The Newsroom

New Newsnight Studio

Move to 54D from 5th October (October 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
JO
Joe
Ah - that makes infinitely more sense.
BR
Brekkie
A quick spin of the studio.

WS
wstvop
AlexS posted:
On the topic of what happens if bbc Persian tv wants to stay on air longer due to breaking news, can’t newsnight just be moved into E for that night?

That wouldn't work for several reasons, not least because it'd be totally inappropriate for Newsnight to be delayed at short notice on the biggest news days of the year. BBC Persia managed without access to 54D for several months at the end of last year and beginning of this due to refurbishment if Wikipedia is to believed so it's not as though they don't have options available to them.

Not once the schedule reverts to it starting at 10.30.

Could Persian use 44D, where it was for a while during 54D's refit? Or Newsnight from A?

Depends on the story, no? What if it's Persian's biggest story of the year?

Persian moved into 44D while 54D was upgraded to HD and MOSart. They were the only user of that studio at the time (Arabic having done their "pure 44D stint" before that, then moving into 34D permanently) so this issue wouldn't have occurred - breaking news would have been happily accommodated in 44D. However 44D is now mothballed, is the only BH studio in SD, and the latest plan I heard was to convert it back into office space.
AS
AlexS
AlexS posted:
On the topic of what happens if bbc Persian tv wants to stay on air longer due to breaking news, can’t newsnight just be moved into E for that night?

That wouldn't work for several reasons, not least because it'd be totally inappropriate for Newsnight to be delayed at short notice on the biggest news days of the year. BBC Persia managed without access to 54D for several months at the end of last year and beginning of this due to refurbishment if Wikipedia is to believed so it's not as though they don't have options available to them.

Could Persian use 44D, where it was for a while during 54D's refit? Or Newsnight from A?

Persian moved into 44D while 54D was upgraded to HD and MOSart. They were the only user of that studio at the time (Arabic having done their "pure 44D stint" before that, then moving into 34D permanently) so this issue wouldn't have occurred - breaking news would have been happily accommodated in 44D. However 44D is now mothballed, is the only BH studio in SD, and the latest plan I heard was to convert it back into office space.

Breaking news typically sees desk based presentation whatever the channel and therefore doesn't require a particularly large studio as the presenter is too busy keeping up with the latest developments to be moving between different parts of the studio.
DA
davidhorman
roo posted:
at the risk of massively derailing this topic, I've been using unreal engine for a (much lower tech!) virtual studio for my zoom calls and it's been working really well! (not sure my long-suffering colleagues would agree)

That's brilliant! Laughing I wish Huw Edwards would do a little wave.
MO
Moz
What colour is the sofa by the window when it doesn’t have the ill fitting cover on it?
SP
Steve in Pudsey
It's red when Persian use it
BB
bbc247
Do we know if Marr is moving to this studio too at some point? It would look far better than it does in E
CM
cmthwtv
Marr looks alright in Studio E - at the moment. If you're not going to have anymore than 1 guest in the studio at a time then there is no point in moving it just yet - however if they want to get the paper reviews back to 2 in the studio etc then they would struggle in Studio E.
Last edited by cmthwtv on 11 October 2020 11:09am
House and Alfie Mulcahy gave kudos
LX
lxflyer
AlexS posted:

Given that 22:30 in the UK is currently 01:00
in Tehran, and will be 02:00 from the 25th of October, I can’t imagine that BBC Persian will need the studio being honest about it.
MO
Moz
It's red when Persian use it

Think it would look better leaving it red than that ill fitting purple cover.

In other news, Newsnight STILL on at 10:45 tonight. 🙄
WS
wstvop
AlexS posted:
Breaking news typically sees desk based presentation whatever the channel and therefore doesn't require a particularly large studio as the presenter is too busy keeping up with the latest developments to be moving between different parts of the studio.

Not quite sure what your point is. If it's an Iran-heavy story which domestic audiences are not treating as breaking news (or at least to the same extent) then Persian should feel entitled to stay on-air in some capacity, just as Newsnight should feel entitled to continue broadcasting their programme. The question is who gets priority and, in the event of changing studio, how that is logistically done given the amount of gallery/floor crew in the building at that time of night (not many).

Given that 22:30 in the UK is currently 01:00
in Tehran, and will be 02:00 from the 25th of October, I can’t imagine that BBC Persian will need the studio being honest about it.

As I said upthread, it has happened three times while I happen to have been sitting in the chair - and many more times to my colleagues. Usually only by a few hours; but once I was asked to stay until 9:30am (having started at 11am the day before), to give 24 hour coverage on Persian.

Newer posts