TV Home Forum

Smtv Live reunion

ME
mediaman2007
Its funny watching some of these clips on youtube. In 2001 the show was at the top of its game and SMTV and CDUK were one long family light entertainment show. Very soon after ant and dec left SMTV turned into a very traditional bbc style kiddy show with more interviews and competitions than comedy sketches and CDUK a too cool for school music show. Im not saying ant and dec were the only reason for its success but the format certainly shifted.
PF
PFML84 UTV Newsline
I don't remember that more low-key version of the theme tune with the sound effects, I always remember it being much more lively and punchier and with no effects for the animated characters doing anything on screen.
CA
Castries

Ah here we go... Go to about 6:30 and you can see the clock just about hitting 9:25:59 https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Tcmr77zo3Ko

Ah, a blast from the past and a very typical episode - Atomic Kitten and Blue!
Interesting to see how quickly they spotted Ant wasn't wearing a poppy, and it's certainly a bold choice to have an interview with Cilla Black about the ITC's concerns regarding the sexualisation of Blind Date on a show for kids (1:14:00 in the video)!
WH
Whataday Founding member Wales Wales Today
it's certainly a bold choice to have an interview with Cilla Black about the ITC's concerns regarding the sexualisation of Blind Date on a show for kids (1:14:00 in the video)!

I'd say "Is it the IBC? The ITC? One of them C's anyway..." was even more risque.
JA
james-2001 Central (East) East Midlands Today
Oh and the centre bit on the 1999-2003 set with the clock and SMTV branding was glass whereas the rebuilt one just seems to be Plastic.

Guess you can understand why, with this set only being used for a one-off, whereas the other one was constantly being put up and taken down week after week, so needed to be sturdy.
ME
mediaman2007
Oh and the centre bit on the 1999-2003 set with the clock and SMTV branding was glass whereas the rebuilt one just seems to be Plastic.

Guess you can understand why, with this set only being used for a one-off, whereas the other one was constantly being put up and taken down week after week, so needed to be sturdy.

Of course. Totally understandable. Im impressed with how much of an effort they did go to for a documentary.
JA
Unless there truly is a plan to do a one-off proper SM:TV show in future and it means they have a set ready.
ME
mediaman2007
Unless there truly is a plan to do a one-off proper SM:TV show in future and it means they have a set ready.

Im sure they want to do it but getting ITV to commission something even as a one off is a different matter. Even if you are ant and dec. Like everything even the idea has been ruined for the foreseeable by covid.
AN
Andrew Founding member Yorkshire Look North (Yorkshire)
it's certainly a bold choice to have an interview with Cilla Black about the ITC's concerns regarding the sexualisation of Blind Date on a show for kids (1:14:00 in the video)!

I'd say "Is it the IBC? The ITC? One of them C's anyway..." was even more risque.

Can you imagine the prize of a year’s supply of biscuits these days

Otherwise that clip doesn’t include a classic Wonkey Donkey, it wasn’t up to the standard of ‘you’re mam’s rubbish as well’
WH
Whataday Founding member Wales Wales Today
I don't remember that more low-key version of the theme tune with the sound effects, I always remember it being much more lively and punchier and with no effects for the animated characters doing anything on screen.

Initially SM:tv launched using the CD:UK theme tune, with the distorted voice saying something like "Saturday" instead of "Countdown UK".

I vividly remember watching ITV's Saturday previous morning show 'Mashed' preview the first episode of SM:TV the week before launch. They went live to Ant & Dec who were backstage at The London Studios preparing for the show. It seemed like just another generic show and I remember thinking they had no chance.
VM
VMPhil Granada North West Today

If you're talking about the post-2001 theme, that was indeed inferior to the better remembered one, though it had sound effects too:

This example is from the last week before that revamp.
JA
It was those pre-September 2001 theme and graphics they used on the final edition as well, rather than more recent ones.

Newer posts