The Newsroom

New Newsnight Studio

Move to 54D from 5th October (October 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
AS
AlexS

I can see clashes in the future during breaking news. Who gets priority in this studio in the event that Persian TV wishes to stay broadcasting into the night? It's happened to me three times while working on the channel - and many other times when it hasn't been me in the chair.

I would hope that this is the start of more working together between the English and Foreign language services and if so I would imagine that will largely depend on the story in question and how it's likely impact on different audiences. On the presumption that it is a story with relevance to the UK audience I imagine that Newsnight will be allowed to use 54D with another studio being found for Persian to use if at all possible (potentially studio D with London using one of the small world service green screen studios for it's short late bulletin or possibly a combined London and South East late bulletin from Tunbridge Wells if not a London centric story).
Saturday specials should be easier to plan for as long as they aren't scheduled within the same hour as the singular regional news bulletin on this basis with someone using D for the hour in question with Newsnight using whichever studio is freed up (or depending on the story in question one of C and E could well be unused due to a simulcast between World and the NC).
BR
Brekkie
Not a secret. When PTV launched in 2009 the main news desk was in front of the window, until the rebranding geniuses decided (in 2016??) that everything BBC News had to have the same generic newsroom background.
Also - Persian TV audience estimated 10-15 million people.
Newsnight best ever audience (Prince Andrew interview) - 2 million people.

Odd really considering all the nonsense we get about a London backdrop not being appropriate for a UK audience but the only channel they give a real backdrop is the one for the Persian audiences.
Alfie Mulcahy and Charles gave kudos
HA
harshy Founding member
House posted:
JAS84 posted:
If they're no longer sharing News at Ten's studio, why haven't they gone back to their usual 10.30 timeslot?

It is moving back according to the twitter feed for the programme.

I like it. Moving to a different studio during a pandemic is tough, and the fact that nothing about that set told me it wasn't designed for Newsnight says a lot about how well they’ve done. There are tweaks that can (and no doubt will) be made both as they spend more time in the space and as COVID restrictions eventually (hopefully) ease, but I thought it was the perfect fit for Newsnight. The ceiling is a bit low, but the set appears so vast and it’s lit so darkly that you don’t notice the ceiling unless you’re looking for it. I’ve never been much of a fan of how big the ceiling (and general set) was in studio B - it made people seem very small on wide shots, and was otherwise a pretty empty space. Outside of elections, Derbyshire’s occasional in-studio audience and musical guests on Marr, the vast majority of the space in B was never used for anything at all. For the amount of space it takes up, it’s actually a little baffling to justify.

This studio is a balance between intimate and large, has plenty of space for multiple presentation areas, and can be surprisingly well lit for a converted office space. This isn’t an N8 situation, and they’ve far more space than the Salford set Breakfast use has. I like it, and wouldn’t be surprised at all to see Marr move there (even if that means juggling the WS channels’ studio allocations on a Sunday).

Yeah but studio B was also used by BBC World News with Impact, Live with ..., Global in the good old days, all gone now.
LX
lxflyer
House posted:
JAS84 posted:
If they're no longer sharing News at Ten's studio, why haven't they gone back to their usual 10.30 timeslot?

It is moving back according to the twitter feed for the programme.

I like it. Moving to a different studio during a pandemic is tough, and the fact that nothing about that set told me it wasn't designed for Newsnight says a lot about how well they’ve done. There are tweaks that can (and no doubt will) be made both as they spend more time in the space and as COVID restrictions eventually (hopefully) ease, but I thought it was the perfect fit for Newsnight. The ceiling is a bit low, but the set appears so vast and it’s lit so darkly that you don’t notice the ceiling unless you’re looking for it. I’ve never been much of a fan of how big the ceiling (and general set) was in studio B - it made people seem very small on wide shots, and was otherwise a pretty empty space. Outside of elections, Derbyshire’s occasional in-studio audience and musical guests on Marr, the vast majority of the space in B was never used for anything at all. For the amount of space it takes up, it’s actually a little baffling to justify.

This studio is a balance between intimate and large, has plenty of space for multiple presentation areas, and can be surprisingly well lit for a converted office space. This isn’t an N8 situation, and they’ve far more space than the Salford set Breakfast use has. I like it, and wouldn’t be surprised at all to see Marr move there (even if that means juggling the WS channels’ studio allocations on a Sunday).

Yeah but studio B was also used by BBC World News with Impact, Live with ..., Global in the good old days, all gone now.

Don’t forget Talking Business - Aaron Heslehurst used the floor space in B to the max!
BR
Brekkie
Have the branded shows returned to BBC World News?

Also with BBC Persia do they just loop the last bulletin overnight or do they show BBC World? As someone said this arrangement is fine until there is some breaking news which would usually see BBC Persia on air beyond it's normal hours. Presumably then either A or C would become available as a backup for either Newsnight or BBC Persia.

Is it only this studio and B then that had both a sofa area and desk area?
LX
lxflyer
No the branded shows have not returned.
WS
wstvop
...with BBC Persia do they just loop the last bulletin overnight or do they show BBC World? As someone said this arrangement is fine until there is some breaking news which would usually see BBC Persia on air beyond it's normal hours. Presumably then either A or C would become available as a backup for either Newsnight or BBC Persia.

The final 27-minute bulletin of the evening is repeated twice overnight, and the "60 Minutes" programme (Newsnight in Farsi) repeated once. The rest of the time it's a mix of Farsi-language programming.

BBC Persian, in contract to BBC Arabic, is predominantly an entertainment/current affairs channel. Think BBC2 with a slightly heavier focus on news. BBC Arabic is predominantly rolling news with some current affairs mixed in.
GI
ginnyfan
I really don't feel the loss of Studio B. I was never a fan of it. Yes it gave them a chance to have different set ups for different shows and it offered a decent amount of space but it never looked that good IMO. It had 2 very similar sides and both were used in similar ways. It lacked the character that other BBC studios have. C,E and other minor sets like new Newsnight, all have certain warmth and something special about that. B not so much. Generic World bulletins looked especially dire in it.
Jory, House and Charles gave kudos
BA
Ballyboy
Where does focus on Africa come from then just curious?
AS
AlexS
Where does focus on Africa come from then just curious?

99.9% of the time it comes from Studio C
BR
Brekkie
The biggest loss from B is losing the continuous video wall - if that could make it's way over to E it would be great.
JA
Jamesypoo
The final 27-minute bulletin of the evening is repeated twice overnight, and the "60 Minutes" programme (Newsnight in Farsi) repeated once. The rest of the time it's a mix of Farsi-language programming.

Assuming the 60 Minutes programme is the one featured in this video, I was interested to see it's branding is essentially a night time version of the Newsday branding.

Newer posts