The Newsroom

The BBC World News Thread

BBC World | 30 Years Anniversary - Page 127 (October 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
RN
Rolling News
I actually think having Katty and Christian at 9pm works so much better than 7pm.

Since the move to 9pm, I've tuned in most nights as sad as that may sound.

I find it uber cool the way Katty says “This is bbc News” then goes straight into the headlines.
GM
Gary McEwan
I actually think having Katty and Christian at 9pm works so much better than 7pm.

I find it uber cool the way Katty says “This is bbc News” then goes straight into the headlines.

And the odd occasion when they throw to the break BBC World News gets mentioned instead of just BBC News.
Alfie Mulcahy and Universal_r gave kudos
RK
Rkolsen
Regarding Business Live being changed to Worklife some sort of thing to do with the BBC Charter? I thought the BBC was not supposed to do things that compete fully with the private sector. There are already two hard core business channels in the UK CNBC and Bloomberg. Maybe they thought it was too close to the other two and made it a bit more simpler or niche programmed.
MI
TheMike
Regarding Business Live being changed to Worklife some sort of thing to do with the BBC Charter? I thought the BBC was not supposed to do things that compete fully with the private sector. There are already two hard core business channels in the UK CNBC and Bloomberg. Maybe they thought it was too close to the other two and made it a bit more simpler or niche programmed.

BBC World News is operated on a commercial basis and has a nearly 30 year history of providing business programmes, from World Business Report, Business Edition with Tanya Beckett to Business Live. There's no charter issue here.

What has happened in the BBC in general is that business news has tilted towards lifestyle and consumer stories. At the same time, more of the BBC's newsgathering has come together, with more and more content being shared across outlets.

Whereas an early morning of "hard" business news every hour with up-to-date reports from the markets could be produced by BBC World News, it's not something that could be easily shared with the more light and fluffy BBC Breakfast and could well be out of date within a short time. Those softer consumer business stories however tend have a longer shelf life, therefore lend themselves to sharing across BBC outlets through the day and are more likely to generate more reaction on social media, as they are more relatable than lets say the latest trends in Government Bonds.

The switch from Business Live to Worklife certainly provided more opportunities for the programme to feature the more consumer/lifestyle slanted business stories that would also be featured on other BBC services in the morning. And with BBC World News targeting a more affluent audience than its domestic counterpart, ad breaks around Worklife and similar shows can attract a mix of both traditional corporate advertisers and lifestyle brands, rather than narrowly casting the net towards business/financial companies and competing directly with CNBC/Bloomberg.

Of course, Aaron Heslehurst's slot on BBC World News still features a mix of more traditional 'hard' business stories, but in a very unique, eccentric way!
AM
Alfie Mulcahy

Yeah. I completely agree. It fits much better and clashes with less programmes on the main channels.
SI
sigma421
An unfortunate mix up on World overnight. The pictures are of Taiwan’s national day parade but were captioned and commented as if they were North Korea...

MF
Matthew_Fieldhouse
Americast is becoming a weekly TV show according to end of latest episode, sounded like just on World News
TR
trance
What has happened in the BBC in general is that business news has tilted towards lifestyle and consumer stories.

I think this reflects the fact that the demand for TV-based business news for those working in business is probably pretty low. Anyone who needs info on markets or companies will have a subscription to the FT or Bloomberg etc. It makes sense that business news is slimmed down to what's "newsworthy" and that the needs are met of the average viewer wanting a snapshot, rather than the viewer with a vested interest.
LV
LondonViewer
What has happened in the BBC in general is that business news has tilted towards lifestyle and consumer stories.

I think this reflects the fact that the demand for TV-based business news for those working in business is probably pretty low. Anyone who needs info on markets or companies will have a subscription to the FT or Bloomberg etc. It makes sense that business news is slimmed down to what's "newsworthy" and that the needs are met of the average viewer wanting a snapshot, rather than the viewer with a vested interest.

Who is this average viewer that likes fluff? Anyone who “needs” the info has always had it from other sources. Aim high.
Last edited by LondonViewer on 11 October 2020 1:58am
HA
harshy Founding member
Does anyone know why world viewers get a random hour with Victoria Derbyshire? Why can’t world start this hour with the next presenter ?
MA
Meridian AM
Does anyone know why world viewers get a random hour with Victoria Derbyshire? Why can’t world start this hour with the next presenter ?

Cheaper to simulcast
JF
JF World News

Cheaper to simulcast

Its a continuation of her shift. Sally is already doing an extra hour at 9am

Newer posts