The Newsroom

New Newsnight Studio

Move to 54D from 5th October (October 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
:-(
A former member
Quote:
Removed

Way to prove my last point there. Thanks.
MD
mdtauk
Why is Studio B being mothballed? Do we have any information about that decision?

When Newsnight first moved into E - I assumed it was to keep staff in place, and operate with the automated cameras.

"Mothballed" at least implies it can be brought back into operation in the future, rather than being dismantled and the space used for other purposes.

Do the other shows which came from B move, like Andrew Marr?
LL
London Lite Founding member
Not the most observational comment from me, but it does the job and in comparison to what we've seen from E over the last six months, an improvement.
SP
Steve in Pudsey
Money. They stopped using it during Covid and it seems that somebody realised that they could do without it permanently. It requires more staff to operate than C and E.

Marr has been in E for the last few months.
NE
neonemesis
TBH it looks like a small B. They've done a great job with what they have. Agree that ceiling height makes things look a little squashed but not in any way distracting.
MU
MrUdagawa
Did anyone notice that we could hear someone (Emily I assume) walking across the floor while Katie Razzall was presenting at the wall?
Last edited by MrUdagawa on 6 October 2020 9:08am
MI
m_in_m
Did anyone notice that we could hear someone (Emily I assume) walking across the floor while Katie Razzall was presenting at the wall?

I think it was the guest they interviewed as Emily was still at the desk after Katie's piece finished.
JA
JAS84
If they're no longer sharing News at Ten's studio, why haven't they gone back to their usual 10.30 timeslot?
MI
m_in_m
JAS84 posted:
If they're no longer sharing News at Ten's studio, why haven't they gone back to their usual 10.30 timeslot?

Possibly because they hadn’t finalised the studio change date till after schedules were published or they want a period of time to get settled before returning. Alternatively the controller of BBC2 doesn’t want them to return to 2230.
HO
House
JAS84 posted:

It is moving back according to the twitter feed for the programme.

I like it. Moving to a different studio during a pandemic is tough, and the fact that nothing about that set told me it wasn't designed for Newsnight says a lot about how well they’ve done. There are tweaks that can (and no doubt will) be made both as they spend more time in the space and as COVID restrictions eventually (hopefully) ease, but I thought it was the perfect fit for Newsnight. The ceiling is a bit low, but the set appears so vast and it’s lit so darkly that you don’t notice the ceiling unless you’re looking for it. I’ve never been much of a fan of how big the ceiling (and general set) was in studio B - it made people seem very small on wide shots, and was otherwise a pretty empty space. Outside of elections, Derbyshire’s occasional in-studio audience and musical guests on Marr, the vast majority of the space in B was never used for anything at all. For the amount of space it takes up, it’s actually a little baffling to justify.

This studio is a balance between intimate and large, has plenty of space for multiple presentation areas, and can be surprisingly well lit for a converted office space. This isn’t an N8 situation, and they’ve far more space than the Salford set Breakfast use has. I like it, and wouldn’t be surprised at all to see Marr move there (even if that means juggling the WS channels’ studio allocations on a Sunday).
WS
wstvop
JAS84 posted:

Possibly because they hadn’t finalised the studio change date till after schedules were published or they want a period of time to get settled before returning. Alternatively the controller of BBC2 doesn’t want them to return to 2230.

Also, until UK clock change, Persian TV don't come off-air until 21:35. After clock change, it reverts to 20:35.

Perhaps the reduced rehearsal/recording time was a factor, too.

Amazing that they’ve been keeping this studio with a real window view a secret all these years, it seems too good just to be used for a foreign language news service
There are many an English region that would kill for a studio like this

Not a secret. When PTV launched in 2009 the main news desk was in front of the window, until the rebranding geniuses decided (in 2016??) that everything BBC News had to have the same generic newsroom background.
Also - Persian TV audience estimated 10-15 million people.
Newsnight best ever audience (Prince Andrew interview) - 2 million people.

-------------------

I can see clashes in the future during breaking news. Who gets priority in this studio in the event that Persian TV wishes to stay broadcasting into the night? It's happened to me three times while working on the channel - and many other times when it hasn't been me in the chair.
MI
m_in_m
Also what will happen for Newsnight Saturday specials or are these unlikely to appear? They’ve always been entirely news dependent.

Newer posts