The Newsroom

Newsnight

(September 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
MA
Markymark
"54D" sounds more like a bra size than a studio. (The former is not exactly my area of expertise, duckie...)

Is there any humanly-comprehensible explanation for the naming convention?

I know Granada named their studios in even numbers only to give the illusion they had twice as many as for real, perhaps the Beeb are trying to similarly play 'Top Trumps'? (no pun intended)
IS
Inspector Sands
"54D" sounds more like a bra size than a studio. (The former is not exactly my area of expertise, duckie...)

It's fifth floor, studio 4... but can't think what the D is, possibly a sector of the building?
AS
AlexS

It's fifth floor, studio 4... but can't think what the D is, possibly a sector of the building?

Looking at how various other studios are labeled it would look more likely to be floor 5 sector 4 studio D (where the D could either refer to it being the 4th studio or room in general in the sector or what type of studio it is) as there are various numbers with several studios which would make no sense if part of the number refers to the specific studio.
SP
Steve in Pudsey
I thought it was 5th floor, the 4 denotes the part of the building and the letter is the particular studio on that floor?

Eg the two radio 4 continuity studios are 40A and 40B, on floor 4 of Old Broadcasting House. Radio 1's studios are 82A 82B etc on the 8th Floor of the Peel Wing
DE
deejay
It’s the radio naming convention essentially. First figure is the floor number. Second figure is the area, then studios are given a letter, A, B etc.
The area code 0 is for Old Broadcasting House, so the main radio studio spaces are called things like 60D and 50B.
Moz and Alfie Mulcahy gave kudos
BR
Brekkie
So quite a distance from their old space then, and presumably further away from their production offices.
RT
Run_Telecine
They will be moving to 54D, the Persian TV studio, in due course

That's actually quite a logical studio to use for Newsnight. It's now HD, and does have an area that looks down Regent Street.

BBC Persian's studio isn't generally used after 8.40pm (except the few weeks between the Iranian clocks and UK clocks going back), so plenty of time for Newsnight to do pre-recs and rehearse. (all unless there's big Breaking News that PTV need to cover)

As far as I know the D in 54D denotes a gallery/studio. 54E and 54F would be edit suites, I think. Ditto 34D and 44D for ATV.
RD
RDJ

I'm guessing this is 34D. The views of Regent Street could look quite nice at night with the car headlights down the promenade and All Saints Church lit up. I don't think it's set up in the best way to take advantage of it in that video. They would benefit from a platform and a desk, which I think I've seen it set up that way before.
JF
JF World News
RDJ posted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWjUreWv_mk

I'm guessing this is 34D. The views of Regent Street could look quite nice at night with the car headlights down the promenade and All Saints Church lit up. I don't think it's set up in the best way to take advantage of it in that video. They would benefit from a platform and a desk, which I think I've seen it set up that way before.

I thought it was the one which looked like the old N8
ST
Stuart
RDJ posted:

No that is 54D. Originally the desk was in front of the window.

They used to have gauze blinds (and perhaps still do) for night time which have a printed image of lit up buildings, but allowed the moving traffic lights to show through. It looked very effective, as bad weather wouldn't really affect the overall image.

EDIT: It would make a lovely home for BBC Breakfast, but I suppose they'd have to kick out the Persians permanently for that.
Last edited by Stuart on 4 October 2020 8:37pm
RT
Run_Telecine
RDJ posted:

No that is 54D. Originally the desk was in front of the window.

They used to have gauze blinds (and perhaps still do) for night time which have a printed image of lit up buildings, but allowed the moving traffic lights to show through. It looked very effective, as bad weather wouldn't really affect the overall image.

EDIT: It would make a lovely home for BBC Breakfast, but I suppose they'd have to kick out the Persians permanently for that.

Looks nice, shame it was a gloomy day. I don't know whether they still have polarised blinds on the windows with filter wheels on the cameras. That's a nice 'soft set', which will go well with the 'hard set' in that studio. I might post some photos of how that studio looked a few years ago.
MO
Moz
When they say permanent new home, do they really mean permanent permanent? Will they never go back to Studio B even when the COVID has gone. If so, that’s completely rubbish.

Also, why are they still at 10:45?

Newer posts