The Newsroom

Coronavirus | Television News Coverage

(February 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
JC
JCB
ITV News has just spent more time talking about rumours of restrictions that might be brought in in Northern England than the news that restrictions actually are being brought in in Scotland

Based on previous situations, I wouldn’t be surprised if the BBC News did the same

Is it because Scotland News isn’t important enough, or is it because juicy gossip to rile everybody up is more important than actual facts?

ironically this is a pretty brazen distortion of facts in itself. As 'Brekkie' said it wasn't like that at all.
Charlesy, Rolling News and Brekkie gave kudos
MA
Meridian AM
ITV News has just spent more time talking about rumours of restrictions that might be brought in in Northern England than the news that restrictions actually are being brought in in Scotland

Based on previous situations, I wouldn’t be surprised if the BBC News did the same

Is it because Scotland News isn’t important enough, or is it because juicy gossip to rile everybody up is more important than actual facts?

Maybe because the Scotland restrictions don't affect most of the UK, with England having a much bigger population (50 million more).

Talking about possible restrictions in England will gain more interest (and therefore a higher viewership for the programme), as there are many more viewers there.

Luckily, viewers of STV in Scotland will have just had their national news right before the ITV Evening News, which no doubt covered it all in depth for them.
UN
Universal_r
I think the news was covered effectively, it was their top story and there wasn't much more they could have talked about. Although, they didn't talk about the national 5 exams being cancelled(GCSE equivalent) next year but that could've been mentioned and i just missed it.

And as Meridian AM pointed out the new restrictions were covered extensively on the STV news at 6 just before the ITV evening news.
TM
TMD_24
Presume tomorrow's BBC One schedule is going to be ripped up with there being a public data briefing in the morning with Jonathan Van Tam, PM statement in the Commons at 3:30pm (Approx) and a Downing Street Press Conference in the evening as well!
JA
JAS84
Nope. The Press Conference will likely boot Pointless off to BBC Two, but the other things will just be covered on BBC News.
RD
RDJ
Tonight’s conference is expected to happen at 6pm. So we could we’ll see the regional news bumped/delayed or The One Show bumped/delayed.
JO
Johnr
BBC1 have just booted off their 11am daytime programming to BBC2 to show a briefing from the scientists

Took a while for the editors to load up the PowerPoint on screen Very Happy
UN
Universal_r
How will they work the news at 6 tonight since the news conference is due to start at 6pm?
MF
Matthew_Fieldhouse
How will they work the news at 6 tonight since the news conference is due to start at 6pm?

The local news is scheduled to end at 19:35, obviously not final as it's listed twice but guess national news will be delayed

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/guide/bbcone
WO
Worzel
Quite a few cock ups and technical hitches happening on the BBC News channel this morning. Coming out of the Van-Tam presser Joanna was talking to the wrong camera for quite some time with Vicki Young doing her hair on the OTS monitor, poor Joanna hasn't been framed correctly on a few occasions, autocue seemed to crash at one point, issue just now coming out of the BOTH with the camera stuck and a reporter stuck on the far OTS screen and an interviewee being introduced to get their views criticising something (a plan to support the hospitality sector in the North I believe) where they were in fact the person co-ordinating the plan. Oops.
Last edited by Worzel on 12 October 2020 1:03pm
PE
peterrocket Founding member
Change of plan - word is the news conference has moved to 7pm now - regional news now probably normal.
Last edited by peterrocket on 12 October 2020 1:24pm
JO
Jonwo
Change of plan - it seems the news conference has moved to 7pm now - regional news now as normal.

It made no sense for it to be at 6pm when they’ve done press briefings at 7pm before.

I assume The One Show will be bumped or moved to BBC Two.

Newer posts