(March 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
WH
Whataday Founding member
Jon posted:
What was the actual music used?

DE
deejay
Needed more belly laughs for me. I found some of it quite bizarre and didn't entirely understand the joke in some of the sketches.

Out of interest, what jokes did you not get?

Actually I really can’t remember and I’m not sure I can be bothered to watch it again. I will try the next episode though. I just remember thinking that some sketches just didn’t work for me. It is highly likely this was also the case with the original spitting image. Most sketch shows have highs and lows, and even shows considered comedy gold often contain a reasonable number of less successful sketches (this is skewed in public memory by the same sketches shown over and over again in compilation shows rather than whole series repeated verbatim).
LL
London Lite Founding member
Britbox has already recommissioned Spitting Image to run for a second series in Autumn 2021.
Alfie Mulcahy and bilky asko gave kudos
WH
Whataday Founding member
Series 1 and 2 were both commissioned together.
bilky asko and Alfie Mulcahy gave kudos
JK
JKDerry
Surely Spitting Image will air on ITV after Series 1 has concluded? It would be madness if ITV did not cash in, and have them air on ITV or ITV 2 maybe in a few weeks?
JK
JKDerry
For people commenting that they feel they need to expand on the traits and personalities - the original Spitting Image did a great job, here is just a few I remember:

Kenneth Baker, Tory Home Secretary and Education Secretary was portrayed as a slug, slimey

Douglas Hurd, the Foreign Secretary was portrayed with a Mr Whippy ice cream styled hair and a Dalek voice

Willie Whitelaw, the Tory grandee always had fluffy eyebrows and wore a Scottish tartan dressing gown

Margaret Thatcher was always seen in a men's suit, using the men's toilets and chomping on cigars like Churchill

Roy Hattersley from Labour was always spitting huge amounts whenever he talked

Prince Charles had massive ears which moved on their own, with Princess Diana's clothes always changing every few seconds

The Queen Mother was a racing addict, spent a fortune on betting, was having a fling with jockey Lester Piggott and had a Birmingham accent, and was common, which explained why the Queen Mother rarely spoke in public

Alistair Burnet the ITN News reader was a smarmy royalist, always licking up to them and was nicknamed "Arselicker Burnet" by Private Eye magazine

Those are the few I remember, they were fantastic at their peak.
AS
Ash101

Surprised it won’t be on the US version of Britbox?
JK
JKDerry

NBC useless again, Never Broadcast Comedy
JC
JCB

Why would America need Spitting Image? It's pretty toothless and they have much better satire anyway.
MA
Markymark
JCB posted:

Why would America need Spitting Image? It's pretty toothless and they have much better satire anyway.

Like the comedy free zone that is SNL?
Inspector Sands, Larry the Loafer and VMPhil gave kudos
JC
JCB
JCB posted:

Like the comedy free zone that is SNL?

Nope. Trevor Noah, John Oliver Samantha Bee ect all do more thoughtful satire with more bite. Spitting Image barely rises above "Trump is orange LOL"
JK
JKDerry
What US satire show has any bite in 2020? I am trying to think of one. Jon Stewart was the gold standard in my view, but he quit in 2015 and handed over to Trevor Noah who ... just is weak most of the times.

Real Time with Bill Maher I enjoy, because it airs on HBO meaning no censorship at all and Bill can go off on any rant he wishes.

Apart from Real Time, there isn't really any good satire on American television.

Newer posts