Media Websites

YouTube Gold

ClassicTV gold on youtube (February 2007)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
JA
james-2001
As I said, it seems incredibly strange that there'd be a "UK dub" that would still use American accents, and voices which closely resemble the original. Not to mention that UK dubs of US cartoons seem to have always been restricted to pre-school shows (presumably to try and stop young childen "talking American", though it seems to be very inconsistent which shows get UK dubs and which don't, as I've learned with hours of having to watch Disney Junior and Nick Jr thanks to my nephews and nieces. Doesn't help the UK dubs are pretty much universally awful), which PPG is not. With the exception of the Hanna-Barbera series of SuperTed anyway, where they got Derek Griffiths and Jon Pertwee back to dub the characters they played in the original, and even that was over a decade before the practice of re-dubbing US pre-school cartoons began.

When it comes to cartoon voices, and partly related to the Powerpuff Girls, I have met Jim Cummings, which might be one of the highlights. And my boyfriend's met Charlie Adler, who I wish I'd been able to meet too seeing as I used to be mad for Cow & Chicken when I was 12.
Last edited by james-2001 on 28 September 2020 2:13pm - 3 times in total
IS
Inspector Sands

Strangely enough, the Broom Cupboard presentation style lasted on Milkshake! for over 20 years, it literally changed only three years ago!

Mind you, it was probably down to Channel 5 being acquired by Viacom, and them feeling the need to freshen the strand's look.

Probably more to do with Channel 5 changing playout suppliers, it's now at Red Bee. The links I think are done at Viacom/MTV studios in Camden

There was a story years ago about how Channel 5's kids stuff was going to be sharing studios with Richard Desmonds mucky channels in docklands. I don't know if that ever happened
NW
nwtv2003
what posted:
Gridlock, a game show on Carlton Select, from 1997

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qY67tyk5k48

I’m interested in ITV/Carlton seemingly using Carlton Select as overspill for their Champions League coverage. How long did that last?

Granada Plus also took some overspill Champions League coverage too. From memory Carlton Select usually took Arsenal matches and Granada Plus took Manchester United, and I think Newcastle United at one point.
SW
Steve Williams
Granada Plus also took some overspill Champions League coverage too. From memory Carlton Select usually took Arsenal matches and Granada Plus took Manchester United, and I think Newcastle United at one point.

Yes, although that ended in 1998 when ITV2 began. What is odd in that video is that they're showing a match with no Briish involvement, so seemingly ITV were just making the most of the rights.

It's odd to think that matches involving British teams were on Carlton Select and the cable-only ITV News Channel, and indeed from 1998 to 2001 you couldn't see any of it on Sky because the ITV channels weren't on it, including ITV1.
FA
fanoftv
I have vague memories of Milkshake being around in the summer holidays of 1997, but I’m unsure. It was definitely around from September 1997 as shown in this clip
, the set without pictures would imply that it hadn’t been around for long either.

When it launched the strand focussed on all ages and went through the morning on Saturdays and Sundays featuring more teen skewed dramas and comedies (example in the clip with 90210).

Standard weekday mornings at the time featured a mix of programmes including Havakazoo, Wishbone and Kablam.

In the clip, I think the New Mr Men & Little Miss show was aimed at an older children’s audience.

From 1999 the channel began to split older skewing programmes onto the unnamed teen continuity block...
that ran through the late mornings and afternoons (brilliant for myself at the time who had no access to satellite/cable channels).

It later became ‘The Core’ in 2000

They invested in The Core from Autumn 2001 by bringing in Marc to work with Kate and a set
but then abandoned it not too long afterwards (if only they’d have stayed in the little cupboard 😢)

Before the channel rebrand in 2002, and after the demise of the core they split to focussing mainly on toddlers during milkshake, but used a strange branded slot called ‘milkshake fm’ during Saturday mornings, with a cheap, horrible logo & graphics along with a radio studio set (for unbeknown reasons to me), Eddie Matthews hosted it with it receiving a strong branding as ‘Shake!’ from the channel relaunch.
JA
james-2001
Was it The Core which had a news bulletin with a CGI newsreader? I certainly remember seeing that a few times in the early 00s.
:-(
A former member
Was it The Core which had a news bulletin with a CGI newsreader? I certainly remember seeing that a few times in the early 00s.

Vandrea? That rings a bell. Virtual Andrea.
TI
TIGHazard
There was also the "No Girls Allowed" block.

Not sure if that was separate, or was part of Shake!

JA
james-2001
I'm getting memories of Harry and Cosh now, that show was suprisingly popular at the time.
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
I'm getting memories of Harry and Cosh now, that show was suprisingly popular at the time.

Can't imagine why, it looked like the sort of thing Channel 5 would have commissioned in the early days, ie cheap as chips. It apparently racked up 4 series though, so somebody must have been doing something right.
BH
BillyH Founding member

Vandrea? That rings a bell. Virtual Andrea.

I have part of a ‘Vandrea’ bulletin on video somewhere, it was very surreal - it had one of those early computer synthesis voices which had the inflections all in the wrong places, and the sound and audio weren’t synced so ‘she’ would say goodbye and her mouth would move about a half second apart.
IS
Inspector Sands
I have vague memories of Milkshake being around in the summer holidays of 1997, but I’m unsure. It was definitely around from September 1997 as shown in this clip

I'm pretty sure it was around a lot earlier too, maybe even from the start of the channel - although looking at listings from the time there weren't many blocks of kids programmes to have links between.

However Milkshake doesn't seem to appear in their listings until the autumn

Newer posts