The Newsroom

Wales Today Central Square launch

(September 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
DT
DTV
Does anybody know what is happening to the old Llandaff Wales Today set? It was still in quite good nick and there are a few English regions with studios that it could fit in.

In these days of cost-cutting at the BBC - it could be an opportunity to give Newcastle or (maybe) Southampton a new set without really spending anything. Afterall, it'd be a shame to throwaway a perfectly functional NBH-style set when most English regions are still using the TC7-style sets.
ST
Stuart
DTV posted:
Does anybody know what is happening to the old Llandaff Wales Today set? It was still in quite good nick and there are a few English regions with studios that it could fit in. .

Bail has probably made space for it already in his garage . . . Very Happy Very Happy
WH
whoiam989
I adore the new look. It's everything that has been so lacking from UK on-screen presentation in recent years.

Spent the last few days trying to decide what the new Newyddion theme reminds me of, and I've worked it out. Do we know who composed it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHqdI18H90o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHlKkUnNvVE

I have no idea who composed the new Newyddion S4C theme, but the current MDR Aktuell theme was composed by John Rea*, who happens to be based in Cardiff, Wales.

*No, not the Canadian composer of the same name.
AndrewPSSP, globaltraffic24 and BBI45 gave kudos
RD
RDJ
DTV posted:
Does anybody know what is happening to the old Llandaff Wales Today set? It was still in quite good nick and there are a few English regions with studios that it could fit in.

Needless to say that Points West is desperate for a new set given their current set is over 10 years old now. And there’s plenty of room for it there.

Let’s hope the BBC see sense and flat pack it destined for a hop across the Severn Bridge.
ST
Stuart
RDJ posted:
Needless to say that Points West is desperate for a new set given their current set is over 10 years old now.

BBC Bristol have form for using second hand sets . . . they gave this one a new home after Liquid News discarded it.
DO
dosxuk
RDJ posted:
Needless to say that Points West is desperate for a new set given their current set is over 10 years old now.

BBC Bristol have form for using second hand sets . . . they gave this one a new home after Liquid News discarded it.

I though this was our stock Liquid News screenshot round here?

http://www.informativostv.com/informativostv/images/BBC/asa00.jpg
UT
UTVLifer
DTV posted:

In these days of cost-cutting at the BBC - it could be an opportunity to give Newcastle or (maybe) Southampton a new set without really spending anything. Afterall, it'd be a shame to throwaway a perfectly functional NBH-style set when most English regions are still using the TC7-style sets.

I was thinking the old Llandaff set might be split in two: Hard & soft and send them to different locations. Definitely BBC Bristol for the desk side with maybe Leeds or Nottingham for the smaller side.

If the set was to remain as it is in Llandaff, one big set, I'd sent it to Tunbridge Wells whose current set is old and much more yellow than white these days
Ittr and Alfie Mulcahy gave kudos
MI
TheMike
DTV posted:

I was thinking the old Llandaff set might be split in two: Hard & soft and send them to different locations. Definitely BBC Bristol for the desk side with maybe Leeds or Nottingham for the smaller side.

If the set was to remain as it is in Llandaff, one big set, I'd sent it to Tunbridge Wells whose current set is old and much more yellow than white these days

Nottingham already has a relatively modern set, with Breakfast style red sofa.
AM
Alfie Mulcahy
DTV posted:

Yeah. It really needs a rebrand.
BB
BBI45
DTV posted:

Yep. Nottingham got a new set in 2016. If they were gonna take anything from Llandaff, it'd be the desk. I can't see them replacing their new (relatively speaking) sofa with the soft area from Llandaff.

BA
Ballyboy
BBC points west doesn’t use the desk much anymore. they should just scrap it all together.
ST
Stuart

Somewhere there is a company making a fortune producing those dreadful looking 'Breakfast style sofas'. Confused
Universal_r, DeMarkay and BBI45 gave kudos

Newer posts