The Newsroom

GB News

A new TV news network chaired by Andrew Neil

JK
JKDerry Recently warned UTV Newsline
Fox News is basically a tv version of the conservative talk radio format, which has been commercially successful for decades. It may go down well with 50+ male viewers, but it loses credibility when they construct untruths to pad out their output.

I'd agree with Jon that Fox would get their mojo back if Trump loses the election and goes back to bashing Biden instead of being centered around their cultish dictoricial 'Republican' President.

Fox News spent 8 years bashing Obama and during those 8 years their ratings increased, it seems when their President type is not in office, they do well in the ratings, as a home for the angry losers of the election. This is why Obama usually ignored Fox News, giving them a taste of their own medicine.

People should watch Pod Save America, podcast with three former Barack Obama speechwriters, they provide a great insight on how the Democrats in the White House deal with Fox News.
GI
ginnyfan World News
^^^^ The same could be said for CNN and MSNBC. They have reached their all time best ratings during Trump's presidency. Not to mention all the Trump themed books written by anyone from prime time anchors to cleaning ladies. These people have earned millions on Trump and despite their non stop bashing of him, I bet most of them secretly pray he wins again.
JK
JK08 Granada North West Today
I could see Eamonn Holmes signing for GB News. Maybe for the morning show if he’d be up for the early starts full time again, or in the evening lineup. He’s not been shy to air his opinions on his TalkRadio show - that viral clip of him slating Meghan Markle springs to mind. And I can imagine him missing hard news since leaving Sunrise.
MS
Mr-Stabby London London
^^^^ The same could be said for CNN and MSNBC. They have reached their all time best ratings during Trump's presidency. Not to mention all the Trump themed books written by anyone from prime time anchors to cleaning ladies. These people have earned millions on Trump and despite their non stop bashing of him, I bet most of them secretly pray he wins again.

Late Night Comedians and hosts like Stephen Colbert would suffer significantly if Trump lost also. Currently the material almost writes itself.
BB
BBI45 West Country (West) Spotlight
Jon posted:
I wouldn’t be surprised if in some ways Fox want Trump to lose. Surely they have more to rally against if the Dems are in charge?

Didn't Fox News have a very frosty relationship with Trump during the 2016 election? The infamous Megyn Kelly feud with Trump which started at the 2015 Republic Presidential Debate caused the frosty feel, and it was not a certainty that Fox News would always side with Trump during the 2016 election.

Vox has a good video on the matter:
And of course, the thing you must not do if the ape is enraged is the Macarena.
CI
cityprod West Country (West) Spotlight

Late Night Comedians and hosts like Stephen Colbert would suffer significantly if Trump lost also. Currently the material almost writes itself.

On the contrary, late night comedians wouldn't suffer at all without Trump in the White House. There was plenty of material for satirising before Trump became President and there will be plenty more after he's gone, whether that 2021 or 2025. In fact, one of the issues of Trump being in the White House is that it's become more difficult to satirise politics, as the kind of stuff that would have been a joke even when George W Bush was in the White House, has been actual events in the Trump White House. It's made the job of comedy writers a lot harder. Most comedy writers are the moment are praying that Biden wins just so we can get a semblence of political normality back, and the comedy can once again feel like comedy, instead of something that could actually happen, and often has.
AN
all new Phil Yorkshire Look North (Yorkshire)

On the contrary, late night comedians wouldn't suffer at all without Trump in the White House. There was plenty of material for satirising before Trump became President and there will be plenty more after he's gone, whether that 2021 or 2025. In fact, one of the issues of Trump being in the White House is that it's become more difficult to satirise politics, as the kind of stuff that would have been a joke even when George W Bush was in the White House, has been actual events in the Trump White House. It's made the job of comedy writers a lot harder. Most comedy writers are the moment are praying that Biden wins just so we can get a semblence of political normality back, and the comedy can once again feel like comedy, instead of something that could actually happen, and often has.

Sure.
WH
Whataday Founding member Wales Wales Today

Sure.

It's clear you have an alternative view. It's a shame you don't go as far to say what it is.
MO
Mouseboy33
FNC continues to be a complete dumpster fire. The crazy train keeps chugging forward. Hope GN"News" keeps its nose clean.

I'm here to give you something to talk about! You're Welcome.
https://youtu.be/1g18oiI2WIU
BR
Brekkie Wales Wales Today
Didn't Fox News have a very frosty relationship with Trump during the 2016 election?

Unrealistic perhaps but I think the problem is news organisations shouldn't really have a relationship of any kind, other than professional, with politicians in general, especially here in the UK.
Turns out nobody had 2020 vision.
AN
all new Phil Yorkshire Look North (Yorkshire)

Sure.

It's clear you have an alternative view. It's a shame you don't go as far to say what it is.

The idea that comedy writers and talk shows in the US haven’t been dining out on Trump over the past few years is ridiculous.
JO
Jon Central (West) Midlands Today
I see where both you and cityprod are coming from. I wouldn’t say it’s “more difficult to satirise politics” because Trump just does the hard work himself. It’s easy in the sense you just have to run the tapes.

I think if Trump loses it won’t be the end of that saga, but in time the late night comedians will just find new targets but they might have to work that bit harder.

I’ve often said “Trump is beyond parody” but that clearly isn’t quite true hence the launch of the new Spitting Image.
Last edited by Jon on 2 October 2020 8:32pm

Newer posts