Mass Media & Technology

Eurosport Player

... to be folded into Discovery+ in the coming years. (October 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
DV
DVB Cornwall
Two limited markets, Hungary and Greece are currently testing an advanced version of the Eurosport Player which features Roland Garros coverage in 4K.

This seems linked to the plans to add 4K to the player via Amazon for the, delayed, Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games.
Last edited by DVB Cornwall on 2 December 2020 6:12pm
JA
james-2001
There's 4K coverage on Virgin Media too, via the red button.
NG
noggin Founding member

As there is on Sky Q if you have the Ultra HD add-on. Eurosport have been doing 4K via broadcast for a couple of years now I think. (It's world feed with no real presentation I think - and no ads)

I think it's specifically the OTT thing that's new. Fingers crossed it's p50 and not p25...
UK
UKnews

As there is on Sky Q if you have the Ultra HD add-on. Eurosport have been doing 4K via broadcast for a couple of years now I think. (It's world feed with no real presentation I think - and no ads)

Just checked and pleasantly surprised to see it's UHD HLG HDR on Virgin. First time I've seen broadcast HLG HDR offered on anything I've had access to, the other times having been streams via BBC iPlayer.
JA
james-2001
I can get Eurospork 4k on Virgin even though we don't have a 4k TV, it's downscaled to 1080p50, though that's still better than 1080i50 to an extent, especially when there's a lot of movement.
NG
noggin Founding member
Just had a look at Eurosport Player UK on my Apple TV 4K - and all the streams I tried were now p50 not p25. Not sure when it changed - but that's great news.

The Sky Q UHD is probably still SDR as first gen Sky Q boxes can't do HDR, and I don't think they can tone map Rec 2020 HLG to Rec 709.
UK
UKnews
The Sky Q UHD is probably still SDR as first gen Sky Q boxes can't do HDR, and I don't think they can tone map Rec 2020 HLG to Rec 709.

It was reported Sky were planning live HLG HDR in time for the Olympics next summer, although it wasn't stated whether that would be the BBC or Eurosport's coverage.

The same report said Sky productions and movies are due before the end of the year to add to their currently (very) limited selection available.

Is this Eurosport French Open coverage the first HLG HDR broadcasts in the UK, or have their been previous ones? (Not counting anything streamed).

Good that Eurosport Player is now 50p, that's another one doing the right thing.
JA
james-2001
Good that Eurosport Player is now 50p, that's another one doing the right thing.

One of very few, sadly. I can only think of the iPlayer and the ITV Hub otherwise (does BritBox do it too, seeing as it uses the same system as the ITV Hub? It's a question which has been failed to be answered on here even though people have asked). Also Amazon Prime on some live sports, but not on all platforms.
UK
UKnews
As we’re talking about Eurosport, in terms of sports streaming and 50p at least on some platforms:

Channel 4, Channel 5, Now TV / Sky, Virgin don’t.
BBC, ITV, Amazon, BT Sport, Eurosport do

No idea about Premier Sports, I’d be surprised if it was any more than 25p.

For the major US sports it’s a mixed bag- NFL and NBA stream at 30p, MLB and NHL stream at 60p. (The NHL service being provided by Disney Streaming Services, spun off from MLB Advanced Media- who very much lead the way in the US.)
LL
London Lite Founding member
As we’re talking about Eurosport, in terms of sports streaming and 50p at least on some platforms:

For the major US sports it’s a mixed bag- NFL and NBA stream at 30p, MLB and NHL stream at 60p. (The NHL service being provided by Disney Streaming Services, spun off from MLB Advanced Media- who very much lead the way in the US.)

Now TV is 50p for some sports channels for those who pay extra. But you are correct that it's 25p for the basic Sports pass.
UK
UKnews

Now TV is 50p for some sports channels for those who pay extra. But you are correct that it's 25p for the basic Sports pass.

Ah yes, I’d forgotten about the ‘boost’ - it was about time they did that!
JA
james-2001
The NHL service being provided by Disney Streaming Services

A shame they don't seem to provide 50/60fps streaming on Disney+. Admittedly there isn't a massive amount of 50/60hz content on there to begin with, a few national geographic shows and older sitcoms (and I think a couple of them went out filmised in the US, but not here).
Last edited by james-2001 on 5 October 2020 7:45pm - 2 times in total

Newer posts