TV Home Forum

Local TV

Are you local? (July 2013)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
GH
Ghost
I’ve been watching a bit of Teesside TV lately, and I’ve noticed that they’ve been using a pre-break coming up bit (which talks about fears of a second wave and the government monitoring the quarantine list) repeatedly for at least a week (probably longer). They also show it if they aren’t talking about some or any of that at all, and even before the last break prior to a CBS Reality simulcast, meaning that they’re saying that there’s about to be more news shortly even if there’s going to be no news for several hours.

I know coronavirus is making it harder to provide a good service, but it still seems a bit poor to have this happen multiple times. Confused

(still better than That’s TV)
Last edited by Ghost on 8 September 2020 7:20pm - 2 times in total

30 days later

MI
TheMike
A corker from That's TV's recently revamped website:

Why is there news and information during some of your programming?

In case you're wondering why a local TV service might well be showing news and information:
Quote:
That’s TV is committed to providing valuable public service news and information. That’s TV provides an ‘info-screen’ during some hours of its programming. There is no need to adjust your set – this information is part of the broadcasts. This news and information is provided in addition to That’s TV’s regular news magazine programming.

Sigh...

Source: http://www.thats.tv/frequently-asked-questions/

(Edit: I'm sure they meant
"We can't afford to run a proper local news service, so we're plastering some news, weather and travel feeds around the screen to pacify Ofcom.")
Last edited by TheMike on 6 October 2020 11:36pm
AndrewPSSP, jonO and London Lite gave kudos
JA
JAS84
This week's Private Eye has a little bit about Lia Nici, previously the manager of Estuary TV in Grimsby, who is now the Conservative MP for Great Grimsby. These people always seem to land on their feet. She spoke up during a debate on BBC local programming cuts to make the point that "you can run a very high-quality local TV station for £500,000 a year".

According to the article, "from 2013-18 she ran Grimsby's Estuary TV, whose daily schedule comprised such local fare as British wrestling, old American westerns, old American comedy series and a half-hour local evening news programme shown on repeat throughout the day."

Are they actually describing Estuary TV? That sounds more like a description of the That's TV service that replaced it.

Estuary did indeed show wrestling (and it was actually local too, coming from Hull), and That's TV never did.
AM
Alfie Mulcahy
To me it seems odd that KMTV's tagline is 'TV made for Kent' when it should be 'TV made for parts of Medway, that bit around Tonbridge wells and one corner of sheppey'
BR
Brekkie
Well at least it isn't 'TV made for CBS Reality' or 'TV made for C4 15 years ago'.
Emily Moore, Colorband and Alfie Mulcahy gave kudos
MI
TheMike
To me it seems odd that KMTV's tagline is 'TV made for Kent' when it should be 'TV made for parts of Medway, that bit around Tonbridge wells and one corner of sheppey'

That's TV is equally guilty of making sound like they're a regional service when it's only receivable in a small area.

Example:
That's TV East Anglia
http://www.thats.tv/east-anglia/
Serving, according to That's TV, Norwich, Cambridge, Peterborough, Ipswich, Bury St Edmunds, Ely, Lowestoft, Great Yarmouth, King's Lynn .

I've put the places its TV signal doesn't cover in italics.
JA
JAS84
That doesn't make sense - it doesn't cover Great Yarmouth, which is in Norfolk, but does cover Cambridge, which is further away from Norwich in a different county?
MI
TheMike
JAS84 posted:
That doesn't make sense - it doesn't cover Great Yarmouth, which is in Norfolk, but does cover Cambridge, which is further away from Norwich in a different county?

That's TV East Anglia is what now runs on the former Mustard TV (Tacolneston) and Cambridge TV (Madingley) frequencies. Both stations use a directional beam from the transmitter site, restricting coverage.
TE
Technologist
This was one of the fallacies behind the decision to have Local TV.....
There is not a market for enough advertsing to sustain them - all the more so with the cost of emission
(Even though Comux offers very good value for money)
But there is not enough advertising for Local Rdaio - so its has gone (super) regional
and likewise for Print media either physical or web
so why is local TV in a multichannel (and internet) world seen to be a license to print money???
OV
Orry Verducci
That's TV is equally guilty of making sound like they're a regional service when it's only receivable in a small area.

Example:
That's TV East Anglia
Serving, according to That's TV, Norwich, Cambridge, Peterborough, Ipswich, Bury St Edmunds, Ely, Lowestoft, Great Yarmouth, King's Lynn .

To give them a little bit of credit, I'm in Ely and I do receive the Cambridge channel. Officially I think we're just outside the coverage area, but in practice our aerials line up with Madingley and the directional transmission does come in our direction.
MI
TheMike

Example:
That's TV East Anglia

To give them a little bit of credit, I'm in Ely and I do receive the Cambridge channel. Officially I think we're just outside the coverage area, but in practice our aerials line up with Madingley and the directional transmission does come in our direction.

Yes, you're outside the zone, although I believe the original provider of the Cambridge local TV service got a temporary extension to their coverage area by being allowed to widen their beam somewhat.

Update: I note that the Cambridge local multiplex has had two power increases during the 700MHz clearance programme; the original coverage extension permission expired in 2018. Coverage outside the core zone will be pot luck, as potential co-channel interference from Waltham possible in some areas, but fortunately aerials in Ely will be pointing away from the interferer.
Last edited by TheMike on 9 October 2020 12:57pm - 2 times in total
EM
Emily Moore
It's staggering that Cambridge TV went from this output:

...to "That's East Anglia".

Newer posts