TV Home Forum

BBC Three to piggyback CBeebies

Broadcast have learned BBC Three may use existing spectrum (September 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
IE
iee_reith
According to Broadcast, BBC Three will air on Freeview Channel 202 after CBeebies closes at 7pm.

This will allow the digital channel to return to linear without requiring more spectrum investment. There is currently no firm decision taken, but it's claimed an announcement is imminent.
GO
gottago
BBC4 uses the CBeebies slot so they've got that muddled up. The only available slot is CBBC post 9pm unless they turn the red button channel into a timeshare which I think would be unlikely.
bkman1990 and iee_reith gave kudos
DV
dvboy
Unless BBC4 is to start at 9pm, or CBBC goes back to finishing at 7pm.
Last edited by dvboy on 28 September 2020 2:25pm
IS
Inspector Sands
Yes, and why would it be on 202 when that's the kids section? Sounds like either someone's making it up or there's something very muddled here.

BBC4 uses the CBeebies slot so they've got that muddled up. The only available slot is CBBC post 9pm unless they turn the red button channel into a timeshare which I think would be unlikely.

CBBC after 9pm is free, but not in HD in Scotland
DV
dvboy
Yes, and why would it be on 202 when that's the kids section? Sounds like either someone's making it up or there's something very muddled here.

Sounds like someone doesn't know what they're talking about.
gordonthegopher, Brekkie and iee_reith gave kudos
GO
gottago
dvboy posted:

Sounds like someone doesn't know what they're talking about.

I expect they're right that it's coming back to linear but the author just doesn't really know how TV time sharing works or what's actually available to the BBC in terms of free slots. I reckon a 9pm share with CBBC is what will happen, the channel doesn't really need to be on before 9 and a few BBC4 shows do well at 8 so I can't see them swapping BBC4's slot around.
gordonthegopher, bkman1990 and iee_reith gave kudos
JA
james-2001
Moving BBC4 to a 21:00 start would mean no more Bob Ross 😱
Ghost, Josh and Larry the Loafer gave kudos
PF
PFML84
It will use the spectrum of CBeebies but won't be on 202. I imagine they will get a much better LCN for it on all the various platforms.
BA
Ballyboy
when should we officially know when bbc three returns as a tv channel
PF
PFML84
As soon as the BBC announces it, which Broadcast are saying is "imminent".
JA
james-2001
It will use the spectrum of CBeebies but won't be on 202. I imagine they will get a much better LCN for it on all the various platforms.

If it gets the spectrum of CBeebies, where does BBC4 go?
DO
dosxuk

If it gets the spectrum of CBeebies, where does BBC4 go?

More importantly, if one of BBC 3 and BBC 4 is getting shifted to start at 9pm, where is Eurovision going to go? Shocked

Newer posts