The Newsroom

Wales Today Central Square launch

(September 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
WH
wheator
Very Happy lol Sour grapes methinks!
The views around the new building visible from this glass box of a studio are very nice, but the "set" (pah!) consisting of solely a desk lost in the middle of an otherwise empty large room is barely a step up from LDN's original "corridor-for-a-studio" (i.e. with literally no "set" as such).
WH
Whataday Founding member
I wonder if we might see some AR during the main programme tonight to put all that empty space into use...
welshkid and Alfie Mulcahy gave kudos
MO
Mouseboy33
The overall, the set up is nice. Nice camera moves. I agree it does feel very dark. Not sure about that matte black floor. One major issue to me is the actual studio lighting. The presenter at the desk and the guest...absolutely awful lighting. The lights IMO are the wrong temperature. They are cold and leaning into the blue spectrum and it makes the shot completely flat. But also the light on the main presenter position needs to be completely re-lit. It could be the black-top desk.... maybe some in-desk chin lights?. But there shadows under the chin and eyes makes the entire view look completely flat and the presenter look tired and haggard. Also the overall studio has zero texture lighting. When you have such a wide expanse across a wide open floor, texture lighting does wonders. OVerall its not a bad look. I just wish they pulled a BBC Scotland, and went for something completely different than just a regional-esque look. But its nice.

Here is the texture lighting on the floor.... blue spots at night and warmer spots during the day, used by Clickspring at the DC Bureau.
DE
deejay
Maybe they're ahead of the times, the wood-effect flooring was around in their sets 20 years ago.

I think what I dislike about the BBC news studios is that they look only like a BBC news studio. They look like no place you would ever visit or see, other than a BBC news studio, and that's very unrelatable - especially on a programme like Breakfast. Compare it to Good Morning Britain which feels warm and inviting and like a sort of modern office you can imagine visiting.

So let me get this straight, you instantly recognise a BBC news studio as a BBC news studio. I’d say that was a triumph of branding, no?
DA
dafydd
The pictures that Derek took actually make the studio look a bit better, with the red wash across the floor. I guess they will want to show off the space in the first few weeks by having a high and wide angle but they could eventually have tighter shots.

bkman1990, Rkolsen and BBI45 gave kudos
LL
London Lite Founding member
Only one minor niggle, I'm not a fan of the sofa around the side of the desk for guests and correspondents. Should have gone for chairs and a seperate soft area.

The screens though look amazing and the weather map from them personally looked the most detailed from a HD plasma screen. (Edit: Behnaz told me it's 8K screens on Twitter).

I look forward to seeing how it works for the main bulletin.
Last edited by London Lite on 28 September 2020 6:24pm
bkman1990 and scottishtv gave kudos
MA
Markymark
I wonder if we might see some AR during the main programme tonight to put all that empty space into use...

Are the BBC Nations news programmes awarded the same budget in terms of technical resources as the English regions? If so I don't think there will be anything like AR deployed?
NG
noggin Founding member
The overall, the set up is nice. Nice camera moves. I agree it does feel very dark. Not sure about that matte black floor. One major issue to me is the actual studio lighting. The presenter at the desk and the guest...absolutely awful lighting. The lights IMO are the wrong temperature. They are cold and leaning into the blue spectrum and it makes the shot completely flat. But also the light on the main presenter position needs to be completely re-lit. It could be the black-top desk.... maybe some in-desk chin lights?. But there shadows under the chin and eyes makes the entire view look completely flat and the presenter look tired and haggard. Also the overall studio has zero texture lighting. When you have such a wide expanse across a wide open floor, texture lighting does wonders. OVerall its not a bad look. I just wish they pulled a BBC Scotland, and went for something completely different than just a regional-esque look. But its nice.

Here is the texture lighting on the floor.... blue spots at night and warmer spots during the day, used by Clickspring at the DC Bureau.

Given that the studio has a large window onto a daylight lit atrium, with daylight colour temperature light potentially hitting areas of the studio - I suspect the colour temperature they are lighting the studio to needs to be towards the daylight end of the range otherwise you'll end up with a mix of colour temperature light sources which is always a recipe for a problem. Sure you can make the 'cold daylight blue' a feature - but it isn't always a great solution. You can put CTO or similar on the windows - but that's not perfect either...

Most window studios I know of light to daylight colour temperature and then warm up the shots in the vision control area - rather than lighting them warm and having a mix of colour temperatures lighting people.

The BBC Wales studio also, presumably, has to provide a home to S4C's Newyddion (which is further away from the BBC News brand) so it will be interesting to see how the studio is used for that. I expect the black floor is a compromise to avoid overlay branding the studio one way or the other.
AJ
AJ

Are the BBC Nations news programmes awarded the same budget in terms of technical resources as the English regions? If so I don't think there will be anything like AR deployed?

Doesn't The Nine usually have some kind of AR stuff going on with screens and the like?
BB
BBI45
AJ posted:

Doesn't The Nine usually have some kind of AR stuff going on with screens and the like?

I'm fairly sure they have in the past. However, I don't watch The Nine that often, so I'm not sure if they still do.
BR
Brekkie
Massive wrap around screen then use an AR screen for the intro.
bkman1990, Universal_r and jordanhowell gave kudos
ST
Stuart
Oh my, that's a nice opening sequence on the 3 screens in the studio. Very Happy
bkman1990 and Universal_r gave kudos

Newer posts