The Newsroom

Wales Today Central Square launch

(September 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
SH
Sh1ruba

Seems like they scrapped the full titles in favour of a short intro like the national bulletins before showing a shot of the studio.
Alfie Mulcahy and bkman1990 gave kudos
RO
rob Founding member

Seems like they scrapped the full titles in favour of a short intro like the national bulletins before showing a shot of the studio.

As mentioned on the previous page..
SH
Sh1ruba
Weather pres summed up:-

Not a bad studio, although some of the acoustics in the lunchtime news weren't great. But I'd guess that's something that can be ironed out in time.

Yeah, hopefully, they could brighten up the studio in the future to look less gloomy?
Rkolsen and Ballyboy gave kudos
JO
Joe
A cheeky rostrum might solve the issue of the furniture floating in the middle of nowhere, but it depends on whether they're planning to be more flexible with it, moving it around a lot more than previously – that could be the plan.

I think it looks pretty good, though as ever I don't love design that's basically just a wall of screens (that's what a lot of it is, after all).
Worzel, Alfie Mulcahy and what gave kudos
BK
bkman1990
I thought that was a pretty good start for BBC Wales Today's new home. To me; the new short titles & the camera pans taking place inside the new studio looked to be the biggest change at the start of the bulletin. The new studio/newsroom tour for BBC Wales Today sounds like that it could be a treat for the viewers who will be watching it later on this evening.
Alfie Mulcahy and Sh1ruba gave kudos
SE
seamus
I think it looks great - it is a bit dark, but most of that is due to the designs placed on the LED walls, rather than the design of the set itself.
Universal_r, Alfie Mulcahy and Sh1ruba gave kudos
CR
Critique
Like others have said, I'm not a huge fan of studios that primarily consist of big screens and little else, but on the whole it looks pretty good. On the wide shots when it becomes clear the set is just a desk surrounded by screens I think it looks less impressive, but the individual standing up positions and backdrops all look very neat. It's nice to see some robotic cameras in there to allow for some moving shots too!

The newsroom does seem pretty dark though - on the main presenter shot used in the video on the previous page the area directly behind the presenter just looks like a black wall. Compared to the NBH newsroom there's an absence of screens and lit up elements that would perhaps make the reflections of the screens inside the studio less noticeable?
WO
Worzel
Like others have said, I'm not a huge fan of studios that primarily consist of big screens and little else, but on the whole it looks pretty good. On the wide shots when it becomes clear the set is just a desk surrounded by screens I think it looks less impressive, but the individual standing up positions and backdrops all look very neat. It's nice to see some robotic cameras in there to allow for some moving shots too!

The newsroom does seem pretty dark though - on the main presenter shot used in the video on the previous page the area directly behind the presenter just looks like a black wall. Compared to the NBH newsroom there's an absence of screens and lit up elements that would perhaps make the reflections of the screens inside the studio less noticeable?

It's nice to see a live newsroom view but agree about the lighting. Reminds me a bit of when the BBC Sport newsroom set first opened. A change of lighting and maybe some coloured gels might help.
Last edited by Worzel on 28 September 2020 6:19pm
Alfie Mulcahy, Critique and LondonViewer gave kudos
TR
trivialmatters
Maybe they're ahead of the times, the wood-effect flooring was around in their sets 20 years ago.

I think what I dislike about the BBC news studios is that they look only like a BBC news studio. They look like no place you would ever visit or see, other than a BBC news studio, and that's very unrelatable - especially on a programme like Breakfast. Compare it to Good Morning Britain which feels warm and inviting and like a sort of modern office you can imagine visiting.
BR
Brekkie
To be fair though this one doesn't look like the generic BBC News studios of the last few years.

Agree the desk is a bit of a let down but otherwise it's a great space and benefits from them not opting to over fill it by adding a sofa area, second desk etc. It will also be quite easy to update with any subsequent new corporate look.
Universal_r and Alfie Mulcahy gave kudos
LV
LondonViewer
Very nice overall. Clean & modern but still fits in with current BBC News look.

RDJ posted:

This shot needs some work. Drab. Looks dated.

Sound isn’t great on clip. Hopefully better on TV?
SE
seamus
Maybe they're ahead of the times, the wood-effect flooring was around in their sets 20 years ago.

I think what I dislike about the BBC news studios is that they look only like a BBC news studio. They look like no place you would ever visit or see, other than a BBC news studio, and that's very unrelatable - especially on a programme like Breakfast. Compare it to Good Morning Britain which feels warm and inviting and like a sort of modern office you can imagine visiting.

To me that is one of the things I do like about BBC News studios - I don't think they are supposed to be relatable. Their design is so geometric and minimalist as to almost exist outside of trends or feelings about relatability, yet somehow are iconic and instantly recognizable. Even with this sparseness, they're not alienating, just functional. For a broadcaster so focused on neutrality and not letting presentation get in the way of content, this is a good thing. The NBH studios are all 7 years old but have aged well - much better than the revolving door of what, 3 distinct studio styles from 1999-2006?

Newer posts