TV Home Forum

The Weakest Link - US Reboot

Some interesting format and presentation changes (September 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
HC
Hatton Cross
Yes, why would ITV want the show?
It's not like there is a quiz show weekdays at 5, which doesn't end in a round where the contestants have to make a chain of correct questions to win the pot of money.. Rolling Eyes
JO
Jonwo
ITV are well stocked when it comes to light entertainment formats whereas BBC One would likely need it more
BR
Brekkie
It's also just not that great a format - indeed most peoples memories of it are the bits in between the actual format. Yes, it did a job for BBC2 especially but I wouldn't say it was the breakout hit in the way Deal or No Deal, Pointless and The Chase were.
JO
Jonwo
It's also just not that great a format - indeed most peoples memories of it are the bits in between the actual format. Yes, it did a job for BBC2 especially but I wouldn't say it was the breakout hit in the way Deal or No Deal, Pointless and The Chase were.

It ran for 12 years, that's still an impressive run.
TI
This Is Granada
Yes, it did a job for BBC2 especially but I wouldn't say it was the breakout hit in the way Deal or No Deal, Pointless and The Chase were.

I have to disagree with you there and say that the Weakest Link has/had been a massive breakout hit for the BBC.

The format been sold to over 75 different countries, yes in some it only lasted 1 year/series etc but in several countries TWL lasted for many many years, France for example. The British original plays out (even to this day) all over the world, 20 years on.

Compare Weakest Link to Pointless (which you claim is a breakout hit?)

Weakest Link started in August 2000 daytime, no real hype or promotion, same as Pointless in August 2009 daytime.

Weakest Link massive hit within weeks, sold like mad in 2001/2002 around the world. Pointless format not really selling like hotcakes like the weakest link was. Pointless apparently has sold to 12 countries outside the UK, with only 3 still airing/making it.

Weakest link like I say sold to well over 75 countries, with to this day still being made/airing in 5 countries.

Weakest link original BBC run was for 11 years, 7 months. Pointless currently at 11 years, 1 month. Both series well over 1000 eps.

Pointless feels like it's on the downwards slope towards its twilight years now ...and let's face it, as soon as both hosts decided to call it a day, the BBC will end it....just like Weakest Link when Anne had enough.

And with the Weakest Link looking like it's about to make/have a new comeback spurt (The U.S. and possibly here) I would say it's the strongest format the Beeb have compared to Pointless.
HC
Hatton Cross
But overseas sales are also down to the distributer and how they 'push' the show on the format sales market.

It could be that BBC Worldwide (as it was named then) were harder at pushing localised versions, and more inclined to do a good deal for broadcasters taking TWL who were already customers of existing BBC formats/shows.

Whereas Banijay/Endemol sales might not have been pushing the Pointless format rights that strongly from the start.
BR
Brekkie
No doubt about it the show did very well in international sales, arguably off the back of Millionaire to an extent. Maybe I'm judging it more in hindsight than as it was when it aired, but for me it hasn't aged very well at all and the format is much weaker than many of the shows that followed. Anne was bigger than the show itself.
BH
BillyH Founding member
It certainly seemed like one of those shows that disappeared with few caring or even realising it was even still on, like the first run of Millionaire and DOND. I forget at times they continued making new episodes after about 2006, as the focus had shifted to other shows by then.
SW
Steve Williams
No doubt about it the show did very well in international sales, arguably off the back of Millionaire to an extent. Maybe I'm judging it more in hindsight than as it was when it aired, but for me it hasn't aged very well at all and the format is much weaker than many of the shows that followed. Anne was bigger than the show itself.

Well, this is the thing, the Weakest Link format is quite similar to other shows and the reason it stood out was because of Anne, and because of the insults and the jokes. The novelty was always going to wear off and the jokes were going to become increasingly contrived, there are only so many insults you can do. Whereas with shows like Pointless and most obviously Countdown, the formats are stronger and it's not so heavily based around the host's appeal so it can run forever.

The obvious example is in 1980 when Family Fortunes and Play Your Cards Right started at the same time, and Brucie asked if Bob could consider a swap. In the end it worked out fine, but Family Fortunes carried on very successfully without Bob, whereas Play Your Cards Right was only ever done (on a regular basis) with Brucie. That illustrates that Family Fortunes had the stronger format, which could cope with a change of host, where Play Your Cards Right was the looser, simpler format that could accommodate, and required, lots of bits of business from the host. Pointless is the former, The Weakest Link is the latter.
Last edited by Steve Williams on 2 October 2020 8:48am - 2 times in total
VM
VMPhil
It certainly seemed like one of those shows that disappeared with few caring or even realising it was even still on, like the first run of Millionaire and DOND. I forget at times they continued making new episodes after about 2006, as the focus had shifted to other shows by then.

I think it actually ended up back on BBC Two by the end, albeit in the afternoon rather than early evening.
TI
This Is Granada

I think it actually ended up back on BBC Two by the end, albeit in the afternoon rather than early evening.

After the final ep on the 31st March 2012 on BBC One, the show moved back to BBC Two for repeats of earlier series (Series 2/3 era) in the 1pm slot on TWO.

TWL has not been on ONE since the 31st March 2012.

I still think with 1693 eps in the can, BBC Two should still be showing them and making use of them, test the water for a comeback?
JO
Jonwo

After the final ep on the 31st March 2012 on BBC One, the show moved back to BBC Two for repeats of earlier series (Series 2/3 era) in the 1pm slot on TWO.

TWL has not been on ONE since the 31st March 2012.

I still think with 1693 eps in the can, BBC Two should still be showing them and making use of them, test the water for a comeback?

I doubt BBC Two will show ancient episodes of The Weakest Link anytime soon.

Newer posts