Media Websites

YouTube Gold

ClassicTV gold on youtube (February 2007)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
NT
NorthTonight
Did they really ditch the toys for the revamp? That seems incredibly short-sighted.

There’s an edition of R4’s The Reunion on BBC Sounds from about 10 years ago where musical director Jonathan Cohen admits the various attempts to revamp the programme regrettably failed.

I think the toys being ditched is mentioned also by Fred Harris in “ Trumpton Riots “. However if you look at the clip from the first day of the 1983 revamp, Ben Thomas is holding Humpty, and Elizabeth Millbank says “ the toys have all arrived “ so they seem to be all there.

Although interestingly in this edition from early 1984, there’s no sign on the toys. No sign of the contraption either.

https://youtu.be/EtrwV7GGGNs

May 1984 - the toys are here and the contraption is back at the end.

https://youtu.be/qm1mzO7duNs
Last edited by NorthTonight on 8 October 2020 11:40pm
SO
Soupnzi
Interesting to note the private members club now inside TVC has this superb homage to Play School in its bar

https://ibb.co/WgGNPq8
Last edited by Soupnzi on 10 October 2020 10:50am - 2 times in total
NW
nwtv2003
I would recommend a look at the ‘thesearethedays’ YouTube channel, they have uploaded a number of interesting On Digital videos today, including this pre-launch one from 1998:

DE88, sda| and Larry the Loafer gave kudos
NW
nwtv2003
Further to my post above, the same user has also uploaded a whole evening of continuity from the last day of Carlton Select, including its final closedown.

JA
james-2001
That's a very jerky print of Get Smart at the very beginning there, suprising how poor quality some of these prints of old filmed US TV shows we've had down the years have been! Not like the pristine copies on the DVD.

And I Spy, that's a show I imagine will never be repeated again...
VM
VMPhil
Fox News live coverage of the Space Shuttle Columbia Disaster, 2003. At 12:19, they start rebroadcasting CNN who had a live feed of the shuttle. CNN suspected this and put up a small caption in the top left at 15:44. Once they have confirmed that Fox are simply rebroadcasting their feed, CNN cut back to the studio at 16:01, forcing Fox to cut away.

IS
Inspector Sands
I'm surprised that sort of thing was done then, especially Fox which is well resourced.

I remember seeing a documentary about Al Jazeera (might be 'Control Room') which showed their gallery during some big news event and they were doing exactly that. They noticed their pictures on a rival and deliberately changed their output to show them up

There's a lot of long clips of Erica news coverage of big stories on YouTube. I love seeing that sort of thing in context and real time
SP
Steve in Pudsey
Much like Piccadilly Radio paying for a stereo BT circuit from Capital for the Chart Show and realising that other stations were rebroadcasting their feed off air, so they started dropping in Piccadilly jingles over the start of tracks.
SW
Steve Williams
Thanks to Why Don't YouTube for reminding me that yesterday was thirty years to the day of the Going Live 3D Special. This was a great idea, they got in some 3D cameras just because it would be a bit of fun, and gave away the glasses free in Fast Forward (the previous series they'd done a scratch and sniff special via Fast Forward as well). It seemed very exciting at the time, here's Pip explaining it all - https://youtu.be/5A8qT3N-U5M

The absolute highlight, though, was Trevor and Simon's 3D sketch which I vividly remember at the time as it made me cry with laughter. As well as being the last known example of when Jonathan Ross was funny, what I particularly love about it is that it was clearly extended far beyond its natural length to fill a gap, if indeed they even knew they were doing this sketch until about five minutes before it went on air. "I've found another stick!"

Such a great show, Going Live.
JA
james-2001
The fact that both Trev & Simon are dressed like John McEnroe as well...
SW
Steve Williams
The fact that both Trev & Simon are dressed like John McEnroe as well...

Those are of course their Theatreshop costumes. "Stupid old Robin!" "Stupid old Ray!"
SP
Steve in Pudsey
Phil's found a new button in the Broom Cupboard!

Newer posts