With Laura Kuenssberg starting the press section by asking about 5 questions, there is no way this will be finished by 7:30

We haven’t even got to Peston yet!

I never get why they don't limit questions to 1-2 per person.

Well Peston does ask one question, it just takes him 5 minutes to get it out Very Happy

BBC one has left the conference now NC only.

That was unusually nicely done. They stayed on the camera pointing at the PM making it look like he was pausing as well, rather than it showing that we were cutting off a question from a newspaper journalist
BF
BFGArmy
Interesting to see one colleague critiquing another on Twitter:

Not sure it's the most professional by Adam mind.
AN
Andrew Founding member
Well we all know they ask loads of questions, so they can get sound bites on multiple topics for the report they are already compiling for News at Ten
RD
RDJ
Fiona had morphed into Tim Wilcox by the end of the briefing on the News Channel.

Was there much point in getting Fiona to host one minute at the start and a voiceover to say goodbye to BBC One?
MI
m_in_m
Jonwo posted:

With Laura Kuenssberg starting the press section by asking about 5 questions, there is no way this will be finished by 7:30

We haven’t even got to Peston yet!

I never get why they don't limit questions to 1-2 per person.

Guess the journalists think the more questions they ask the more chance they might actually get one answered.

They do seem to restrict themselves to one per speaker. I think given they have different areas of expertise it makes sense to ask each of them a question.
MF
Matthew_Fieldhouse
RDJ posted:
Fiona had morphed into Tim Wilcox by the end of the briefing on the News Channel.

Was there much point in getting Fiona to host one minute at the start and a voiceover to say goodbye to BBC One?

She was already in the studio for the Six, probably could've used the BBC One announcer but not much more effort was required
SP
Steve in Pudsey
Is this Studio A at NBH back in business?

AM
Alfie Mulcahy

Looks like it. Unless it's just a green screen somewhere else.
CR
Critique
They've been doing the Weather VR stuff throughout lockdown but I don't think it necessarily requires Studio A - whilst there are some moving shots that give the impression of a jib the presenter is always directly facing the camera, even when the camera angle of the VR set is changing. The presenter is always in the *exact* same position in the virtual set and never moves off that spot next to the screen. I would therefore hazard a guess that they're filming these sequences on a normal green screen elsewhere (without any fancy tracking) and then just editing in the VR stuff around him?
valley, bilky asko and Steve in Pudsey gave kudos
JO
Jon

Looks like it. Unless it's just a green screen somewhere else.

So you have no better idea than the poster you’re responding to?
MB
Media Boy

Nope this is Studio G in the Weather Centre... Fixed locked off camera and all driven by Meteo's Weather Presenter which controls all the virtual moves.
All done as live and not in post.
AndrewPSSP, bilky asko and Steve in Pudsey gave kudos
HA
harshy Founding member
Bbc news still haven’t mastered virtual graphics it looks so clean and fake .

Newer posts