TV Home Forum

Reminiscing The Big Breakfast

New podcast launched - page 33 (September 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
JC
JCB
Which no-one needed.

Which no one watched either.

It was well known RI:SE’s ratings never got higher than those of the BB at their lowest

They didn't really give it time to. I think the original format had potential and was maybe ahead of it's time.
BR
Brekkie
I think GMB actually owes quite a bit to RI:SE Mk 1.
DM
DeMarkay
Bring Back RI:SE!
VM
VMPhil
Not sure I've ever seen that ident surface online - it mustn't have been used very often or for long.

With thanks to @UKPRES1 on Twitter for pointing me in the direction of this video featuring said ident. For some reason I'd always imagined it as being part of the circles era, but that didn't start until October.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgXeJO-RGJ0

No doubt about it that was a poor choice of ident for the morning after Dunblane.

Pedanticy alert but of course that wasn't an ident, it was a sting. Might be worth a topic on the C4 presentation of that era where the classic idents remained (although modified), but they were much more experimental in the presentation around them.

Hmm, also just realised that in that example, it follows a trail with the final line of ‘Shoot hoops not guns’!
SP
Steve in Pudsey
The pilot that Chris Moyles and Dominic Byrne did was for Planet 24's potential replacement for The Big Breakfast. They filmed it at the Big Breakfast house as they had the facilities there to do it

Aren't you all getting mixed up with that evening show he did on Channel 5 in 2002

No. https://www.facebook.com/RadioXBreakfast/videos/1926118360941402
IS
Inspector Sands

Aren't you all getting mixed up with that evening show he did on Channel 5 in 2002

No because that wasn't made by Planet 24, it was made by whatever Chris Evans' production company was at the time, UMTV?

No, he did film a revamped "Big Breakfast" pilot back in 2001. As was said, some clips from it were leaked a few years back.

Ahhhh as the video shows.

I seem to recall Moyles saying that it was done a bit hush hush at the weekend so not many of the BB team knew it was happening.
BR
Brekkie
No wonder it didn't get picked up.
WH
Whataday Founding member
I was once shown a copy years ago. It wasn't that bad as I recall, but it also wasn't The Big Breakfast. It had a lot of pre-recorded inserts and actually felt like a sketch show with some live bits slotted in.
BR
Brekkie
Talking of the news and the clip posted earlier was a reminder that Angela Rippon was a regular stand in for Peter Smith, which was quite a coup at the time. I think Carol Barnes also cover as well, and possibly Jan Leeming.
RE
regvariations
Talking of the news and the clip posted earlier was a reminder that Angela Rippon was a regular stand in for Peter Smith, which was quite a coup at the time. I think Carol Barnes also cover as well, and possibly Jan Leeming.

And John Craven, at some point during Johnny Vaughan's era.
JA
james-2001
Clearly looks like they were planning on ditching the ITN provided bulletins if the revamped version had been commissioned, and having Dom present them from the house.
FL
Flux
The pilot that Chris Moyles and Dominic Byrne did was for Planet 24's potential replacement for The Big Breakfast. They filmed it at the Big Breakfast house as they had the facilities there to do it

No. https://www.facebook.com/RadioXBreakfast/videos/1926118360941402

I think Tim’s checking Inspector Sands wasn’t confused as he calls it a pilot for a new show just using the BB facilities when, in fact, it was a revamped Big Breakfast pilot at that time - but Moyles piloted a new show soon afterwards for C5.

Watching those clips I really wonder why they used the current graphics package on the new pilot. It just cheapens it and associates it with the state of the BB and I doubt that would have helped sell this as a fresh revamp to C4 at the time...

Was that Planet 24’s only “new BB” pitch? Weren’t there rumours of them also making an alternate pilot (not including Moyles) at the same time?

Newer posts