TV Home Forum

Coronavirus - Impact on live/recorded shows

Several talk programmes have cancelled studio audiences (March 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
JO
Jonwo
I've always thought there was a bit of artistic licence with the auctions anyway and they weren't always present in the room when the items were being auctioned.

They're usually at the back of the auction room, it can and must be quite annoying if one of the teams is squealing and making a lot of noise when their items makes a profit.
BH
BillyH Founding member
The early Dickinson episodes had them all talking very quietly, indicating they were in the auction room at least then and weren’t allowed to raise their voice too much - leading to one amusing moment where a team from America were making a loss and the contestant suddenly screamed “COME ON, BID!!” at the room, to the obvious horror of Dickinson.
JO
Jonwo
Loose Women found a solution to have more than three people on the panel, they had Eamonn and Ruth and Peter and Emily Andre as anchor and panelists.
DM
DeMarkay
Jonwo posted:
Loose Women found a solution to have more than three people on the panel, they had Eamonn and Ruth and Peter and Emily Andre as anchor and panelists.

Those couples live together... the Loose Women do not.
SP
Steve in Pudsey
I think that was Jonwo's point.
IS
Inspector Sands
Have I Got News For You back tonight with perspex screens between the panel and am audience distant and split between studio and cinema at Riverside.

Felt a bit different, particularly the studio which seemed much smaller, the wide shot was a lot narrower and it didn't pull back at the end.

A bit of an error on the announcement into the programme which said it started on BBC One 30 years ago
AndrewPSSP, Soupnzi and paul_hadley gave kudos
WH
Whataday Founding member
i think they could have done with some cutaways of the audiences throughout the show as many have been commenting on the "canned laughter".
DJ
DJGM
Certainly seemed a lot more "normal" than the previous HIGNFY series that had everyone appearing via video link on Zoom. The lack of wide shot usually seen during the end credits would suggest that, for this series at least, they don't have the usual audience areas the show has always had on either side of the set for social distancing purposes.
JA
james-2001
i think they could have done with some cutaways of the audiences throughout the show as many have been commenting on the "canned laughter".

People always complain about "canned laughter", even when you can prove definitively it's a real audience.
JO
Jonwo
Graham Norton seems to have adopted the QT method for his return to the studio:*
Last edited by Jonwo on 2 October 2020 11:13pm
FA
fanoftv
Graham Norton has also returned to the studio for the first time since lockdown. The set has had its biggest change with a large circular stage allowing guests to socially distance on chairs rather than a sofa, Graham’s sofa moved to the centre of the stage and the surrounding set tweaked to balance on both sides. It works very well like this in my opinion, and it’s a lovely little change.

JO
Jonwo
I've always thought the sofa was very cramped so I think it would good to adopt the chairs when the pandemic ends although obviously have them closer to Graham,

Newer posts