The Newsroom

GB News

Andrews's Express Article - Page 38 (September 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
DJ
DJGM

It's clear you have an alternative view. It's a shame you don't go as far to say what it is.

The idea that comedy writers and talk shows in the US haven’t been dining out on Trump over the past few years is ridiculous.

There certainly was a fair bit of Trump bashing material on US late night talk shows before long before he was elected US President. Such as when Trump was constantly ranting about Obama's birth certificate, mostly on Twitter, Letterman often had material about this when he was hosting The Late Show. Also Dave's regular mentions of "... that thing on Trump's head ...!"

That said, Trump was quite a frequent guest on Letterman's shows, right back to when he hosted Late Night on NBC. Letterman was always respectful towards Trump as a guest, even though he regularly took the p**s at the same time.
Jeffmister and London Lite gave kudos
JK
JKDerry
Personally I believe there was a change in Donald Trump's personality from the moment he came down that escalator to announce his run for president in 2015. I believe whichever advisers he hired, they had a terrible effect on him. I think he was advised to get tough, no holds barred, just speak your mind, and boy he did.

Stephen Colbert met Donald Trump when he along with Trump were guests on Fallon's Tonight Show, and even Colbert who truly despises Trump now, said he was a nice, polite man. The person we see and hear now from 2015 onward is not the same man before 2015.
CI
cityprod

It's clear you have an alternative view. It's a shame you don't go as far to say what it is.

The idea that comedy writers and talk shows in the US haven’t been dining out on Trump over the past few years is ridiculous.

I didn't say they hadn't been dining out on Trump. I stated that it had been harder to write comedy that actively satirised the President, mainly cos of his own words and actions. In effect, he often satirised himself unintentionally. But it also meant that the writers had a harder time writing material that Trump himself wasn't providing, simply because what had been the comedy default had now become reality. Therefore, you struggle with going further because people wouldn't believe it. Good satire is right on the borderline of reality and fantasy, and many times Trump was right on if not over that line already, so how can you further satirise him? It just wasn't possible.
LV
LondonViewer
Perhaps, but he’s good for their ratings. The Late Show now ahead of The Tonight Show etc etc. It’s been well documented in the trade press throughout his presidency.
JK
JKDerry
Perhaps, but he’s good for their ratings. The Late Show now ahead of The Tonight Show etc etc. It’s been well documented in the trade press throughout his presidency.

Colbert beats Fallon because Colbert has bite and Fallon is weak as dish water. Fallon was perfect for the Obama era, all soft comedy with very little satirical bite, and along comes Trump and Fallon fell down.

Also, when Trump appeared on Fallon, his interview was ridiculed and slammed by many in the US media for not addressing key issues and for humanising Trump to the Fallon audience.
MB
Media Box
Personally I believe there was a change in Donald Trump's personality from the moment he came down that escalator to announce his run for president in 2015. I believe whichever advisers he hired, they had a terrible effect on him. I think he was advised to get tough, no holds barred, just speak your mind, and boy he did.

Stephen Colbert met Donald Trump when he along with Trump were guests on Fallon's Tonight Show, and even Colbert who truly despises Trump now, said he was a nice, polite man. The person we see and hear now from 2015 onward is not the same man before 2015.

I can believe that.

Caught an old clip on YouTube of Trump appearing on Letterman several years ago, and he was totally different. Funny, entertaining and perfectly 'normal'. Not the nasty piece of wok we see today.
JO
Joe
Not the nasty piece of wok we see today.

I absolutely detest mean frying pans.
JK
JKDerry

I can believe that.

Caught an old clip on YouTube of Trump appearing on Letterman several years ago, and he was totally different. Funny, entertaining and perfectly 'normal'. Not the nasty piece of wok we see today.

I think we have Steve Bannon and Stephen Miller to "thank" for the Donald Trump we have now during his presidency. Their advice and input has caused Trump to change. It is all to do with appealing to the Republican base, and the hard right - these two men have gone down avenues where other presidential advisers never went. Even Karl Rove had some limits.
MB
Media Box
Joe posted:
Not the nasty piece of wok we see today.

I absolutely detest mean frying pans.

Lol. My bad.
MA
madmusician

Colbert beats Fallon because Colbert has bite and Fallon is weak as dish water. Fallon was perfect for the Obama era, all soft comedy with very little satirical bite, and along comes Trump and Fallon fell down.

Also, when Trump appeared on Fallon, his interview was ridiculed and slammed by many in the US media for not addressing key issues and for humanising Trump to the Fallon audience.

The Late Night shows have not traditionally been intensely political, though, at least not in the manner that Colbert's show is now.

Letterman and Leno weren't interviewing politicians, advisers and journalists in the same way that Colbert immediately did when he took over the Late Show. Obviously Letterman and Leno would have a few monologue jokes about current affairs, but that was a very different beast to what Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert developed in the early-00s over on Comedy Central. There should still absolutely be a place for a non-political satire late night show. Whether or not one likes Jimmy Fallon's comedy, he should absolutely be able to do a show that is just silly, funny and absurd without a serious attention towards politics.

I totally agree that the Colbert show has benefitted from the Trump administration, as it gave his Late Show a target and a bite and a USP. Perhaps I'm spectacularly naive, though, but I fully suspect that he as a person would rather Trump lost the presidency and he (Colbert) started losing in the ratings to Fallon, rather than the other way round. In fact, he says as much in this interview! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xx51IrK8mnM
Jeffmister and JKDerry gave kudos
CI
cityprod

The Late Night shows have not traditionally been intensely political, though, at least not in the manner that Colbert's show is now.

Letterman and Leno weren't interviewing politicians, advisers and journalists in the same way that Colbert immediately did when he took over the Late Show. Obviously Letterman and Leno would have a few monologue jokes about current affairs, but that was a very different beast to what Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert developed in the early-00s over on Comedy Central.

Whilst they might not have been known for doing newsmaker interviews, both Letterman and Leno did do some major newsmaker interviews on multiple occasions and often produced some of the most interesting, insightful, and watchable interviews. Yes, they always had a comedic edge to them, but Letterman's interviews could often as incisive and insightful as any journalist, and Leno always had a great everyday person approach to doing these kind of interviews, and both produced great interviews as a result. Conan O'Brien was another who could produce great interviews when it was required. He could play the idiot, and get his guest to explain things in a way that made it totally understandable, and Conan was absolutely great at pulling that off.
LL
London Lite Founding member
I wonder if Newsmax is the template they'll be using for GB News? On their 9-11 'buleltin', there was pro-Trump coverage of his brief drive outside the hospital to meet his supporters from a car.

It's not as extreme as Fox News, but still a partisan 'news' channel.

Newer posts