TV Home Forum

Top of the Pops

1990 on BBC Four (January 2018)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
JA
james-2001
I wonder if that Just Like Starting Over video was in the original 2000 showing of that TOTP2 edition, would it have been made by then? As that blog post says it was released on the 8th December 2000, I can only assume that it wasn't, I presume it must have originally had the 1992 video listed above it.
JA
james-2001
Yoko Ono tried making a new one in 2003, but it was very grim and just featured lots of shots of war and poverty to make the point that, no, war isn’t over yet - she saw the funny side in a documentary when she said she sent it off to various channels and they just replied “Can we show the old one instead?”.

I'm sure I remember hearing that some of the music channels actually got complaints from showing that version of the video. I don't think I've ever actually seen that version shown on the TV, only online.
JA
JAS84
Did anyone else notice that the 2000 TOTP2 Lennon special had been updated with newly remastered videos (and presumably the new remixes). They were accompanied by recreated TOTP2 graphics and a new 2020 copyright date.

This adds to the fact that it has already been updated once before, with the post-2001 3D graphics (presumably because it was originally made for the 60th birthday celebrations in 2000 and then later updated to remove any references to that)
Ugh, they couldn't even get the logo right.
JA
james-2001
Colm posted:
The first show suffered from that post-New Year problem of older songs climbing up the charts (the 'gift token' effect), combined with fewer acts available for a studio appearance and 'video' artists being eligible for the line-up.

After around 1997 they stopped having those first week of the year shows, probably because of these issues they always with having things to show.
TI
TIGHazard
I wonder if that Just Like Starting Over video was in the original 2000 showing of that TOTP2 edition, would it have been made by then? As that blog post says it was released on the 8th December 2000, I can only assume that it wasn't, I presume it must have originally had the 1992 video listed above it.

By chance, they'd actually shown the 'original' (it's got the post-2001 3D style graphics, but still has a 2000 copyright date) version of the show back in June.

The answer is no, they showed the 1992 video.

TI
tightrope78
Here’s the original Legs & Co. performance from November 1980.

By the time it had reached number one Legs & Co. danced round a Christmas tree (I think)!
CO
Colm
Colm posted:
The first show suffered from that post-New Year problem of older songs climbing up the charts (the 'gift token' effect), combined with fewer acts available for a studio appearance and 'video' artists being eligible for the line-up.

After around 1997 they stopped having those first week of the year shows, probably because of these issues they always with having things to show.

And you're also well into the era of songs entering high then falling down the chart, so, until the rules were rewritten again a few months later - January 1997 being the tail-end of Ric Blaxill as producer - a tough act to fill 30 minutes.

Mind you, the first-show-back in the Chris Cowey produced-era was usually repeat performances from the shows before Christmas...
CO
Colm
Here’s the original Legs & Co. performance from November 1980.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcdbGa_2l4I

By the time it had reached number one Legs & Co. danced round a Christmas tree (I think)!

Correct - the last show before Christmas, and rounded off the show.

Also the last 1980 edition shown on BBC Four for the usual reasons...
DE88 and tightrope78 gave kudos
JA
james-2001
Colm posted:
Notice the different copyright legend on both editions - in the correct new corporate style for the first week of 1990, but the following show had the old BBC logo and MCMXC in the same OCR-B font as the captions.

I wonder which logo the third episode will have. As has already been said on here, the original cypher run didn't even have the BBC logo, just a "BBCTV MCMXC" copyright in the same font as the rest of the credits. It's certainly the same on the 1990 Xmas special and the first edition of 1991 too, the first two episodes after Cyper returns, not sure exactly when the proper BBC logo and copyright font came into use with them, though it was in use by April 1991.
NG
noggin Founding member
Colm posted:
Notice the different copyright legend on both editions - in the correct new corporate style for the first week of 1990, but the following show had the old BBC logo and MCMXC in the same OCR-B font as the captions.

I wonder which logo the third episode will have. As has already been said on here, the original cypher run didn't even have the BBC logo, just a "BBCTV MCMXC" copyright in the same font as the rest of the credits. It's certainly the same on the 1990 Xmas special and the first edition of 1991 too, the first two episodes after Cyper returns, not sure exactly when the proper BBC logo and copyright font came into use with them, though it was in use by April 1991.

AIUI the Cypher, being a Quantel product, used the same source of bitmap fonts/typefaces as the original 'Classic' Quantel Paintbox (V-series Paintbox had launched by the time TOTP used it - but Cypher pre-dated that, as it was partially based on the Mirage architecture I believe).

I suspect it took a while to get the BBC logo into that typeface ecosystem (though not sure why - the system had been in use by US broadcasters with bespoke graphics for a couple of years by then...)
JA
james-2001
Also going to be interesting to see which point it is in 1990 where the Radio 1 logo on the set changes.
RB
RobinBlamires05
Round about April time. Nicky Campbell bigging up the new neon on the show itself.

Newer posts