Mass Media & Technology

BBC iplayer Trailers

(September 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
MA
Markymark
It's bad enough to be bombarded with trailers on iplayer, but WTF is it now bombarding me with trailers for programmes and series I've already watched ?!
In one case, just 30 seconds previously.

It must know it's me , because when I pick up something half watched, it knows exactly the point where to restart from. <sigh>
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
I suspect the trailers are picked randomly from a pool, and have no bearing on whether you've seen it before.

Mind you the number of times I've seen a trailer on TV for something I happen to be watching on TV at the time... Though this tends to happen more on the smaller channels.
DV
DVB Cornwall
On what platforms are you seeing these, I don't get them at all.
MA
Markymark
I suspect the trailers are picked randomly from a pool, and have no bearing on whether you've seen it before.

Possibly. Not very smart code writing, they should be bombarding me with stuff they think will interest me, based on my profile habits, but hey!
MA
Markymark
On what platforms are you seeing these, I don't get them at all.

Iplayer on my 2018 Samsung Telly, and on Windows 10/Firefox on my laptop

How are you managing to avoid them?!
DV
DVB Cornwall
I'm switched to Beta so that might be relevant.

EDIT

Also some viewing is done via AppleTV too, which has it's quirks and as a result might not trigger the required call for the trailers to roll.
Last edited by DVB Cornwall on 28 September 2020 10:47pm
PE
Pete Founding member

Possibly. Not very smart code writing, they should be bombarding me with stuff they think will interest me, based on my profile habits, but hey!

This is from the website that nags you about a tv licence and saves your response in a cookie even though you have to log in to watch things

Newer posts