The Newsroom

The Sky News Thread

(October 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
RE
Reece24
Gillian and Sam Washington are presenting Sky News Today with a raised desk today and sitting on stools in the Glassbox - is this a first time thing?
VA
valley
Gillian and Sam Washington are presenting Sky News Today with a raised desk today and sitting on stools in the Glassbox - is this a first time thing?

It’s happened before when the riser in the desk has broken. Not sure if it’s intentional today.
AJ
AJ
Interesting that they took the TOTH from the Today Show at 12noon. Nice to see them dipping to their coverage given overnight events.
CW
CraigWills

Problem with the desk, I assume. Stephen was also on a stool at the very start of the Early Rundown this morning, and the Press Preview had the desk in a different position, with Anna also on a stool also. Sam Naz presented from studio 6 from midnight til 6am.
Interesting that Sky News Today is double headed today, it’s been Jayne solo all this week.

Also congrats to Gillian!

SO
Soupnzi
Good to see Sky simulcasting the first couple of minutes of the Today show at 12pm today (shame we couldn’t have had about 10 mins). They’re currently showing a large live slab of MSNBC where Nancy Pelosi is being interviewed.

Sky has always done this a bit down the years (inc when they used to show the CBS Evening News of course), and I really think it enhances the viewing experience for those in Britain, at a time when CNNi is generally more compelling.
DE
derek500
In the early days they simulcast two bottom of the hour segments of the US breakfast shows, as well as the nightly news. Over the years they took NBC, ABC and CBS's content.

The likes of Bryant Gumbal, Katie Couric, Matt Lauer, Al Roker, Charles Gibson, Harry Smith, Peter Jennings, Dan Rather and Tom Brokaw et al were household names, in our household!
SO
Soupnzi
A bit more US simulcasting

AA
Aaron_2015
I actually quite like the idea of Sky News showing coverage from NBC, hopefully it’ll become a fairly regular thing. Running up to the election, they could show the first half an hour of Today every day at 12pm.

The desk in the glass box, meanwhile, is still broken, they’re using the barstools that look like they’ve been nabbed from the canteen.

Is the glass box desk still adjustable from coffee table height up to standing height ? Not sure if I read on here that the desk had stopped working as it was designed a while ago.
VA
valley
Is the glass box desk still adjustable from coffee table height up to standing height ? Not sure if I read on here that the desk had stopped working as it was designed a while ago.

Yes it is, as long as it’s not broken (as it has been these past few days).
Last edited by valley on 4 October 2020 12:48pm
WI
Willz
I actually quite like the idea of Sky News showing coverage from NBC, hopefully it’ll become a fairly regular thing. Running up to the election, they could show the first half an hour of Today every day at 12pm.

The desk in the glass box, meanwhile, is still broken, they’re using the barstools that look like they’ve been nabbed from the canteen.

As a fan of the Today Show but cant watch it, I would love that!
LL
London Lite Founding member
Sky is simulcasting Meet the Press today at 2pm.
RD
rdd Founding member
Incidentally in the very early days of Sky News they did show Today - two back half hours of it, at 12:30pm and 1:30pm. At the time most Sky News bulletins outside of Sunrise and Live at Five were 30 minutes long, and there were feature and prerecorded programmes in the back half hour slots.

Newer posts