The Newsroom

Newsnight

(September 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
AA
Aaron_2015
I expect it will be back in regular use again (even if far less than it used to be) once the coronaviris issues have gone away. At the moment the benefits of restricting the amount of spaces in use and amount of people needed to operate them far outweigh the benefits of having a big studio available. That balance will change many times over the lifetime of NBH, so I very much doubt we have seen the last of it.

But is it not a cost based decision rather than a coronavirus based decision? As I’ve said before, every program that came from Studio B can be produced in other studios with no drop in the quality of programming, but (presumably) a significant saving in cost. If cuts have to be made, sadly it’s the exact area to make them. Viewers genuinely won’t notice the difference.

In terms of logistics/operations/studios, BBC News should be ran as if it is a commercial network, to be as efficient as possible. ITV News (although I appreciate a much, much smaller operation) is a perfect example - using the same studio for its main news bulletins and ITV News London, simply turning the cameras round as needed.

No idea if Studio B will return for the US Election, but a slightly modified Studio E (with the newsroom relit) would look far, far superior IMO.
JosiahStuart and Alfie Mulcahy gave kudos
JK
JKDerry
I expect it will be back in regular use again (even if far less than it used to be) once the coronaviris issues have gone away. At the moment the benefits of restricting the amount of spaces in use and amount of people needed to operate them far outweigh the benefits of having a big studio available. That balance will change many times over the lifetime of NBH, so I very much doubt we have seen the last of it.

But is it not a cost based decision rather than a coronavirus based decision? As I’ve said before, every program that came from Studio B can be produced in other studios with no drop in the quality of programming, but (presumably) a significant saving in cost. If cuts have to be made, sadly it’s the exact area to make them. Viewers genuinely won’t notice the difference.

In terms of logistics/operations/studios, BBC News should be ran as if it is a commercial network, to be as efficient as possible. ITV News (although I appreciate a much, much smaller operation) is a perfect example - using the same studio for its main news bulletins and ITV News London, simply turning the cameras round as needed.

No idea if Studio B will return for the US Election, but a slightly modified Studio E (with the newsroom relit) would look far, far superior IMO.

ITV News have done very well in such a small studio. Studio 1 at ITN is basically a complete green screen studio, with two desk areas facing each other, and the green screen backdrop supported on either side as a mirror copy of each other. Perfect.

ITV News London does have to pre-record a lot or part of their 6pm news as ITV Evening News need time to get in, rehearse and get ready for the 6.30pm start.
JosiahStuart and Alfie Mulcahy gave kudos
BR
Brekkie
I bet the closure of this studio will boil of the blood of the anti BBC brigade, especially the likes of Alex Belfield, who seems to be on a vendetta against the BBC.

I have watched his YouTube channel, it should be renamed The Daily BBC Basher as it is non stop and terrible. I hope people don't take people like Alex seriously, as he started the Defund the BBC fundraiser, and picks on every little story about the BBC, to try and use it to his advantage.

Don't even mention him then. And certainly don't watch his channel.
DT
DTV

To be fair, I don't imagine their is much wastage or inefficiencies left at BBC News after a decade of cut backs. Anything that couldn't be justified is pretty much gone and domestic output can only be cross-subsidised by BBC World News so far.
UN
Universal_r
Moz posted:

Chris Cook says Studio B is closed forever. This must be due to the BBC News cuts, not Coronavirus. It's a real shame and makes my blood boil when you look at the money spent on the new BBC Wales studios. How can regional TV have better studios than national?

I do like the look of 54D though - I wonder if they are allowed to light up All Saints in Newsnight purple & blue!!? Very Happy

Here’s the tweet out of interest.

He does say it will make special occasional appearances, so at least it’s not gone forever.
MI
TheMike
In the meantime, the BBC can earn a bit on the side by renting out studio B as a storage space for the TVS Archive.
BA
Ballyboy

DO
dosxuk
Moz posted:

Chris Cook says Studio B is closed forever. This must be due to the BBC News cuts, not Coronavirus. It's a real shame and makes my blood boil when you look at the money spent on the new BBC Wales studios. How can regional TV have better studios than national?

I do like the look of 54D though - I wonder if they are allowed to light up All Saints in Newsnight purple & blue!!? Very Happy

He does say it will make special occasional appearances, so at least it’s not gone forever.

In other words, no, it's not closed forever. Chris' reply read to me more like it's planned for Newsnight to come from 54D permanently rather than B was closed for good.
Universal_r, bilky asko and Alfie Mulcahy gave kudos
AM
Alfie Mulcahy
Moz posted:

Cue discussion of which bits of the Studio B set will fit inside regional TV studios. Wink

I wonder what they'll do with the space? Offices? Or just keep it there? Will the BBC re-number the studios?
GI
ginnyfan
Looks like quite a downgrade. Why don't they use Studio C for it? It would be perfect for Newsnight.

World and News Channel could simulcast from Studio E anyway.
AM
Alfie Mulcahy
Looks like quite a downgrade. Why don't they use Studio C for it? It would be perfect for Newsnight.

World and News Channel could simulcast from Studio E anyway.

I quite like the way it looks. I prefer it to C if I'm honest.
Universal_r, Jory and Ballyboy gave kudos
DT
DTV

Cue discussion of which bits of the Studio B set will fit inside regional TV studios. Wink

I wonder what they'll do with the space? Offices? Or just keep it there? Will the BBC re-number the studios?

I shall imagine they'll keep the set standing as I think we all anticipate that it'll still be used for things like election night. At least, it'll certainly be a step up from the last mothballed studio elections got to use.

Newer posts