TV Home Forum

Spitting Image to return on BritBox

WH
Whataday Founding member Wales Wales Today
They really need to get the original theme back, even if it's reworked again, but otherwise it was a decent watch.

How it should have been:

I'm guessing a different character is going to be exposed as the graffiti artist each week.
London Lite and Stuart gave kudos
JO
Jon Recently warned Central (West) Midlands Today
What was the actual music used?

For me that music is a bit dated and it’s not one of those iconic theme tunes, that everyone knows regardless of whether you watched the show at the time or not.

Not really sure it would work for much of the intended audience who wouldn’t be old enough to remember the original.
Last edited by Jon on 3 October 2020 7:23pm
AM
AlfieMulcahy Meridian (South East) South East Today
They really need to get the original theme back, even if it's reworked again, but otherwise it was a decent watch.

How it should have been:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZswL1CsV-Ng

I'm guessing a different character is going to be exposed as the graffiti artist each week.

Yes definitely. It would've been so.easy to work in.

They could've also had other puppets walking past adding things (Trump spraying the undercoat, the queen spraying the name and Boris putting the tape up.
Hello, I'm using WhatsApp
WH
Whataday Founding member Wales Wales Today
Jon posted:
For me that music is a bit dated and it’s not one of those iconic theme tunes, that everyone knows regardless of whether you watched the show at the time or not.

Amazed to hear you said that. It's a really iconic tune. Almost as iconic as the puppets themselves. Whenever Spitting Image is featured in retrospective documentaries, a clip of the theme is nearly always played.

The whole "kids today wouldn't recognise it anyway" argument doesn't really stand up too strong when you're bringing back a nostalgic brand.
NW
nwtv2003 Granada North West Today
I really enjoyed the episode today, it was a very strong start. I was quite surprised to see a number of American writers and voice artists on the credits also.
steve
steviegTVreturns
BR
Brekkie Recently warned Wales Wales Today
Jon posted:
What was the actual music used?

Agree - that theme tune is completely unfamiliar to me.
Turns out nobody had 2020 vision.
Amber Avenger, Meridian AM and Jon gave kudos
LL
Larry the Loafer Granada North West Today
As long as the theme tune had those four distinctive notes somewhere in it, it would be fine.

Having finally watched it, I thought it was pretty good, a personal highlight being Dominic Cummings' wobbly eyes. I don't think it's quite enough to be a draw for new subscribers though, and I think it's a bit wasted not having it on a linear channel.

My biggest gripe is relying on existing tropes and stereotypes, especially Trump and Boris. The original series managed to create absurd characters for the people they targeted, rather than just "being" them. I felt they could've been a lot more creative with some of the characters, but it's early days after all.

It s***ts all over Newzoids, though.
London Lite, DeMarkay and AlfieMulcahy gave kudos
JA
james-2001 Central (East) East Midlands Today
The original series managed to create absurd characters for the people they targeted, rather than just "being" them.

Nice peas, Norma.
AN
Anglialad Anglia (West) Look East (West sub-opt)
Interestingly, it's the Mail's review who have decried it as being unbalanced and unfunny, whereas the Guardian have been quite complimentary.

I'm surprised it's not the other way round.
commseng - "Radio Homicide would be murder to listen to".
IS
Inspector Sands
Jonwo posted:
I wonder if we'll see William and Kate make an appearance in future episodes?

Odd that Rishi Sunak didn't appear in any of the Cabinet sketches unless they're saving him for later.

Wonder how they'll deal with Trump from now on, especially if his condition deteriorates
MrUdagawa, iloveTV1 and AlfieMulcahy gave kudos
AM
AlfieMulcahy Meridian (South East) South East Today

So we know who wrote the theme then..
Hello, I'm using WhatsApp
DE
deejay Oxford
Needed more belly laughs for me. I found some of it quite bizarre and didn't entirely understand the joke in some of the sketches. Prince Harry's accent was very odd indeed. The voice behind Boris, Trump and Starmer (and doubtless some others) was on The BBC News-Show-With-No-Name the other day and did an excellent turn. He's got Boris down to a tee and his Trump is rather good too. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/entertainment-arts-54380644

But it was good to have merciless satire back in this form (it retained the schoolboy silliness that used to be one of the USPs of the original series). And I was delighted to see it end with a song and dance number.
Two minutes regions...
plymouthbloke1974 and AlfieMulcahy gave kudos

Newer posts