The Newsroom

New Newsnight Studio

Move to 54D from 5th October (October 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
BA
bilky asko
The biggest loss from B is losing the continuous video wall - if that could make it's way over to E it would be great.

Do they make a 48:9 290" display to fill the gap left by the old 103" displays?
RK
Rkolsen
The biggest loss from B is losing the continuous video wall - if that could make it's way over to E it would be great.

Sure by using LED tiles. Some are already in 16:9 format. But a video-wall of that suze would be long.
DT
DTV

Sure by using LED tiles. Some are already in 16:9 format. But a video-wall of that suze would be long.

The LED walls in Studio B and C are modular so, theoretically you could fit something. But, they are of significantly lower resolution than the plasmas and are also placed behind a diffusing panel.
UN
Universal_r
On the topic of what happens if bbc Persian tv wants to stay on air longer due to breaking news, can’t newsnight just be moved into E for that night?
AS
AlexS
On the topic of what happens if bbc Persian tv wants to stay on air longer due to breaking news, can’t newsnight just be moved into E for that night?

That wouldn't work for several reasons, not least because it'd be totally inappropriate for Newsnight to be delayed at short notice on the biggest news days of the year. BBC Persia managed without access to 54D for several months at the end of last year and beginning of this due to refurbishment if Wikipedia is to believed so it's not as though they don't have options available to them.
SP
Steve in Pudsey
Not once the schedule reverts to it starting at 10.30.

Could Persian use 44D, where it was for a while during 54D's refit? Or Newsnight from A?
AS
AlexS

Could Persian use 44D, where it was for a while during 54D's refit? Or Newsnight from A?

Studio A also appears to be mothballed with it's only regular output currently coming from elsewhere (a tiny greenscreen studio with one fixed camera in the case of Newswatch). At the very least I'd have thought BBC London could get away with using such a studio for their late bulletin which would free up D for Persian.
DT
DTV
AlexS posted:

Studio A also appears to be mothballed with it's only regular output currently coming from elsewhere (a tiny greenscreen studio with one fixed camera in the case of Newswatch). At the very least I'd have thought BBC London could get away with using such a studio for their late bulletin which would free up D for Persian.

Studio A being permanently out of action would be no loss in my book. In seven years, I don't think I've seen anything from it that I would describe as 'good'. The quality of the BBC's VR is massively behind ITV's - the standard news set being particularly poor.
DO
dosxuk
Weren't some of the initial NBH Hardtalk's filmed in A with a photo realistic copy of TC7 that almost escaped notice? There's also been bits of Marr pre-recorded in A using a realistic version of B that fit in seamlessly into the transmitted programme.

I don't think the issue with the look of A is down to technology, it's down to dubious design decisions about how the studio should look (which were repeated with the AR done for the election in B).
DT
DTV
I don't think the issue with the look of A is down to technology, it's down to dubious design decisions about how the studio should look (which were repeated with the AR done for the election in B).

I wasn't suggesting that the technology wasn't up to it - I'm sure the BBC invested in state of the art technology - just the actual VR sets themselves have tended to be fairly poor. I mean the generic news studio and Newswatch sets look like low-grade mocks off The Gallery. I just feel it's never been put to good use and the VR designers make elementary mistakes - like shiny floors.

Also, I wasn't going to mention the BBC's Election 2019 AR or VR - although ending Jeremy Vine's continued assault on the principles of information design would be my number 1 reason for preventing the BBC having access to green screens!
JF
JF World News
DTV posted:

I wasn't suggesting that the technology wasn't up to it - I'm sure the BBC invested in state of the art technology - just the actual VR sets themselves have tended to be fairly poor. I mean the generic news studio and Newswatch sets look like low-grade mocks off The Gallery. I just feel it's never been put to good use and the VR designers make elementary mistakes - like shiny floors.

Also, I wasn't going to mention the BBC's Election 2019 AR or VR - although ending Jeremy Vine's continued assault on the principles of information design would be my number 1 reason for preventing the BBC having access to green screens!

Studio A might be unmothballed for US election night
SP
Steve in Pudsey
AlexS posted:

I don't think A is mothballed so much as just not being used at the moment to reduce the number of staff in the building.
Parker and Alfie Mulcahy gave kudos

Newer posts