The Newsroom

BBC World News America new set and titles

Split from BBC World News | (Inc. US Refresh 2020) (August 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
MF
Matthew_Fieldhouse
Just been announced that Katty & Christian slot on Friday will be filled with Americast with Emily Matlis in London & Jon Sopel in Washington

Still primarily a podcast and from 30 October on Friday evenings, from next week on Saturday mornings and afternoons
WO
Worzel
The 9pm hour now has a ‘name’ ‘bbc news with katty and Christian’. Not the most creative but I wonder if it will now be on Iplayer.

iPlayer says 'availiable soon'

They'll update those tile slides with the Reithed logo one day.
AM
Alfie Mulcahy
The 9pm hour now has a ‘name’ ‘bbc news with katty and Christian’. Not the most creative but I wonder if it will now be on Iplayer.

iPlayer says 'availiable soon'

They'll update those tile slides with the Reithed logo one day.

Those pages really do look dated.

103 days later

CR
Critique
Don't recall seeing this shared on here before, but Clickspring have put some images up of the newish Washington set:

Shame we haven't seen them able to use the new set more flexibly yet - as predicted by some on here the screens move around and everything, and some nice-looking OTS graphics too (although see if you can spot the error in one of them...!). Thus far I think on air we've pretty much just seen a locked off wide shot and a close-up of the presenter in front of the screens.

As a nice little bonus, there are also some CGIs of the original design, including a top-down shot for the studio mockers and a mock-up of a US election night from Washington we never really saw!

Independent and Newsroom gave kudos
MO
Mouseboy33
I prefer the design of the modesty panels and the placement of the BBC News logo on the render than the real thing. Still looks good though. Shame about the locked down cameras shots though.
BR
Brekkie
That's the trouble - certainly on Katty and Christian you only see a postage stamp sized shot of the backdrop in the split screen - baffles me why they have to have both hosts in shot when one is leading on a story. And here we rarely see World News America but as you say when we do we don't see much more than a head-on shot.

It is a really nice design though and the split screens are something I could see working in Studio E.
AM
Alfie Mulcahy
Don't recall seeing this shared on here before, but

Interesting that ITV London is on the screen in this image
DO
dosxuk
Look at the reflection on the floor - it's not actually on the screen, it's been added by clickspring. They use the exact same image on one of their renders from before the studio was built.
AM
Alfie Mulcahy
Look at the reflection on the floor - it's not actually on the screen, it's been added by clickspring. They use the exact same image on one of their renders from before the studio was built.

Still interesting why they chose ITV footage.
JA
Jamesypoo
They probably just Googled "London newsreader" or something and chose one with a suitably London-based background as an example of the screen in use.
SC
scottishtv Founding member
That's the trouble - certainly on Katty and Christian you only see a postage stamp sized shot of the backdrop in the split screen - baffles me why they have to have both hosts in shot when one is leading on a story.

That's a good point. I think Newsday did the two-presenters-in-different-locations thing best latterly (before it went off air) when they had the two interact together on-screen but then switched between locations to each presenter when appropriate. I suspect that would use more resources at the moment though, so unlikely to be an option any time soon.
BA
bilky asko
They probably just Googled "London newsreader" or something and chose one with a suitably London-based background as an example of the screen in use.

Though they went to the trouble of captioning with the correct name, I found it mildly interesting.

Newer posts