TV Home Forum

BBC Local TV

Shame it didn’t happen (October 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
JB
JexedBack
Shame the BBC wasn’t given the go-ahead to launch Local TV:

Local TV might have been a success.
Shame the politicians pander to the newspapers who don’t want to see the BBC do well.
WA
watchingtv
Shame the BBC wasn’t given the go-ahead to launch Local TV:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hhZbpO_BX0

Shame the politicians pander to the newspapers who don’t want to see the BBC do well.

And perhaps that would of been money well spent. Rather than current situation. The BBC should be doing that as the public broadcaster should be serving local and as a point of difference. It could still get away with broadcasting shows such as Homes under the hammer. Then share the time with BBC Three after 7 or 8pm?
MA
madmusician
That Carmina Burana advert is hysterically over-hyped for the fact that the Black Country are getting some citizen journalism...!
SP
Spencer

I think it was more of a case that struggling local newspapers thought this would put them out of business, rather than some sense of resentment at the BBC being popular.
IS
Inspector Sands

And perhaps that would of been money well spent. Rather than current situation. The BBC should be doing that as the public broadcaster should be serving local and as a point of difference. It could still get away with broadcasting shows such as Homes under the hammer. Then share the time with BBC Three after 7 or 8pm?

It wasn't meant to be a service that was on linear TV, that video mentions it was in Red Button but I don't know in what form. I think it was one channel that played each of the local areas content consecutively. Doing that nationally would take all evening..... for BBC Rutland TV watch at 01:20 Very Happy
MI
TheMike

It wasn't meant to be a service that was on linear TV, that video mentions it was in Red Button but I don't know in what form. I think it was one channel that played each of the local areas content consecutively. Doing that nationally would take all evening..... for BBC Rutland TV watch at 01:20 Very Happy

It was done when the BBC had a number of Red Button streams at its disposal on satellite (I believe it had six streams pre-2013). One stream was dedicated to local TV, with the West Midlands being the pilot area. Each part of the BBC West Midlands TV region had a timeslot. Actually not dissimilar to what the former 'Made In' channels did on satellite, in having one service with each area's news one after the other.
TE
Technologist
It was meant to be a local video service - i.e delivered on line .. which contained a news bulletin
(which was carrouselled with the others in the region on a linear channel - hence the red button mention)
then other news stories and other short items which were on line
...and items would be in the local 18:30 programme and other outlets if they were good enough (as now)

I cannot find the BBC Management report on it and the proposition that got turend down ..
It also said that the BBC Local radio rollout should be completed - Cheshire and I think Dorset!

But Roger Laughton was asked to do a Critique which I have found
http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/aboutthebbc/insidethebbc/howwework/reports/pdf/local_tv_news_laughton.pdf
look at page19
this was in 2006 when there was not the internet capalabilities we accept as normal today
- in Dec 06 average headline speed was 3.8Mbit/sec up from 1.6Mbit/sec in 05
IS
Inspector Sands

I think it was more of a case that struggling local newspapers thought this would put them out of business, rather than some sense of resentment at the BBC being popular.

Yes though 15 years on it turns out that many local newspapers didn't need any help going out of business.

In the meantime the BBCs local TV ambitions and regional websites were sacrificed so that the remaining local newspapers can fill their websites with exclusives about what happened in yesterday's episode of The Chase....
Last edited by Inspector Sands on 12 October 2020 3:50pm
TV
TVVT
Would’ve preferred it to what I have now! (That’s TV)
TE
Technologist
The BBC proposition was for an internet delivered service .....
And it was mostly a collection of video on demand
Not a rolling news service

Thus us what Nicholas Shott told DCMS when asked to look at the
economics Of local tv ..

In the long-term, local TV looks set to be delivered through IPTV technology; therefore, any steps the Government takes through new regulatory interventions to facilitate local TV should have regard for this

See https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/78549/Local-TV-Report-Dec10_FullReport.pdf
GO
gottago
Even if it had been rolled out it feels like something that would inevitably have been cut a few years later due to the BBC needing to save tens/hundreds/thousands/billions (delete as appropriate) of millions of pounds.
Spencer, watchingtv and LondonViewer gave kudos
MW
Mike W
It was also aired on the then Central Trains around the West Midlands (the WM specific bulletins and news) - often they were 2 days out of date though!

Newer posts