TV Home Forum

UTV - From City Quays 2 onwards

Split from UTV rebrand (July 2018)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
JK
JKDerry
Possibly they will wait until their birthday - UTV will be 61 years old on 31st October, possibly they will wait until then?

UTV news studio is very small indeed. They had the luxury of 2,500 Sq Ft of space back in Havelock House Studio 1, I have no idea what the space is now, it must be at least half the size of Studio 1?
TI
This Is Granada
Possibly they will wait until their birthday - UTV will be 61 years old on 31st October, possibly they will wait until then?

UTV news studio is very small indeed. They had the luxury of 2,500 Sq Ft of space back in Havelock House Studio 1, I have no idea what the space is now, it must be at least half the size of Studio 1?

There must surely by a new series of UTV Life due coming up soon? Its usualy around October till Xmas our Auntie Pammie is on air on a Friday at 8pm.

Where in the building is UTV Life? Same studio as UTV Live/View from Stormont?

I'm hoping Julian and Gillian will be back recording at some point later this month, for a November return.
CO
Cold Open
I have no idea who this Simon Proctor bloke in that quoted Tweet upthread is (i.e. whether he's a credible source / industry insider, or a lone fantasist).

Giving him the benefit of the doubt however, it's nevertheless possible that he's either been fed misleading/unclear/duff information and/or has misunderstood whatever he's been told.

It may be, for example, that announcements by Gillian & Julian are returning (but with the station name continuing to be ITV both visually and verbally), with Mr Proctor mistakenly under the impression that this means a return of UTV-branded idents.

Conversely, maybe "the UTV" really is coming back.

We'll just have to wait and see what happens, and not arrogantly claim to "know" stuff that we clearly don't.

If any decision is ever made (or already has been) for UTV to not return as a station name, I cannot believe for a single nanosecond that ITV plc would be happy for the current temporary/interim disparity of having "UTV"-orientated programme names on a channel permanently called ITV to continue indefinitely.

Given that UTV Live is already only a minor title sequence re-edit away from full renaming to e.g. "ITV News Northern Ireland" (or what-flippin'-ever), it would be simple enough to implement such a change if/when any such decision is made.

I do wonder what potential new name UTV Life could have, if this were the way that things ultimately go. My suggestion would be Night Life, with a logo that somehow emphasises the first two letters (N.I. - geddit?!).
Last edited by Cold Open on 7 October 2020 9:04pm
WH
Whataday Founding member
I've never seen someone write so much and yet say so little.

As stated on the previous page, 'this Simon Proctor bloke' is a credible source.

Where in the building is UTV Life? Same studio as UTV Live/View from Stormont?

The UTV Life set is directly opposite the news set.
Last edited by Whataday on 7 October 2020 8:27pm - 3 times in total
Alfie Mulcahy, UTVLifer and Ballyboy gave kudos
BA
Ballyboy
Night Life sounds good
CO
Cold Open
Night Life sounds good

If only I had even the slightest iota of skill (or, indeed, the software) to make mocks. ☹ *sigh*
BA
Ballyboy
Get yourself a Adobe account and but after effects it’s £19,97, you just need your credit card details
UT
UTVLifer
I just pray that the UTV Life graphics team have spent the time off air giving that programme a new logo and titles. The folded ribbons for 'Life' was sh*t when it was introduced and is still rubbish now
CO
Cold Open
Get yourself a Adobe account and but after effects it’s £19,97, you just need your credit card details

Cheers for the nudge, fine sir, but I shall respectfully pass. I would definitely be in the "greyed-out" category of the Mocks forum!

I just pray that the UTV Life graphics team have spent the time off air giving that programme a new logo and titles. The folded ribbons for 'Life' was sh*t when it was introduced and is still rubbish now

I concur. (As, surely, does literally everyone with 20-20 vision...)

The folded ribbons text, and the fact that it was ever signed-off for use on air, is an absolute crime against humanity. It's in the same Pure Evil category as Thames' former "purple button" abomination.

Whether the programme comes back as UTV Life, Night Life, The Pamela Ballantine Show or whatever else, if it features anything as offensive on the eyes as the previous "Life" text, then a hex must be put upon all those responsible!
TI
This Is Granada
Is Terry Brennan (Head of UTV) leaving?

Hope this is not due to ITV cutbacks affecting the UTV?

No need for a head of UTV if they dont plan on bringing the UTV back onair...or am I reading too much into this?

BA
Ballyboy
I read Simon Clemison formerly of itv westcountry and BBC Spotlight replaced Terry
TI
titanic_television

Newer posts