The Newsroom

US ELECTIONS 2020 Coverage

The place to discuss everything US election related.

JO
Jon Central (West) Midlands Today
On the debate and there has been a lot of criticism levelled at Chris Wallace’s handling of the whole thing. But I’m not sure anyone else could have handled it better without the ability to mute the mics of the candidates when the other is speaking.
scottishtv, bilky asko and Cando gave kudos
MO
Mouseboy33
The ratings were down from 2016 and it was complete chaos. But overall 73 MILLION people watched.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/30/media/first-presidential-debate-tv-ratings/index.html

Presidential Debate Opener Drops Sharply From 2016’s Record High In Early Numbers; ABC Tops Nets In First Trump-Biden Showdown
https://deadline.com/2020/09/presidential-debate-ratings-down-donald-trump-joe-biden-chris-wallace-1234588689/

SO much so that the Commission on Presidential Debates will put in places changes to stop it. (Always unprecedented measures have to be put iin place when it comes to this administration...shocker). Leads me to believe it wasnt watched because most people already have decided. Its completely irrelevant.

What a mess....

Last edited by Mouseboy33 on 30 September 2020 11:16pm - 3 times in total
I'm here to give you something to talk about! You're Welcome.
https://youtu.be/1g18oiI2WIU
AN
all new Phil Yorkshire Look North (Yorkshire)
I thought it was quite entertaining. Depressing, but fun.
jordanhowell, Stuart and Jon gave kudos
BF
BFGArmy Channel Channel Islands
With the Trump COVID news, the CNN Domestic team are pulling a late shift. Anderson Cooper, Dana Bush still on at this hour (when Anderson’s show is usually done 6 hours or so ago). Unsurprisingly too Dr Sanjay Gupta is also on but then it’s more of a surprise when he’s not on air.
BB
BBI45 Central (East) East Midlands Today
With the Trump COVID news, the CNN Domestic team are pulling a late shift. Anderson Cooper, Dana Bush still on at this hour (when Anderson’s show is usually done 6 hours or so ago). Unsurprisingly too Dr Sanjay Gupta is also on but then it’s more of a surprise when he’s not on air.

Here is how the news was broken:

When this happened, Robyn was just taking over from Don Lemon, who had been covering the initial story of adviser Hope Hicks testing positive and the President isolating. IIRC, within the hour before the announcement about Trump, they had been raising questions about why they hadn't heard anything about the President's rapid test results.
And of course, the thing you must not do if the ape is enraged is the Macarena.
scottishtv and AJB39 gave kudos
BR
Brekkie Wales Wales Today
Has any interview this morning added anything to the story at all? Just a load of hot air and unexpert opinion at the expense of the rest of the news.
Turns out nobody had 2020 vision.
IS
Inspector Sands
I don't think this news is a surprise to anyone, but now it's happened, a month before the election, it's a big story with potentially massive constitutional and national security implications.

You have to wonder how many of his family/entourage had it at the debate the other night and the implications for that in terms of the crew, not to mention Chris Wallace and Joe Biden
IS
Inspector Sands
Has any interview this morning added anything to the story at all? Just a load of hot air and unexpert opinion at the expense of the rest of the news.

Problem is that it's a massive story, but it was announced at 1am DC time so there's very few people to talk to there
Mouseboy33 and BBI45 gave kudos
BB
BBI45 Central (East) East Midlands Today

And of course, the thing you must not do if the ape is enraged is the Macarena.
VA
valley
You have to wonder how many of his family/entourage had it at the debate the other night and the implications for that in terms of the crew, not to mention Chris Wallace and Joe Biden

I don’t think it will have much implications on the recent debate in terms of crew, Biden and Wallace. There seemed to be good social distancing in place. Perhaps if he was mic’d up by a crew member (can’t remember if he had a lav or not) or had makeup there might be a risk there.
ST
Stuart West Country (West) Spotlight
I suppose the main issue here is the impact on the election campaign, and the fact that there are two scheduled TV debates yet to take place. It would be difficult to hold them if one of the participants is via Zoom. (I really doubt they could go down the HIGNFY route of having a 'tub of lard' in place of an absent guest.)

Some media outlets are reporting that GOP can still change their nomination, but I don't see how that's possible when some people in the US have already voted using postal ballots.

It's certainly an intriguing situation, and I suspect the US media are scrabbling about trying to concoct contingency plans for any eventuality.
TI
TIGHazard Tyne Tees Look North (North East)
I suppose the main issue here is the impact on the election campaign, and the fact that there are two scheduled TV debates yet to take place. It would be difficult to hold them if one of the participants is via Zoom. (I really doubt they could go down the HIGNFY route of having a 'tub of lard' in place of an absent guest.)

In a previous election, Clint Eastwood debated an empty chair representing President Obama at the RNC. So nothing would surprise me at this point.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clint_Eastwood_at_the_2012_Republican_National_Convention

"Eastwood's speech was viewed live by 30.3 million people, across at least 11 television networks which were broadcasting coverage of the convention. (Those numbers do not count those watching on C-SPAN, whose audience is not measured.)"

Newer posts