TV Home Forum

Premier League Coverage PPV and beyond

All matches televised until end Feb 2021 (October 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
DV
DVB Cornwall
PPV via BTTV and Sky for extra Premier League matches incoming from next weekend.
Last edited by DVB Cornwall on 20 January 2021 2:08pm - 4 times in total
HC
Hatton Cross
Premiership Plus returns!

Hoping all the games would continue spread across the three main live game broadcasters, but to be fair, at least season ticket holders will now be given these PPV games free, whereas the rest of normal ticketed holders will just have to shell out for the game.

Wonder how much they will charge though?
DV
DVB Cornwall
£14.95 per match apparently. (Various sources)
bkman1990 and Hatton Cross gave kudos
BR
Brekkie
Ouch. For a 6th choice game at best. They really are not reading the room.
TI
TIGHazard

In a pandemic, where people have lost jobs.

How many are going to agree to share the cost of the PPV, therefore gathering in homes, potentially breaking local lockdown rules and/or spreading the virus.
MA
Matrix

In a pandemic, where people have lost jobs.

How many are going to agree to share the cost of the PPV, therefore gathering in homes, potentially breaking local lockdown rules and/or spreading the virus.

Or just not get it at all.
:-(
A former member
Called it.

From memory (I think I only ever purchased Newcastle/Villa), was PremPlus £7 a match?
NW
nwtv2003
Called it.

From memory (I think I only ever purchased Newcastle/Villa), was PremPlus £7 a match?

It was around that price. For the first couple of years of Premiership Plus, NTL used to charge £10 for a whole season, which we took advantage of the offer for the entire period, which was about 3 years. I believe this was something to do with NTL being part of the initial PPV rights holder.
RD
rdd Founding member

Was that not one of the problems with PremPlus in the first place? They weren’t exactly the first choice games. More people were taking the season ticket than paying for individual games.

For Premier League PPV to really take off what they need is the Man United v Liverpool’s, the Chelsea v Arsenals - the biggest game of the week featuring the biggest clubs in a Saturday evening or Sunday afternoon time slot. And no season ticket. (I should stress I am not advocating that model!!!!! Just stating what it would need to succeed)

First time round what PremPlus really proved (and I appreciate it hung around for six years, so not exactly a flash in the pan) is that people would pay more than one subscription for the Premier League, and in doing so paved the way for the Setanta/ESPN/BT lineage of secondary rights holders.
DV
dvboy
Reckon they'd make more money overall if they were £4.95 than they will at £14.95.
Jeffmister, bkman1990 and Brekkie gave kudos
MI
Michael
There's been a huge amount of wailing on Twitter about this, and I really can't understand it.

In normal times, these matches would have been 3pm kickoffs (or non-televised games at the same time as televised games.)

The only way to (legally) watch them would have been actually going to the game in person. As that's not an option right now, I see no issue in offering these games as standalone options for a fee which is much less than the cost of the average PL match ticket, not to mention the other ancillary costs - both necessary and unnecessary - that are incurred when attending a match such as transport, refreshment, merchandise and a programme.

(That is of course if you are one of the lucky ones able to get to the game, and then one of the luckier ones able to get a ticket.)

In the EFL, there is the iFollow system which appears to be working satisfactorily. It seems the PL doesn't want to or cannot offer that option, probably because of rights etc. So this seems like the next best thing - offer the games for those who want to watch them.

If Season Ticket holders get to watch the games for free, great. If they don't, then that's down to them to sort out a refund with their club.

Patronage is not constrained by the size of the stadium, or by the location of the match. A game which would have seen a maximum of 5000 away spectators crammed into the windy, wet end of a stadium on a December Saturday evening will now be open to all fans of the club in their own comfortable homes.

It seems folks got a little bit too used to being given 5 extra bonus matches per PL round effectively for free with their Sky/BT subscriptions. This of course was due to pressure from the government - both to keep up morale during lockdown and also so that newly reopened pubs weren't overloaded. Those folks must remember that this will be a temporary arrangement until we can let fans back into stadiums, hopefully in the spring.

As for the price, well it's interesting how much of a value fans are willing to put on the actual sport / game itself - the only thing that actually matters, the 90 minutes of action, as opposed to everything else. I have seen suggestions of £5. 90 minutes of entertainment for £5? How little value people place on football nowadays.

You don't pay the price of a ready meal in a restaurant, you don't pay the price of a tin of beer in a pub, so you don't pay the price of a full matchday experience to watch a game on TV. It's pretty simple to me.
Last edited by Michael on 9 October 2020 5:58pm
TI
TIGHazard

It seems folks got a little bit too used to being given 5 extra bonus matches per PL round effectively for free with their Sky/BT subscriptions. This of course was due to pressure from the government - both to keep up morale during lockdown and also so that newly reopened pubs weren't overloaded. Those folks must remember that this will be a temporary arrangement until we can let fans back into stadiums, hopefully in the spring.

I think the issues are

a) we're possibly going back into lockdown again, so pubs will be closed in that case.

b) people have lost jobs meaning they may not be able to pay for the PPV's. Maybe they can justify keeping the Sky/BT subscription due to the amount of entertainment it gives them a month with these additional free games.

c) illegal online streaming already exists for the games normally on the 3PM blackout. But at the moment many will be watching Sky/BT because the games are being broadcast for no additional cost.

d) Some people may split the cost with friends/family, and therefore break lockdown rules to watch at their house. Not exactly the message the government would want to send at the moment.

e) The cost is way too high anyway. Lets imagine I'm a Leeds fan. Sky picks Leeds twice in December. Amazon has them twice. That means I have two PPV's to buy. Sky Sports costs £30. Prime Video costs £8. My two PPV's cost £30. I can justify the Sky subscription, because I'm watching the other matches and other sports. I can justify the Prime Video subscription due to the other content.

Can I justify the two PPV's? With the fact that highlights will be posted online by someone as soon as they happen. Or Sky will post them on YouTube soon after the game has concluded. Or I can watch MOTD later on.

Newer posts