Spitting Image to return on BritBox

(March 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
CH
chinamug
rdd posted:
JAS84 posted:
rdd posted:
Meanwhile it would be a shame (for those of us who can’t subscribe to Britbox) if we were in a “No Export for You” type situation with Spitting Image because of who’s commissioned it. Hopefully it does get an ITV airing, which I think is the best we can expect at this point.

This isn't that trope. No Export For You means it doesn't air in your country at all.

And it doesn’t! Britbox isn’t available here.

(Yes, I understand it is slightly a bit early to say that there will be no overseas sales of this show. I just find it unlikely due to its subject material that either RTÉ or VMTV will pick it up, and so an airing by a linear U.K. broadcaster would be the best outcome).

Actually it's subject material would do very well in Ireland. Almost all the indivduals in it would be household names in the Republic. I couldn't see RTE buying it, but in theory it would be exactly up Virgin Media Television's Street. The problem is that they would have to pay money for it, and they don't like doing that!
RD
rdd Founding member
It’s not made by ITV Studios, so that immediately places it off VMTV’s radar. I also fear political satire would rank well below their diet of soaps, Ant and Dec, and Britain’s Blankiest Blanks.
AM
Alfie Mulcahy

Also people moaning about the amount of streaming services, meaning another subscription and more content than they can watch.

I've seen so.many complaints saying ' I don't want to have another subscription that I have to pay. I already have to pay Netflix, Amazon Prime and Sky. Why is the BBC forcing us to pay more for shows we've already paid for"

It's such a stupid argument.

Nobody has to pay for anything. You don't have to pay for Netflix, you don't have to pay for Amazon and you don't have to pay for Sky. These are all optional extras you can choose to pay for if you wish. The only required payment for watching TV as broadcast is the licence fee and a TV with Freeview built in (or a box). Beyond that, any other payments are entirely optional.

Anyway people have always had more content available to them that they've been able to watch. That started when your ITV company came along in the 1950s and 60s, and got worse when BBC Two launched in 1964. Home video recorders at an affordable price weren't a thing until the 1970s so unless you were rich enough to have multiple TVs (or have access to early VHS technology at some insane price), you were practically forced to cherry-pick by default.

Today? More content than you can shake a stick at across the various services. Nobody's going to be able to watch it all. Pointless even trying, unless you've literally nothing else to do with your life...

Exactly. They have it sound like it's required.
CH
chinamug
rdd posted:
It’s not made by ITV Studios, so that immediately places it off VMTV’s radar. I also fear political satire would rank well below their diet of soaps, Ant and Dec, and Britain’s Blankiest Blanks.

To be fair the station is a great effort at Television Satire, because there's no way they could be producing what they do seriously. Very Happy
WH
Whataday Founding member

Worth mentioning that the Spitting Image YouTube channel is doing very well. A video of Boris they posted 3 days ago is already on 1.3m views.
Last edited by Whataday on 9 October 2020 6:24pm
Markymark and Alfie Mulcahy gave kudos
AM
Alfie Mulcahy
Episode 2 was good. Some very funny skits. The pulsating of Cummings head is still hilarious but this week's song was a bit bland.
JO
Josh
Speaking of YouTube, they're uploading the full episodes there free to watch.*

*Provided you don't live in Belgium, the United Kingdom, Finland, New Zealand, Canada, Germany, United States, Australia or Ireland...
SP
Steve in Pudsey
I'm surprised that they did that. I don't think I'm giving too much away if I say that it's not too difficult to circumvent the geoblock.
JO
Jonwo
Episode 2 was good. Some very funny skits. The pulsating of Cummings head is still hilarious but this week's song was a bit bland.

My favourite line in episode 2 was 'You have a call from the Donkey Sanctuary' 'I've told you before, they're called the Shadow Cabinet!'
LL
Larry the Loafer
Switching a VPN on is a lot easier than waiting for a torrent to pop up... Erm, so I've heard.

But yes, the second episode definitely felt like it was finding its feet more. Hopefully this trend continues.
AM
Alfie Mulcahy
Jonwo posted:

My favourite line in episode 2 was 'You have a call from the Donkey Sanctuary' 'I've told you before, they're called the Shadow Cabinet!'

Mine was the Boris Sat-Nav one.
WH
Whataday Founding member
While they're still cagey about BritBox UK's actual numbers, they have confirmed that subscriptions to the service have increased ten-fold since the launch of Spitting Image compared to the average daily rate.

Newer posts