TV Home Forum

The Weakest Link - US Reboot

Some interesting format and presentation changes (September 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
CA
Castries

She even has Annie's wink at the end! Did they think it was something she put on just for the Weakest Link? Smile
JO
Jon

She even has Annie's wink at the end! Did they think it was something she put on just for the Weakest Link? Smile

To be fair, I think other versions picked up the wink too. I guess it’s just a nice nod to the original in any case.
JO
Jonwo
I really like Jane as host. Mean but funny.
WH
Whataday Founding member
It certainly does benefit from having a team of writers coming up with one liners.
TI
This Is Granada
Finally watched the full first episode, really enjoyed it and a great modern update to a 20 year old format! This most definitely could be used as a template for a BBC reboot. Few tweak/changes that I would have made for a UK reboot though:

Money Chain works/looks better on the left, clock on the right. (I suspect the NBC dog forces this change in the U.S.)

Why does the clock have to fade out?? Keep the countdown clock on screen...it adds to the pressure/tension/drama with the clock ticking down to the end of the round.

Pressing the button to bank....not needed, get rid. The button is only needed to reveal your vote.

Jane's podium looks rather small, the screen not as big/as grand as Anne's in the original. Make the hosts podium screen bigger (maybe cos Jane's so tall it makes the podium screen look so short?)

The hosts podium floor does not stand out from the main floor, would rather it stood out more, make the host look more important.

Jane not accepting the answer until she's finished the question...this should change, the contestant needs to be able to should out the answer if the time is about to run out.

Voting over, reveal the votes first before the chats and putdowns from the host.

When the weakest link is doing the walk of shame, it's annoying the other contestants talking nonsense, stupid comments (this sort of thing is in many American TV shows and creeping into more UK ones too). The walk of shame should just be the loud powerful music...gives more tension/impact to the walk of shame.

A final round to build up the bank between the final 2 players would be nice. I suspect due to adverts this round is cut, but the BBC don't have this problem so could add this round...and even have the full lineup of 9 players instead of just 8.

The modern update to the music, graphics is great. Maybe the Beeb would go for the classic logo of the Weakest Link on top of the rings rather then the Americans always insisting on the Weakest Link logo inside the rings.

Finally Jane is a really good host, perfect for this U.S. reboot. For the UK, Anne will be rather hard to follow, if it does come back the Beeb will need to choose a host wisely. A damp squid of a host could really damage a UK reboot.
BR
Brekkie
I think the reception in the US seems to be great host, but actually the formats not that great and certainly not capable of sustaining a primetime hour. Indeed I think the plan after launching it at 8pm is to move it to a 10pm slot, which seems an odd slot for a game show, especially in the US.
JL
JamesLaverty1925
Finally watched the full first episode, really enjoyed it and a great modern update to a 20 year old format! This most definitely could be used as a template for a BBC reboot. Few tweak/changes that I would have made for a UK reboot though:

Money Chain works/looks better on the left, clock on the right. (I suspect the NBC dog forces this change in the U.S.)

Why does the clock have to fade out?? Keep the countdown clock on screen...it adds to the pressure/tension/drama with the clock ticking down to the end of the round.

Pressing the button to bank....not needed, get rid. The button is only needed to reveal your vote.

Jane's podium looks rather small, the screen not as big/as grand as Anne's in the original. Make the hosts podium screen bigger (maybe cos Jane's so tall it makes the podium screen look so short?)

The hosts podium floor does not stand out from the main floor, would rather it stood out more, make the host look more important.

Jane not accepting the answer until she's finished the question...this should change, the contestant needs to be able to should out the answer if the time is about to run out.

Voting over, reveal the votes first before the chats and putdowns from the host.

When the weakest link is doing the walk of shame, it's annoying the other contestants talking nonsense, stupid comments (this sort of thing is in many American TV shows and creeping into more UK ones too). The walk of shame should just be the loud powerful music...gives more tension/impact to the walk of shame.

A final round to build up the bank between the final 2 players would be nice. I suspect due to adverts this round is cut, but the BBC don't have this problem so could add this round...and even have the full lineup of 9 players instead of just 8.

The modern update to the music, graphics is great. Maybe the Beeb would go for the classic logo of the Weakest Link on top of the rings rather then the Americans always insisting on the Weakest Link logo inside the rings.

Finally Jane is a really good host, perfect for this U.S. reboot. For the UK, Anne will be rather hard to follow, if it does come back the Beeb will need to choose a host wisely. A damp squid of a host could really damage a UK reboot.

I've often thought either Jenny Ryan or Craig Revel Horwood would be good picks for a UK reboot
SJ
sjames

Immediate thoughts for a potential replacement for Anne, if she didn't want to do it again would perhaps be someone like Mary Portas or Alex Polizzi, as both have got stern qualities and putdowns but have charm too. Alternatively on a less serious note, for a real curveball, you could get someone like Gill Harbord from Ladette to Lady or Lady Colin Campbell! Shocked Wink
JO
Jonwo
My choices for a potential host for a UK reboot would be Victoria Coren Mitchell, Emma Barnett, Rob Rinder or Tom Allen.
RD
RDJ
Rob Rinder would be excellent for it. Just a shame he’s an ITV face rather than a BBC face.

Though if ITV decide to resurrect it with the BBC producing it.... it’s possible!
BBI45 and davidhorman gave kudos
JO
Jonwo
RDJ posted:
Rob Rinder would be excellent for it. Just a shame he’s an ITV face rather than a BBC face.

Though if ITV decide to resurrect it with the BBC producing it.... it’s possible!

Rob isn't exclusive to ITV, he's done Strictly, Who Do You Think You Are and an upcoming documentary for BBC One and he did The Rob Rinder Verdict for Channel 4 so he'd be fine on a Weakest Link reboot.
DM
DeMarkay
RDJ posted:

Why would ITV resurrect it?

Newer posts